weeds in flowerbeds

Closed Thread
Old 06-23-2008, 05:25 PM
Default weeds in flowerbeds

Does anyone have any suggestions for getting rid of weeds. I have tried several products with minimal results. Has anyone tried Image weed killer? Thanks.
Old 06-23-2008, 05:33 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch
Default Re: weeds in flowerbeds

Sadly, hand pulling seems to be the best answer when it is around plants.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 06-23-2008, 05:52 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Send a message via Yahoo to renielarson

We had horrible weeds...actually there weren't many weeds but the Zoysia grass invading the landscaping. I spend hours upon hours pulling it out and finally got frustrated because no matter how much time I spent, the next morning there were lots more weeds/grass to pull.

We solved the problem by having a mesh covering laid down and rock put on top. It was worth every penny and although some grass/weeds still creep up where the landscaping meets the concrete or where the edging meets the grass, it's minimal.
Old 06-23-2008, 06:11 PM
Gold member
Send a message via AIM to Shirleevee

Friends of ours sent me a requested picture of the front of our home in TV........the weeds are huge. When we are there, weeding is not a problem, I will do it. Sailor just called someone to do some curbing to separate the grass from the flower beds and she will take care of the weeds too. We tried Weed Begone to no avail.

Shirleevee

Staten Island, N.Y./The Villages
Old 06-23-2008, 08:19 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

When Weeds Met Boomer

I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for. And I don't even know if it works in Florida anyway. I assume so, but I know nothing about gardening in Florida's climate.

But just in case it helps, here goes:

If you are looking for something to just flat-out kill the weeds themselves, like Roundup, I am not sure what to recommend. Sometimes with a spray, you hit other things in the target's area. Holding up a piece of cardboard as a shield sometimes works. And make sure there is no breeze before you spray.

What I have always done is just to get the :edit: weeds pulled out in the first place. Be sure to get those roots. And then I play defense - or is it offense? :dontknow: Oh, I really don't know. I should not try to use sports language because I know pretty much nothing about sports. Sorry. I digress.

Back to my plan.

After the weeds are gone, I hit the ground with Treflan, a pre-emergent. That kills the weed seeds so they don't have a chance to even get started. Treflan is the main ingredient in Preen. I just buy generic Treflan and save a little money that way. Treflan is supposed to last about 90 days. There is a new one called Dimension that claims to last 120 days. But I just bought my good old generic Treflan again.

I sprinkle the Treflan on the bare ground in the beds. I always overdo it, but you know how I exaggerate everything. I water this stuff in and then put down mulch. And water that down, too.

I use all-bark mulch. Usually cypress because it is light and has a longer lifespan than most mulches. And it does not get that dog mold on it. (Yes, that's what I said. And that's what it looks like. If you have seen it, you know what I mean.) All-bark mulch is more expensive than most, but it lasts so much better from year to year that it actually saves money. I add less each year.

So. . .generic Trefaln because it's cheaper and works fine. Cover it with the hoity-toity mulch that costs more but lasts longer, and therefore is cheaper. I like return on my investments.

I have the most wicked gardening tool for weeds. It's pretty much all I use. But I just checked the Smith & Hawken website and it looks like they don't have it anymore. Anyway, this thing has about a 6-inch long blade, slightly saw-toothed, on a 4-inch long handle. The blade is a little more than 2 inches wide.

The glory of this thing is that it is the sturdiest little gardening tool I have ever seen. I think it may have been called a Farmer's Weeder. I dig with it and I gouge weeds out with it and I hack things with it. And if anybody messes with me, I chase them around with it.

It used to be my standard gift to gardening friends. I did not wrap it. I just tied a big beautiful bow around the handle. This thing looks just like an incredibly sturdy dagger that is not very sharp. I even have a backup because I fear I will lose it. If you come across something that fits this description, consider getting one if you are waging war on weeds.

Well, I just wrote something here that only the gardeners among you managed to get through. And it probably was not the answer that dd46 was looking for. But this is what works around here. It just takes upfront prep by getting the weeds out. And then make sure they never get ahold of the flowerbeds again.

Oh, and even if they say that you have to reapply the pre-emergent after the 90 days, I never do. You may have to pluck a few weeds here and there but it is nothing too serious. I put Treflan down every spring and I think there may even be a residual effect from year to year, although according to instructions, it's worth 90 days. I get pretty lazy by the end of the summer so the beds never get a second hit. They really don't need it. But that's in Ohio.

Oh, and something else. Start buying groundcover or getting it from your friends. (We share our plants.) After a few years, the groundcover will fill in and prevent most of the weeds and you won't have to buy mulch anymore. I call it planning for my old age.

About that groundcover. . .Remember, the first year it sleeps. The second year it creeps. The third year it leaps. You'll get there.

My goodness, writing all this has made me pretty excited. I think I am going back outside to plant a few things. Maybe this is some parallel version of what those women who sit around writing those romance novels go through.

Boomer
Old 06-23-2008, 08:28 PM
Eternal Member
Send a message via AIM to barb1191

I am not a gardener and am scared stiff of bugs! I've read that using wet newspapers covered by mulch in flowerbeds guarantees no more weeds. Just wet newspapers and mulch, nothing else.

Dunno; just offer FYI

barb

Most people walk in and out of your life, but FRIENDS leave footprints in your heart.

"Being kind is more important than being right." By Andy Rooney
Old 06-23-2008, 09:15 PM

a landscaper told me a few months ago straight liquid clorine yes pool clorine kills the weeds its does work. just try not to get it on you or your clothes. Also i heard white vineger works too.
Old 06-23-2008, 09:57 PM
BOMBERO

designdiva46- Try selling them. You did post in the " Items For Sale " Forum.
Old 06-23-2008, 10:07 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Betty, the problem with things like bleach and vinegar is that they also kill the flowers and plants you don't want killed if they get in contact with them. There are a few negatives to Florida -- the fast-growing weeds is definitely one of them. What I love is waiting for a plant to grow because I'm not sure if it is a weed or a something that will turn into a pretty flower. So far, it is weeds 10-flowers 1.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 06-23-2008, 10:15 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Bombero

How funny...I didn't notice that! 1rnfl
Old 06-24-2008, 12:06 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOMBERO
designdiva46- Try selling them. You did post in the " Items For Sale " Forum.
Bomb,

You sure are observant. I did not notice that either.

And to think, here I was, just givin' away all that, all that, all that, all that, all that advice when I shoulda been sellin' it. Huh. Story of my life.

Oh well, at least I inspired myself to go outside and work in my own flowerbeds for a couple of hours.

Boomer
Old 06-24-2008, 01:40 AM

I spray gasoline on the mulch beds and then drop a match. Takes care of the weeds fairly quickly, but can be expensive if not applied correctly. Also, best to siphon the gas from the neighbor that continues to park on the street.
Old 06-24-2008, 02:21 AM
Platinum member

Heck if you get a sale, I have more weeds than I need and I could use a little extra cash!!
Old 06-24-2008, 02:34 AM
Sage

Like Bright, I replaced all the mulch and a lot of grass with mesh and river rock. Weeds still sprout at the edges. My home care company has been following my instructions and drenching the weeds with vinegar. This does kill existing weeds. They hand pull the ones near the rose and hibiscus bushes.

However I just received a picture from them and the weeds are growing back incredibly quickly. They've asked if they can use Roundup and I've reluctantly agreed. I like to try to be environmentally friendly, but sometimes the big guns are required.
Old 06-24-2008, 04:44 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Sigh Bare

We used Roundup this past weekend...just too lazy to get down on my knees to pull the weeds/grass out.

Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.