Watering the lawn ? (again!!)

Closed Thread
Old 12-18-2013, 05:04 PM

Why can't TV residents utilize xeriscaping?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2012 View Post
I think it measures moisture in the air not the ground the sensor is on the edge of the roof, nothing is the ground, nice system.

When the irrigation company stop by to show me the system she said just leave it on bypass or u won't get enough water......that made zero sense, I put it on, if it wet or raining guess what the sprinklers don't turn on.

I tried to do it, the VP of TV said it ain't happening, but what about the Fl law that says I can do it, not here.

I agree 110%

It amazing to see them going off at all hours of the day & nite up and down the street.

Also you not supposed to water around palms in the sun the water magnifies the water droplets on the frons and burns holes into them.
Old 12-18-2013, 05:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

We lived on sand dunes at Lake Michigan. There were only about three inches of topsoil, then all sand. The condo complex watered every day for ten minutes. Anything more would just drain down through the sand and not benefit the grass. The grass was lush and beautiful, but of course that was a northern climate.

I've been tempted to try that here, but 5 minutes a night.
Old 12-18-2013, 05:41 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimlocke View Post
Why can't TV residents utilize xeriscaping?
What would we do with all of the stormwater runoff that is the source of our irrigation water?
Old 12-18-2013, 05:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,354 Times in 2,392 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
We lived on sand dunes at Lake Michigan. There were only about three inches of topsoil, then all sand. The condo complex watered every day for ten minutes. Anything more would just drain down through the sand and not benefit the grass. The grass was lush and beautiful, but of course that was a northern climate.

I've been tempted to try that here, but 5 minutes a night.
Too much moisture could lead to fungus.
Old 12-18-2013, 05:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,354 Times in 2,392 Posts

For other dummies, like me.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Xeriscaping (less commonly xeroscape) refers to landscaping and gardening in ways that reduce or eliminate the need for supplemental water from irrigation. It is promoted in regions that do not have easily accessible, plentiful, or reliable supplies of fresh water, and is gaining acceptance in other areas as water becomes more limiting. Xeriscaping may be an alternative to various types of traditional gardening.[1]

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.