Well RATS!

Closed Thread
Old 07-22-2019, 06:39 AM
Default Well RATS!

Palm rats? Not a species. Like 'Pineapple Palm', this is a descriptive term based on a perception.

Restaurant rats? No again, but you can sure find plenty in the dumpsters behind almost every place serving food.

You would be hard put to find any place in Florida (Or any other state) where there is water and a place to hide a nest that there isn't some sort of population of rats. If you shave a squirrels tail, not much separating the 2 species in my opinion.

I have posted here before on the subject, but in my travels around TV, I have noticed a recent resurgence in palm misinformation.
I know we have a small population here in TV that are adverse to palm trees, we all have opinions and we are all entitled to have them. But the simple fact is: you could completely remove every single palm tree in TV (you know, like how things are further north) and you would make no change in the rat population.
If you wanted to make a real dent in rat populations, I would target their more natural habitat, and remove the dense plantings of pampas and muhley grass. Take it from someone who has trimmed LOTS of palms and these ornamental grasses in this area,WAY more rats to be found in the grasses.
Old 07-22-2019, 07:05 AM

Finally someone with some sense. We were out at golf course putting and pitching in the evening while the sun was going down. Large beds of grasses all around with a few palms interspersed. Look back at the better half standing in front of grasses and there were 5-8 rats coming out of the grass beds. They were not streaming down the palm trees. It is always interesting how stories and urban myths get passed on as facts.

Love the post. Get ready for the attacks from the citizenship.
Old 07-22-2019, 07:22 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyc234 View Post
Finally someone with some sense. We were out at golf course putting and pitching in the evening while the sun was going down. Large beds of grasses all around with a few palms interspersed. Look back at the better half standing in front of grasses and there were 5-8 rats coming out of the grass beds. They were not streaming down the palm trees. It is always interesting how stories and urban myths get passed on as facts.

Confused one more time(what's new)
Are you telling us that you use the golf courses as "practice facilities" in the evening? Sorry for being off subject but I don't really understand.... could you explain? Thank you.
Old 07-22-2019, 07:24 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,668 Times in 529 Posts

Quote:
We were out at golf course putting and pitching in the evening while the sun was going down.

Sorry to turn this around but I have a question.
Were you playing on the course with a documented tee time?
Steve
Old 07-22-2019, 07:35 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,345 Times in 733 Posts

You sound like you have not had roof rats, palm rats in your attic. I have.

The species is Rattus rattus rattus or simply Rattus rattus it is technically a black rat. It eats fruits and seeds. Yes, they can live in trees. No those Latin names are not a joke, that is the species. No, I not making some blanket statement about where they can live or what they eat. See the link that is on the bottom of this post

I did not have them in FL but a neighboring state. They climbed a two story home to nest in the attic. I trapped them and poisoned them. The food source was bird feed. I removed the traps, I can give you 100% confirmation that these were rats and the only way they could access my home was via the roof.

No more bird feed and no more rats.

If you have any questions for someone that has actual experience and not just an opinion ask away.
Black rat - Wikipedia

Last edited by Toymeister; 07-22-2019 at 03:00 PM. Reason: Added sub species detail
Old 07-22-2019, 07:40 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

If you question a native Floridian or a long time habitat of Florida about palm trees and whether they have had them placed in their landscape or not you may be surprised.

Also, talk to a resident who has bought new landscaping from a landscaper.

You will find that soon many people are having to pay to dig out bushes and trees and plants because they over grow.

The landscaping that comes with our homes will live with moderate watering though the heat and the cold spells. If it gets disease, than you are not feeding it right. It becomes quite lovely in about eighteen months. Beware of landscapers trying to sell you stuff. Many of us have seen them come and go.

Also. There is enough water. We are doing fine with water. The developer and his ponds is a huge plus.

Oh. Y'all were talking about rats. Rats like palm fruit. Hide in bearded palms. Keep them away from your roof.
Old 07-22-2019, 12:29 PM
Platinum member

Ho hum...yawn...this topic was beat to death last week.
Old 07-22-2019, 12:50 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWGUY View Post
Confused one more time(what's new)
Are you telling us that you use the golf courses as "practice facilities" in the evening? Sorry for being off subject but I don't really understand.... could you explain? Thank you.
oops! Beat me by two minutes. How'd I miss that?
Steve
Old 07-22-2019, 12:56 PM
Exclamation

Quote:

No attack here, however, it is a FACT -- not a story or myth -- that certain species of rats love and/or live in various palm trees.
Old 07-22-2019, 01:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,359 Times in 2,393 Posts

Old 07-22-2019, 01:15 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toymeister View Post
No more bird feed and no more rats.
We had more rats, mice and raccoons than normal last year, because a neighbor was "feeding the birds".

We all asked her to stop, which she did, and the critters went back to the occasional sighting.

I'm all for keeping as much native vegetation and wildlife as possible - it's when we change the environment too much that problems arise.
Old 07-22-2019, 01:21 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Fox View Post

I'm all for keeping as much native vegetation and wildlife as possible - it's when we change the environment too much that problems arise.
You mean like building too many houses?
Steve
Old 07-22-2019, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzello View Post
Palm rats? Not a species. Like 'Pineapple Palm', this is a descriptive term based on a perception.

Restaurant rats? No again, but you can sure find plenty in the dumpsters behind almost every place serving food.

You would be hard put to find any place in Florida (Or any other state) where there is water and a place to hide a nest that there isn't some sort of population of rats. If you shave a squirrels tail, not much separating the 2 species in my opinion.

I have posted here before on the subject, but in my travels around TV, I have noticed a recent resurgence in palm misinformation.
I know we have a small population here in TV that are adverse to palm trees, we all have opinions and we are all entitled to have them. But the simple fact is: you could completely remove every single palm tree in TV (you know, like how things are further north) and you would make no change in the rat population.
If you wanted to make a real dent in rat populations, I would target their more natural habitat, and remove the dense plantings of pampas and muhley grass. Take it from someone who has trimmed LOTS of palms and these ornamental grasses in this area,WAY more rats to be found in the grasses.

Excellent post.

I don't think common names are based so much on perception. It's much easier to remember the common name than the botanical name.

And just as a point of information, I think snakes like the grasses even more so than the rats!
Old 07-22-2019, 02:54 PM

sigh
Old 07-22-2019, 04:11 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,254 Times in 425 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Cowgirl View Post
No attack here, however, it is a FACT -- not a story or myth -- that certain species of rats love and/or live in various palm trees.
About a year and a half ago I was driving down a side street in the Lake Sumter area and a big rat with a long tail run right across the street and run right up a palm tree and disappear. This tree was right next to someones house.
Closed Thread

Tags
palm, rats, population, place, species

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.