Weeding

Closed Thread
Old 09-17-2019, 09:34 AM
Veteran member
Default Weeding

Does anyone know of a service that will pull weeds by hand on a regular basis?

We are stopping a service that sprayed weeds but was killing plants so we do not want to do that again.

Thanks!
Old 09-17-2019, 10:15 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,687 Times in 3,600 Posts

Bummer, I thought this thread was about smoking.

Old 09-17-2019, 12:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,420 Times in 5,110 Posts

I hate doing yard work myself. But, I use a plastic jug of Roundup from Lowes that has a battery operated sprayer on a long wand. You just walk around and spray the weeds. Very easy and it doesn't kill plants as long as you aim properly. It costs about 25 dollars, and you can replace the batteries and refill it, or just throw it away. If you hire someone to pull weeds, you will spend a lot of money and always have weeds, because occasionally weeds will tend to sprout up overnight. The weed pullers will never show up at the proper time, when you really need them.
Old 09-17-2019, 12:44 PM
Sage

I used to use Roundup in planting areas. I was very careful with it, but it still impacted plants in the general vicinity.

Consider a weed preventative, like Preen. Works very well and allows planting area plants to thrive.
Old 09-18-2019, 08:13 AM
Sage

When you pull a weed in Florida (and most other warm states) if you don't get 100% of the roots, 2 or 3 plants will sprout in the same spot. Almost impossible to keep a yard weed free unless you pull weeds every day.
Old 09-18-2019, 01:41 PM

I used to love gardening until I busted a vein on my right hand picking weeds. It's a useless battle. Just get rid of all your plants, and have a grass lawn only or, if you must, plant a few trees.
Old 09-18-2019, 03:58 PM
TOTV SPONSOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmcdonald View Post
Does anyone know of a service that will pull weeds by hand on a regular basis?

We are stopping a service that sprayed weeds but was killing plants so we do not want to do that again.

Thanks!
Give us a call!! A Cutting Edge

General weeding and trimming
•$99 Villas/ $199 Houses
•Bonded/ fully Insured
•Villager owned (‘13)
•Veteran operated
Free estimates 7 days a week
Walker🇺🇸954🙏461😁1928
Old 09-20-2019, 09:08 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,874 Times in 948 Posts
Default Weeds

Truth I am writing this to procrastinate doing mine.
Endless debate. In the end no matter what you do you will have weeds.
Preen and the same chemical by other brandnames. It only kills seeds and is not 100% effective. Several weeds, including grass from your lawn spread by runners. That is true of both empire zoyzia and st augustine. Preen will not stop this. Roundup, glycophsate, also sold under different brands besides roundup-currently being sued by the way.

Easiest, quickest and you do not need to wait a week or two for the weeds to die and then you need to pick them out anyway is to simply pull them out. Far easier to do if you do not have gravel and or landscape fabric either of which prevents the use of traditional and effective tools. Aside-if you watch the pros, the people who do the Villages landscaping, you will see they do not use landscape fabric or gravel, they use pine straw..

Last edited by DAVES; 09-20-2019 at 09:10 AM. Reason: typo
Old 09-20-2019, 10:15 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVES View Post
...Several weeds, including grass from your lawn spread by runners...Preen will not stop this...
True. But imho a minor and easily dealt with issue compared to the benefits. I spread Preen once every six months, pull the occasional lawn runner, and I’m a happy camper.
Old 09-21-2019, 12:18 PM
Gold member
Location: Pittsburgh, Cincinnati,Chicago ,buffalo, Asheville ,Pittsburgh
Default Weeding

Choice mantenance pulls my weeds and are reasonable
Old 09-25-2019, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredman View Post
Choice mantenance pulls my weeds and are reasonable
Wow, I guess I wasn't so lucky! I was told it would be done by hand also and since I wasn't here I'd give it a shot.
On arrival I was surprised by the amount of grass still in the beds and they used grass killer instead of pulling. And to top things off they used a weed whacker to cut the grass and weeds....and to compound things they destroyed several sections of vinyl siding in the process!!! And of course the crew never reported it....currently working on a resolution. Certainly not what I bargained for and turning into a hassle!
Old 09-25-2019, 09:55 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVES View Post
Truth I am writing this to procrastinate doing mine.
Endless debate. In the end no matter what you do you will have weeds.
Preen and the same chemical by other brandnames. It only kills seeds and is not 100% effective. Several weeds, including grass from your lawn spread by runners. That is true of both empire zoyzia and st augustine. Preen will not stop this. Roundup, glycophsate, also sold under different brands besides roundup-currently being sued by the way.

Easiest, quickest and you do not need to wait a week or two for the weeds to die and then you need to pick them out anyway is to simply pull them out. Far easier to do if you do not have gravel and or landscape fabric either of which prevents the use of traditional and effective tools. Aside-if you watch the pros, the people who do the Villages landscaping, you will see they do not use landscape fabric or gravel, they use pine straw..
Preen is a selective, pre-emergent weed killer. It kills the germinated seedling but not all of them. I would rather have some killed than none. It works when the soil is about 70 degrees.
Closed Thread

Tags
weeds, service, killing, sprayed, plants

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.