Weeding

Closed Thread
Old 03-26-2020, 10:51 AM
Default Weeding

Looking for recommendations for weeders. Do you have a reliable, person or company that you use?
Old 03-26-2020, 11:01 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,599 Times in 5,194 Posts

There are other threads on this topic if you do a search. I think the best way to control weeds is to spray them yourself with a weed killer. Hiring someone is tricky because you really never know when you will need the job done. It seems like weeds can pop up almost overnight.
Old 03-26-2020, 12:16 PM

Thank you. I will look further. I do my own but need someone when not home.
Old 03-26-2020, 12:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,463 Times in 3,089 Posts

We bought our house in March 2019. Didn't move in to it til November. Visited a few times between the two dates. Previous homeowner had a service, we continued it while we weren't actually living there. They did their weedkilling thing, and I am sure they were sincere in their claim that they did it.

But it didn't mean a thing. When I brought some furniture down in mid-April, the weeds had overgrown the garden and the front area by the house and around the side of it. It took me three days - in late May - to get them all out.

Came back in late June/early July with another load of furniture and it was just as bad. When we finally moved in, in November, I told the service to continue with the pesticide and weed treatment on the lawn only, and don't waste the chemicals on our garden. I pull them myself now. It's a never-ending battle but I'm not going to pay for chemicals that pollute the ground if they're not even going to do what they're supposed to do.
Old 03-26-2020, 06:45 PM
Gold member
Location: Pittsburgh, Cincinnati,Chicago ,buffalo, Asheville ,Pittsburgh

Try choice maintenance. 352-502-2880
Old 03-26-2020, 07:48 PM

Preen, preen and more preen, after using roundup. Works great for me.
Old 03-27-2020, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caroll View Post
Looking for recommendations for weeders. Do you have a reliable, person or company that you use?
I use ground clear and a garden sprayer, surprisingly it’s only 90% effective
Old 03-27-2020, 07:40 AM

I agree with some of the replies. Whatever you do, the weeds come back almost overnight. Sometimes, having the black membrane on the ground, makes it harder to get the roots out. BUT if you use Roundup, you should take precautions. I heard from a friend in the dep of agriculture, that farmers who use Roundup are advised to wear PPE.
Old 03-27-2020, 07:41 AM

GOOD luck I have had several different co while away for summers, came back to weeds higher than dead plants , said they would pull by hand , ha ha they used weed killer and killed my roses, perennials, but weeds took over as they never came back again, and I paid them in advance, thinking they would do a better job. Well that didn’t work either
Let me know IF you find someone GOOD. please
They also don’t like to do it for a short time. When you are here you can watch them , but they still don’t kill all of the weeds ,and it takes several days for them to die

Last edited by deegerst; 03-27-2020 at 07:47 AM.
Old 03-27-2020, 07:44 AM

I also do my own since I prefer not to use chemicals.
We’ve lived in The Villages for just over a year, and have found most of the big companies spray weeds, and they still come back. 😩
Old 03-27-2020, 08:06 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,199 Times in 461 Posts

Good luck finding someone. I do a great deal of gardening because it is my hobby and I like it. Mostly pull and cannot find people who will take the time to do it correctly. I use 20 percent vinegar in a sprayer for weeds but weeding down here is a career because of the water and warm weather. Preen may help as it is a chemical but prevents seeds from germinating and when desperate, I use it. It will remain effective for about 3 months. It is granular and can be sprinkled about the area where needed. It helps a great deal.
Old 03-27-2020, 08:46 AM

I have heard of people that have Willie Nelson do it! :-)
Old 03-27-2020, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caroll View Post
Thank you. I will look further. I do my own but need someone when not home.
Please, please...do not use Roundup!! It's a known carcinogen. You can simply make your own...1 gal. vinegar, 1 cup table salt, 1 teaspoon (blue) Dawn dish soap. The Dawn will make the concoction stick to the leaves. Thanks for being gentle to our planet while killing weeds!
Old 03-27-2020, 12:26 PM
Veteran member
Default Lawn Service to NOT use

Quote:
Originally Posted by deegerst View Post
GOOD luck I have had several different co while away for summers, came back to weeds higher than dead plants , said they would pull by hand , ha ha they used weed killer and killed my roses, perennials, but weeds took over as they never came back again, and I paid them in advance, thinking they would do a better job. Well that didn’t work either
Let me know IF you find someone GOOD. please
They also don’t like to do it for a short time. When you are here you can watch them , but they still don’t kill all of the weeds ,and it takes several days for them to die
One company to NOT use in The Villages is TruGreen. I used them for less than a year, but during that time they TWICE came to my house, filled out a bill and stuck it in my door without performing ANY service. I let them send a different person out the first time, but when it happened again, I fired them.
Old 03-27-2020, 02:04 PM

Remember when you had real grass and cut your own lawn, pulled a few dandelions' and you were done. To keep a lawn looking good here in Florida is a full time job, fertilizer, weed killer, and insect killer and thousands of galleons of water.
Closed Thread

Tags
weeding, recommendations, weeders, reliable, person

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.