Weed Prevention - I give up - HELP !

Closed Thread
Old 08-19-2020, 01:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,910 Times in 1,528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilmacowen View Post
Best to kill with roundup, it kills the root. If you pull there will be roots that remain to grow again. If you want to pull wait for a week after spraying.

I use extended preen twice a year, good for 6 mos. My big problem is crabgrass that grows in the bushes. HD suggested a spray to attach to hose, but directions say not to use in 90 heat so i 'll have to wait. Preen will not kill crabgrass, but HD gave me a granular crabgrass preventer to spread in the early spring. We'll see how that goes.
Weeds can be pulled up completely if the soil or mulch is very wet. Go out after a large rain or do a lot of watering and then pull s l o w l y .
Old 08-19-2020, 03:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,071 Times in 2,743 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrymini View Post
I resist using chemicals but they can work well. Lowes sells 30% vinegar. Mix half vinegar and half water with a tablespoon of liquid dish detergent. Spray on the weeds because, like round up, it kills everything. Do it in the morning on a hot day, with no rain, and you will see things die pretty quickly. Preen keeps seeds from emerging and is very effective. I never use salt. It remains in the soil and cannot be removed. The black weed barrier does not allow water to penetrate properly, that includes, fertilizer, which can run off in different directions and not go where you want it to. Yes vinegar is a chemical but not like round up which can be very nasty to you and the environment.
I use the 30% vinegar straight up with a little dish soap to make stick to the weed leaves. Works great, but the smell is nasty and lasts until a good soaking rain.
Old 08-19-2020, 07:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by N44125 View Post
Another vote for Roundup, works great.
Roundup has a version that lasts for three months, and also one called 365, which is supposed to last a year. It doesn't, of course, because of the amount of rain we get here, but it does work for a long time. I have used it on our CYV stones, including around trees and bushes, with great success. When we leave TV for six months, I cover the whole area. I don't have the back for hand-weeding and don't want weeds taking over while we're gone.

I don't understand why OP doesn't want to use a weed mat.
Old 08-19-2020, 07:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girlcopper View Post
Wear your mask and wash your hands when done.
The big problem with Roundup is for the farmers who spray it extensively over vast amounts of territory and are exposed to the fumes.

It has been banned in some countries, especially for farm use. But if you are careful and don't use it on a windy day, it won't cause a problem.
Old 08-19-2020, 08:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,071 Times in 2,743 Posts

A Covid silver lining. I never had a mask at the house to wear when spraying roundup. Now we always have plenty of masks available!
Old 08-20-2020, 07:06 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,506 Times in 3,104 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmd2 View Post
Round-up can kill plants and bushes even if you just spay near them. I know from sad experience.
You also can't spray it in any garden that grows vegetables or herbs if you intend to consume them.

You can spray it if you have potted plants raised above the ground, but if the roots of those plants are going through the hole of the pot into the soil of your garden, you would definitely not want to spray Roundup anywhere near those pots.

I just pull the weeds out every week. If I come home from work and see a few stragglers I grab them on my way into the house. So my "weekly" weeding session only takes around 40 minutes.
Old 08-20-2020, 08:21 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
...I just pull the weeds out every week. If I come home from work and see a few stragglers I grab them on my way into the house. So my "weekly" weeding session only takes around 40 minutes.
That’s pretty much what I do, except I add Preen to the system. My weekly session is about 5-10 minutes.
Old 08-20-2020, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
Roundup will kill this batch of weeds. But it won't prevent more from growing in the next few months. Why don't you want to use a weed barrier? It's inexpensive, only labor-intensive for a day (you have to pull back all the mulch, lay it down, then toss the mulch back over the barrier and add a fresh layer), and will prevent a good percentage (not all) of weed growth. After that, you just pull the individual weeds out as they show up.

You'll still have to kill off or physically remove the current batch of weeds before laying down the mat but you'd have to do that whether you have a mat or not anyway, so that part isn't any extra work.
Landscaping is outside my wheelhouse....for the most part. One of my kidneys contains bushes - a few of the bottom branches are growing down/into the mulch and dropping a root system. I don't want to choke that growth with a material barrier.

The other kidney is just trees and I'm thinking about doing it there. Thanks for your insights.
Old 08-20-2020, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb993 View Post
What we first thought were weeds in the shrubbery bed, and tried to pull them out, we found that they were long rhizomes from the St. Augustine grass that propagates that way. Found out the lawn guy was not edging around the planting beds to prevent their spread. Found another lawn service who did the proper job plus sprayed a Roundup like product (non cancerous) to kill the remaining little weed sprouts that pop up.
Point on. I have that going on too and have advised the lawn guy. Thanks...
Old 08-20-2020, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskean82 View Post
Preen every 3-4 months. Make sure you water in. Roundup to spot treat but you’ll have to pull the dead weeds. Chris, Kean Landscaping & Design. Or just hire me! Lol 727-593-0253
Heard that! I'm not there yet....but my wife is! If I toss in the towel she'll be callin....
Old 08-20-2020, 03:23 PM

Thanks everyone for taking the time to jot down your wisdoms - most helpful !!
Old 08-24-2020, 10:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,922 Times in 2,448 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graspher View Post
I have two large kidney shaped areas (containing trees/bushes) that are bordered and filled with medium size pine bark mulch. Anywhere from 1 to 4 inches deep.

I've been struggling with weeds for months. They won - I lost.

I don't want to use a weed barrier mat, newspaper or cardboard under the mulch.

Is there a chemical (been trying to avoid that but at this point I don't care anymore) that I can use that won't harm the tree/bushes but will kill weed growth?

Or do I just keep pulling hoping for the day when there will be no more weeds?

Any other suggestions?

Thank you.

Even if you put barrier down the weeds will eventually still pop up. Best to us weed killer when the weed first sprout before the Blum and are easier to kill when young.
Old 08-24-2020, 10:15 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
A Covid silver lining. I never had a mask at the house to wear when spraying roundup. Now we always have plenty of masks available!
You need respirator
Old 08-24-2020, 10:19 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpyo View Post
Excellent. I was going to say the same thing but I was afraid the anti-mask contingent would jump all over me.

Yes, I’ll jump in and say mask does nothing! Need respirator.
Old 08-25-2020, 09:18 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alana33 View Post
The Complete Guide to Roundup Exposure. Are you at Risk?

1 Gallon distilled white vinegar (5%)
1 cup Epsom salt
1/2 cup Dish soap
Simply mix all the ingredients together in a sprayer, and spray on the weeds. I have found this recipe to be effective on driveways and walkways. The soap works to spread the vinegar and salt across the entire surface of the plant. Once the plant is covered it becomes dehydrated and dies.
Works great on our paver driveway and pool area and it non carcinogen.

"I wish I didn't know now, what I didn't know then"
-Bob Seger-
Closed Thread

Tags
weed, weeds, mulch, point, avoid

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.