Watering Zoysia

Watering Zoysia

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements

Watering Zoysia
Old 12-05-2018, 07:40 PM

Default Watering Zoysia

What is a proper watering schedule for zoysia this time of year?

Old 12-06-2018, 10:19 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliets View Post
What is a proper watering schedule for zoysia this time of year?
My schedule is OFF from now through about March 1. The grass is dormant and the occasional showers are all that is needed. If it doesern't rain, watering about every other week is all that is needed.

My opinion and I bet you get many different opinions.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-2018, 10:35 AM
Sage

Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.

Quote:
Originally Posted by champion6 View Post
My schedule is OFF from now through about March 1. The grass is dormant and the occasional showers are all that is needed. If it doesern't rain, watering about every other week is all that is needed.

My opinion and I bet you get many different opinions.
Old 12-06-2018, 02:48 PM

I recommend watering at least one time per week during the winter. Last winter I damaged my lawn by not watering it much at all. Some areas died. The lawn had to be repaired this past spring. My lawn repair tech said due to Florida's mild winter climate the grass here never really goes completely dormant, as it does in northern states. He recommends irrigating at least once per week in winter. So, this winter I've set my irrigation system to once per week. In the summer I water my lawn three times per week. In the spring and fall, two times per week. However, since I live in The Villages full-time and can manage my system, I turn the irrigation off during a week when we get a decent amount of rain. My lawn is looking much healthier now.
Old 12-06-2018, 03:29 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdarcy View Post
I recommend watering at least one time per week during the winter. Last winter I damaged my lawn by not watering it much at all. Some areas died. The lawn had to be repaired this past spring. My lawn repair tech said due to Florida's mild winter climate the grass here never really goes completely dormant, as it does in northern states. He recommends irrigating at least once per week in winter. So, this winter I've set my irrigation system to once per week. In the summer I water my lawn three times per week. In the spring and fall, two times per week. However, since I live in The Villages full-time and can manage my system, I turn the irrigation off during a week when we get a decent amount of rain. My lawn is looking much healthier now.
Twice-per-week is allowed!
Old 12-07-2018, 08:52 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdarcy View Post
I agree with at least once a week this time of the year; we should get plenty of rain this coming Sunday.
For each of us, life is a journey. Where has your life taken you? Your entire life leads to the next step, the chance to define yourself by where you're headed, instead of where you stand. Today is the day you introduce yourself to your destiny.
Old 12-07-2018, 10:25 PM
Platinum member

It might vary but I think once a week in the winter and twice a week in the summer. Check your water district rules.
Due to the warmer days in the winter the grass is still growing. Not like further North. You need about 3/4 of an inch of water a week. I keep my system off until I need to water. Do the same in the summer. Cuts way down on the water and my grass is ok. I also fertilize, fungicides etc on a regular schedule. When the grass starts turning brown your roots should still be ok and the grass should come back. Try and avoid the grass going brown.

Tags
watering, zoysia, time, year, proper