Watering schedule

Closed Thread
Old 06-24-2021, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
You can view your monthly water bill and historic usage online at districtgov.org. You can also view your neighbors' usage and compare it to yours.
How is your meter read in TV?
Old 06-24-2021, 07:06 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Watering is confusing at best. First of all the Northern Sections use potable water, drinking water on their landscape. The Southern sections use recycled water, not fit to drink.

Aside, I asked the other day at cooperative extension if it is ok to water things you are growing to eat with that water and the reply was they will get back to me. They don't know either. Anyone growing vegetables, fruit trees they are obviously getting hit with this water.

As to lawn watering. People are saying stuff like time per zone etc. That is almost meaningless. Different heads, systems will put out more or less water per minute.
You want to measure the amount of water hitting each area. Easy to do place shallow
cups, like clean tuna cans around your lawn and measure it.
Your water bill-each address has a meter. The more you use the more you pay per gallon. If, you have a larger property not only do you use more water but you pay more for every gallon you use. Like income tax, you go through the lower brackets and then pay a higher rate above each section.

That rain sensor we all have on the side of your home. Many people have clipped the wire because of issues. Many others have failed, they are simply cork and they do not last.

Right now, it is rainy season, my automatic watering system is manually shut off. I also
manually shut it off most of the winter.
Fertilizer. More is not better. Fertilizer causes the grass to grow-forces it to grow. The more your lawn grows the more water it needs and the more often it needs to be mowed. If, you hire a person to mow your lawn they will only mow once a week.
You are not supposed to remove more than 1/3 of the grass blade when you mow.
When your lawn is really growing it may well need to be mowed twice a week
Old 06-24-2021, 07:11 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRMACK55 View Post
How is your meter read in TV?
I think in the older sections they have a conventional meter. In the newer sections the meter is under one of those plastic plates in your front lawn. The meter reader does not remove the plate to read it, he/she has an electronic device that reads through the plate.
Old 06-24-2021, 07:18 AM

Thanks J1Caesar, now I know why people bring their dog to my lawn.
Old 06-24-2021, 07:24 AM

Turn the sprinklers off during the rainy season. If we go through a week with no rain, turn it back on.
Old 06-24-2021, 07:25 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,015 Times in 1,009 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy1 View Post
Thanks J1Caesar, now I know why people bring their dog to my lawn.
Old 06-24-2021, 07:32 AM

I have been in lawn irrigation for 40+ years. The Orbit B-Hive is amazing. By WiFi it receives weather updates and will skip watering during cool or wet weather.

Last edited by Ski Bum; 06-24-2021 at 07:32 AM. Reason: missing "wet"
Old 06-24-2021, 07:34 AM
Default Where to buy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DARFAP View Post
Yep. I replaced my Hunter controller with a Hunter wifi controller. I can control it from my phone, and it also will use the weather forecast to water or not water per your set schedule. Best option.
Is the Hunter Controller available to buy locally and can one install it themself?
Seeing it takes the weather into account is this all one needs to water lawn efficiently?
Thank you.
Old 06-24-2021, 07:56 AM
Default Hunter Wifi

Quote:
Originally Posted by DARFAP View Post
Yep. I replaced my Hunter controller with a Hunter wifi controller. I can control it from my phone, and it also will use the weather forecast to water or not water per your set schedule. Best option.
It is best to use Hunter wife replacements as they can be installed in five minutes without any wiring changes. It just replaces your current controller going into the same box.
Old 06-24-2021, 07:59 AM

So get yourself a good neighbor that watches your home. I watch some neighbors homes while they are away for months. At this time I have the water off for obvious reasons. Back on if we get in a dry spell.
Old 06-24-2021, 08:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 8,245 Times in 4,280 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earlride View Post
It is best to use Hunter wife replacements as they can be installed in five minutes without any wiring changes. It just replaces your current controller going into the same box.
Wait, Hunter has a WIFE replacement?

How am I just learning about this and how much does it cost?

-Tom Petty
Old 06-24-2021, 08:18 AM
Sage
Thanked 8,245 Times in 4,280 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrf6969 View Post
So get yourself a good neighbor that watches your home. I watch some neighbors homes while they are away for months. At this time I have the water off for obvious reasons. Back on if we get in a dry spell.
One of my neighbors does that for me.

Bumps up the time when the lawn browns out, reduces the time when it looks better...

-Tom Petty
Old 06-24-2021, 06:03 PM

There should be a guide card on the inside door of your clock, or ask your lawn service
Closed Thread

Tags
schedule, watering, water, summer, back

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.