Closed Thread
Old 08-19-2019, 10:24 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Formula for vinegar solution:

1 gallon vinegar
1 cup salt
1 tablespoon dish detergent

Do NOT spray near plants you want to keep. Ultimately, the runoff will kill them. This is a not a contact kill, it is get to roots and kill (and even then the weeds will come back).

FYI, almost every time you step on to your rock landscaping, you poke a hole into the weed mat. Add the holes to the dirt that accumulates between the rocks and the mat and you have very happy, very healthy weeds. Rock landscaping needs to be removed about every five years and the mat replaced. The rocks should get a good hosing before putting back down, with additional rocks added as needed.

If you ask me, the weeds are a bigger issue than snakes, bugs, snowbirds and roundabouts. I can at least tolerate the others. I loathe the weeds!

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 08-19-2019, 10:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,049 Times in 2,739 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzello View Post
Here we go....

NO WEED KILLER EXISTS that will work better than PULLING weeds on a REGULAR BASIS. Dead weeds are dropping seeds, and are just as ugly as live weeds.
You can get bad infestations under control in about a month pulling once a week and applying preen after each removal session. Then good luck finding a maintenance company that will actually pull weeds, seems they are just as lazy as we are, and prefer to believe there is a magic spray somewhere that will work

MOST IMPORTANT... anyone pulling weeds without a 'dibbler' or some tool to work the roots out...are wasting their time.

Good luck !
Ozz
Agree with the above post, but for part time residents keeping on top of weeds is impossible. Every time we come to our Villages home we seem to spend have of our precious Villages time on our hands and knees pulling weeds. Not any more, we pay to have them sprayed on a regular basis and when we show up at our house there are almost no weeds and we spend our time doing much more enjoyable things : )
Old 08-19-2019, 12:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts
Default Hint

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrufrano View Post
I know, I know, all Villagers complain about weeds, just as we complain about having to drive 15 minutes to get somewhere.
This is different. Something is radically wrong here. I have the conventional rock landscape around the house with weed mat and flowers. IF I DONT WEED DAILY...the weeds begin to take over. God forbid, if I miss a day or two, you can't see the rocks for the weeds. Recently I dumped...not sprayed...half a huge container of Round Up on a particularly difficult area. And yes the weeds are back.
I beginning to wonder if my landscaping is too wet underneath.
Thanking you in advance, I appreciate any and all advice you can offer from your vast bank of wisdom, expertise, and experience, including names of reliable contractors or any other success your had in this weedy battle.

Ron Rufrano
As you read all of these suggestions, realize everyone has weeds.
The best you can do is control them-perfect is simply not possible.

You mention that you've used preen. First of all preen only prevents weed seeds from sprouting and it is not 100% effective.
Weeds, some spread by runners such as grass. Preen will have no effect.

You mention you have landscape fabric. Again it is only partially effective and it prevents you from using traditional tools such as a hoe, a dutch hoe, or a hand cultivator.

Opinion-others have mentioned using vinegar, salt etc. They are very old methods and they do work but they can and do damage your other plants and now that you've killed the weed you still need to pick it up-you might just as well simply pull it out by hand. Again, the rocks and landscape fabric will prevent some weeds but the ones you will get, and you will get some are harder to pull.
Old 08-20-2019, 06:47 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seoulbrooks View Post
Are you using Round Up with preventive? Get the Round up that prevents weeds from returning, not the regular just kill stuff......Sounds like the weed mat used was not very effective. Might want to give the landscaper a call to come check their work.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Roundup-...0605/302681458
The weeds sprout above the weed mat in dirt that has collected in the rocks. The roots are thus very shallow and the weeds are easily pulled up. Or use a hula hoe to easily take care of larger areas.

More aggressive plants like Mexican Petunia's seek out seams in the mat and come up there with deep roots that are more difficult to pull.
Old 08-25-2019, 09:27 PM

Anyone tried Groundclear? Supposed to kill everything, but I have read conflicting instructions about if you can spray it under existing trees or not.
Old 08-25-2019, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seoulbrooks View Post
Are you using Round Up with preventive? Get the Round up that prevents weeds from returning, not the regular just kill stuff......Sounds like the weed mat used was not very effective. Might want to give the landscaper a call to come check their work.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Roundup-...0605/302681458
Scotts says this will stain your decorative stone and they do not recommend sprinkling over rock beds.
Old 08-26-2019, 06:04 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Rocks do nothing to build up your soil and once the weeds start growing in the rocks it is a major problem to get rid of them. You will not see any beds in TV with rocks, they use mulch.

We started with rocks and then gave up, removed them and now have used mulch for years. The weeds are so much easier to get rid of with mulch.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 08-26-2019, 08:27 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,921 Times in 2,447 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy327 View Post
It works for me. I buy the Epson salt and vinegar from Sam’s.
Good thing with vinegar it will lower the ph in the soil which is 8 or higher in my area. I use it in my pots to get the ph level down to 6 or 6.5 . Which is pretty hard even with store brought compost which is neutral out of the bag.
Old 08-26-2019, 08:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,921 Times in 2,447 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post
Rocks do nothing to build up your soil and once the weeds start growing in the rocks it is a major problem to get rid of them. You will not see any beds in TV with rocks, they use mulch.

We started with rocks and then gave up, removed them and now have used mulch for years. The weeds are so much easier to get rid of with mulch.
IMO mulch draws termite’s especially against house.
Old 08-26-2019, 09:25 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts
Default Weed chemicals

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAAndre View Post
Anyone tried Groundclear? Supposed to kill everything, but I have read conflicting instructions about if you can spray it under existing trees or not.
Realize that you can buy almost all of the advertised products under their chemical names for lower cost. Roundup a highly advertised product is Glyphosate. Broad leaf weed killer is 24D often mixed with other listed weedkillers.

As to using a named product under trees. I would read the label to find out what chemical or chemicals are in it and research on the internet. People, including me, often do not read ir follow instructions. The 24D for example says don't use at temperatures higher than 80 degrees. Both Glyphosate and 24D are absorbed through the leaves not the roots but your tree could well be more sensitive to the chemicals or could have suckers coming up from the roots.

No matter what you do, you will have weeds. Nature hates empty spaces. When, you properly pull them, it is quick and it is done. Many weeds will grow from the piece of root you leave behind. You need to use a tool and remove as much of the root as possible. Landscape fabric prevents the use of tools.

Used your head. It is HOT. Weed in the morning or my opinion around 3:00. In the morning we have dew so you will get wet and muddy. Armed with the right tools and a small bucket to throw the puled weeds into I do my entire place in an hour filling the bucket two or three times. Yes, if you look hard you will find a few weeds after I am done-I will get them next week-maybe.
Old 08-27-2019, 07:26 AM
Veteran member

1 gallon of vinegar, 1 lb of Epsom salts, 1/4 cup of blue Dawn. Mix well, buy a spray bottle from Home Depot and fill up as needed. Works fantastic. Spray in the AM, and by PM weeds are gone, dead. I keep a spray bottle filled and handy and take a walk through the beds. Weeds will always come back. No such thing as bad weather for weeds to grow.
Old 08-27-2019, 10:08 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,015 Times in 273 Posts

Round up
Old 09-02-2019, 12:25 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrufrano View Post
I know, I know, all Villagers complain about weeds, just as we complain about having to drive 15 minutes to get somewhere.
This is different. Something is radically wrong here. I have the conventional rock landscape around the house with weed mat and flowers. IF I DONT WEED DAILY...the weeds begin to take over. God forbid, if I miss a day or two, you can't see the rocks for the weeds. Recently I dumped...not sprayed...half a huge container of Round Up on a particularly difficult area. And yes the weeds are back.
I beginning to wonder if my landscaping is too wet underneath.
Thanking you in advance, I appreciate any and all advice you can offer from your vast bank of wisdom, expertise, and experience, including names of reliable contractors or any other success your had in this weedy battle.

Ron Rufrano
People assume that the rock and landscape mat will create a weed free environment. Quite the contrary, it creates the opposite, a perfect environment for weeds to germinate and grow. Especially the spurges. Dust and organic matter get between the warm rocks
and the weeds take off growing with out any problem. Try using Preen for southern lawns. It is a granular product that been formulated for our weeds. They will prevent the weeds from germinating. Buy a big bag or box and read the directions.
Old 09-02-2019, 08:35 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

At Lowes this gallon of weed killer is $7.98 and a gallon of Roundup was $11.98. I used Spectracide last week and everything I sprayed was dead in 3 hours. Their webside said they have 190 in stock, but you cannot buy it right now due to the weather conditions.

The Villages Florida

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Spectracide...ler/1000373169

If you want to make your own mixture, this one gallon sprayer at Lowes is $9.97 and they have 56 in stock at 466A store. Two gallon sprayer is $16.97.

The Villages Florida

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Chapin-1-Ga...yer/1000176199
Old 09-16-2019, 09:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,049 Times in 2,739 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fernviewnursery@aol.com View Post
In Florida the rule is DO NOT PULL WEEDS - when you pull weeds you generate more weeds - 1st you break off roots that return, 2nd you throw seeds about from the weed and 3rd you disrupt the soil, oxygenate it and in the process germinate seeds that were dormant. Do yourself a favor and go get PREEN - you must apply it Feb, May, Aug and Nov (yes I know this is September do it NOW0, be generous - the bottle covers 900 sq ft - do not try to stretch it. put the preen down, spray existing weeds and wait a week - then go spray weeds that are up do this consecutively for 4 weeks, - if you have a lot of little weeds pop up in an area after 4 weeks, put down more preen just in that location as it may not have distributed evenly. Now you should be able to go about your day and treat weeds monthly.
I hope this helps
interesting and good advise, thanks.
Closed Thread

Tags
weeds, rock, complain, weed, wet

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.