What do you do with grass clippings?

Closed Thread
Old 07-23-2016, 07:33 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,674 Times in 628 Posts
Default What do you do with grass clippings?

We just moved down from Virginia. We would put our grass and shrubbery clippings in green bags and put them out on the curb once a week, and the garbage people would pick them up. Is that how it works here? Thanks in advance for responding.
Old 07-23-2016, 07:35 AM
Gold member

I would suggest a mulching blade for your grass. Then bagging grass becomes unnecessary.
Old 07-23-2016, 07:46 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,359 Times in 2,393 Posts

Village Community Development Districts

How do I dispose of household waste, recyclables and yard waste?
Household waste should be placed in standard dark, sealed 20-30 gallon trash bags. Each bag should weigh no more than forty (40) pounds.
Recyclables should be placed in clear plastic bags.
Yard waste should be bundled, tied and placed at the end of your driveway. Tree limbs and branches may not exceed four (4) feet in length. Lawn clippings and similar yard waste should be placed in biodegradable bags

http://www.districtgov.org/community...n-schedule.pdf
Old 07-23-2016, 08:47 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,674 Times in 628 Posts

Thank you, Bogie Shooter. If we decide to mow our own grass, I guess we will buy some biodegradable bags and use them for our grass and shrub clippings.
Old 07-23-2016, 04:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Most Florida lawns are better off if the clippings are left on the lawn. The soil has so much sand in it that more organic material is needed. The clippings act like fertilizer.

Look at the golf courses. The only place they collect the clippings is on the greens and that is only because they would interfere with putting. On the fairways, rough and tees, the clippings are left to decompose.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 07-24-2016, 07:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,884 Times in 2,430 Posts

Mulching works best, if you don't let the grass get to tall, go slower, and try not mow when the grass is wet. Shouldn't be problem on most postage stamp lawns?
Old 07-26-2016, 09:52 AM
Gold member

You may want to call the waste removal office. When, we moved in, I was surprised that they would take as many packing boxes as we could put out.
I filled each box with other folded boxes and newspaper packing.
I was also surprised that if you fill boxes with garden waste-all is biodegradable-THEY WILL NOT TAKE IT. I don't believe they will empty-reusable trash cans either.
For biodegradable garden waste, you will find stores like Walmart, Home depo, Lowes sell huge double paper bags at like $3.00 for five of them
Old 07-26-2016, 11:50 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VApeople View Post
We just moved down from Virginia. We would put our grass and shrubbery clippings in green bags and put them out on the curb once a week, and the garbage people would pick them up. Is that how it works here? Thanks in advance for responding.
The large brown paper bags are good for that and they are available at markets and Hardware stores, they hold a lot, they are strong and they are biodegradable. The intent is to be able to shred the paper and the contents and recycle, a great idea if they do it. They pick it up at the curb, we fold the top down and tape with masking tape, works great. bbbbbb
Old 07-26-2016, 11:54 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
Most Florida lawns are better off if the clippings are left on the lawn. The soil has so much sand in it that more organic material is needed. The clippings act like fertilizer.

Look at the golf courses. The only place they collect the clippings is on the greens and that is only because they would interfere with putting. On the fairways, rough and tees, the clippings are left to decompose.
Wow,this is good to enrich the ground, good idea but on places with no lawns, use the large brown bags, they are bio degradable and available in hardware and grocery stores.

bbbbbb
Old 07-26-2016, 12:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,359 Times in 2,393 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by suesiegel View Post
You may want to call the waste removal office. When, we moved in, I was surprised that they would take as many packing boxes as we could put out.
I filled each box with other folded boxes and newspaper packing.
I was also surprised that if you fill boxes with garden waste-all is biodegradable-THEY WILL NOT TAKE IT. I don't believe they will empty-reusable trash cans either.
For biodegradable garden waste, you will find stores like Walmart, Home depo, Lowes sell huge double paper bags at like $3.00 for five of them
No trash cans....have you ever seen any on trash day?
Old 08-03-2016, 05:51 PM
Veteran member

Get a mulching mower and mow before the grass gets too long. Leave the clippings on the lawn......they add nitrogen to the soil and it will take you a quarter of the time to mow your grass.
Closed Thread

Tags
put, grass, clippings, pick, people

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.