Well RATS!

Closed Thread
Old 07-22-2019, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toymeister View Post
You sound like you have not had roof rats, palm rats in your attic. I have.

The species is Rattus rattus rattus or simply Rattus rattus it is technically a black rat. It eats fruits and seeds. Yes, they can live in trees. No those Latin names are not a joke, that is the species. No, I not making some blanket statement about where they can live or what they eat. See the link that is on the bottom of this post

I did not have them in FL but a neighboring state. They climbed a two story home to nest in the attic. I trapped them and poisoned them. The food source was bird feed. I removed the traps, I can give you 100% confirmation that these were rats and the only way they could access my home was via the roof.

No more bird feed and no more rats.

If you have any questions for someone that has actual experience and not just an opinion ask away.
Black rat - Wikipedia
Black rats should not be confused an Brown rats, i.e. Common rat. Brown rats (Norway rats) do not like living in trees, Brown rats prefer to live by humans. So yes you can easily have palm rats (black rats) and restaurant rats (Brown rats) in the same area.

You can Google the Latin name for Brown rats. There is such a species and no color of the rate is not the main source of identification, where they live is.

Black rats, the climbers, can live in the same location as Brown rats
Old 07-22-2019, 08:18 PM
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
If you question a native Floridian or a long time habitat of Florida about palm trees and whether they have had them placed in their landscape or not you may be surprised.

Also, talk to a resident who has bought new landscaping from a landscaper.

You will find that soon many people are having to pay to dig out bushes and trees and plants because they over grow.

The landscaping that comes with our homes will live with moderate watering though the heat and the cold spells. If it gets disease, than you are not feeding it right. It becomes quite lovely in about eighteen months. Beware of landscapers trying to sell you stuff. Many of us have seen them come and go.

Also. There is enough water. We are doing fine with water. The developer and his ponds is a huge plus.

Oh. Y'all were talking about rats. Rats like palm fruit. Hide in bearded palms. Keep them away from your roof.

How do you question a "long time habitat about palm trees" and what is the surprise?

What would a resident say if they bought new landscaping from a landscaper?

Very few people have to dig out trees, etc., because they "over grow."

Plants get diseases because of many different reasons but not "feeding them right" is not one of the causes.

"Beware of landscapers trying to sell you stuff?" That's their profession and that's how they earn a living.

Not all rats like or eat "palm fruit."
Old 07-22-2019, 10:28 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,687 Times in 3,600 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Cowgirl View Post
How do you question a "long time habitat about palm trees" and what is the surprise?

Plants get diseases because of many different reasons but not "feeding them right" is not one of the causes.

"Beware of landscapers trying to sell you stuff?" That's their profession and that's how they earn a living.

Oh Boy, on another thread.

Not questioning a LTH. The statement was "IF".

What would a resident say, I would say, "Cool".

Very few is relative. Not a relative of mine. Not even a second cousin.

Ohhhhhhhhhhh, don't feed, nasties will happen.

Selling stuff????........98.3% understand the statement. Will PM you and explain.

Palm Fruit: Not sure mom put that on my plate. Not sure I can speak for a ran.

Old 07-22-2019, 11:32 PM

Once again, I ask... how do these crazy rats get in your attic? Are they eating through the soffit material?
Old 07-23-2019, 06:33 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Cowgirl View Post

Many long term residents have told me they don't like palms in their landscaping because they attract rats.

Many people have had to have plants and bushes removed because they become too big and too dense. We removed a few this year, after eight years. It is amazing how big they get with lots of rain and sunshine.

Small plants and bushes quickly become way too big plants and bushes here in Florida. That is a fact anyone can see by watching their new foundation plantings grow for about two years.

Plants not well fertilized are indeed more vulnerable to disease.

Many opportunistic Landscapers can, will and do take advantage of the newbies and do charge them far more than they should. My advice is to wait and see for a year and talk to neighbors and friends before you change your landscaping.

Last edited by graciegirl; 07-23-2019 at 06:39 AM.
Old 07-23-2019, 10:12 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

There is a book you can get for free about native Florida plants. With photos. It was suggested probably 7 years ago by the guy who installs the Nova systems. I'm having a brain spasm and cannot remember his screen name. Anybody? I think the book was free. He had a link. I would search it if I could remember his screen name.
Old 07-23-2019, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
There is a book you can get for free about native Florida plants. With photos. It was suggested probably 7 years ago by the guy who installs the Nova systems. I'm having a brain spasm and cannot remember his screen name. Anybody? I think the book was free. He had a link. I would search it if I could remember his screen name.
Just happened to see a post elsewhere which suggests the Nova guy is “jimbo2012”:

https://www.talkofthevillages.com/fo...mbo2012-30431/

Last edited by pacjag; 07-23-2019 at 02:24 PM. Reason: More info added.
Old 07-23-2019, 02:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacjag View Post
Just happened to see a post elsewhere which suggests the Nova guy is “jimbo2012”:

https://www.talkofthevillages.com/fo...mbo2012-30431/
Thanks. I contacted him, and he said it's the Native Florida Plants book, available at the UF extension on 466 behind the sheriff's office.

There are quite a few books with Native Florida in the title. This one was free.

Tags
palm, rats, population, place, species

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.