When is the best time to plant Zoysia grass seed?

Closed Thread
Old 12-23-2021, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPDaly View Post
Converting my rockscape in the back of my CYV back to grass. It is only about 370 sq ft.. Thinking of just seeding it and not doing sod. I know how to do it well enough but not in Florida.
Plant it now or wait to a later date? When?
Is there such a thing as hydroseeding here?
I did search for this topic in the forum and found no hits
Look up Andrew Simmons on Nextdoor app.
I have not used him but his post seems nice and wants to work.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	C0F7B3AA-3C55-4D13-8EF0-E9647A7E3522.jpg
Views:	1082
Size:	24.7 KB
ID:	92003  
Old 12-23-2021, 10:54 AM

Is seed available for St. Augustine grass?
Old 12-23-2021, 11:29 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,770 Times in 3,638 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dantes View Post
You can buy zoysia seed at Lowes and Home Depot
Google is your..................

oh never mind.
Old 12-23-2021, 11:55 AM
Default Zoysia

Quote:
Yes Mr Wonderful (thank you) is correct. Zoysia seed is available at both Lowes and HD at $49 a bag. Cheaper than sod and probably too small of a job to get someone to do it for me or have it delivered for me to DIY which is super easy. Lowes does deliver sod but at a minimum of 500 sq ft
Empire Zoysia, the cultivar used in The Villages, is not available as seed, only sod. There are other cultivars of Zoysia that are available as seed. Empire Zoysia is drought tolerant, other cultivars not as much.
Old 12-23-2021, 12:03 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,770 Times in 3,638 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherylncliff View Post
Empire Zoysia, the cultivar used in The Villages, is not available as seed, only sod. There are other cultivars of Zoysia that are available as seed. Empire Zoysia is drought tolerant, other cultivars not as much.
CC

Never say never...........here is one example:

Empire Zoysia Grass Seeds/ Lawn Grass

– Seed World
Old 12-23-2021, 12:16 PM

Good Morning, Empire Zoysia will not go to seed, but there is a variety called Zenith that does. Like all Zoysia it is a warm season grass and should not be planted in soil temps below 65 degrees. Be carefull purchasing the Zoysia seed localy, if you look close you'll see it is only about 15% seed, 85% inert which will make it a bit pricey. Zenith seed is available on line without the added inert. For what it's worth I was able to purchase Empire Zoysia at about $250 per skid, 400 square feet, from Lake Gem farms. If that's an option anyone is considering, I have a pickup and would be happy to help out for something to do, PM me. By the way I'm planning on top seeding my lawn with Zenith in late Spring when my Rye grass dies back.
Old 12-23-2021, 12:44 PM
Veteran member

Zenith Zoysia will not look like Empire Zoysia. They are different shades of green and grow at different rates and height. If you don’t care about having a uniform lawn you can go ahead and use Zenith seed in an Empire lawn. I personally like to see a uniform stand of grass. Most of the zoysia planted in The Villages is Empire Zoysia.
Old 12-23-2021, 07:27 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,522 Times in 628 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happydaz View Post
Zenith Zoysia will not look like Empire Zoysia. They are different shades of green and grow at different rates and height. If you don’t care about having a uniform lawn you can go ahead and use Zenith seed in an Empire lawn. I personally like to see a uniform stand of grass. Most of the zoysia planted in The Villages is Empire Zoysia.
It’s the OP’s fenced in back yard that he is changing from stone to grass. You will never see it.
Old 12-24-2021, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Converting my rockscape in the back of my CYV back to grass. It is only about 370 sq ft.. Thinking of just seeding it and not doing sod. I know how to do it well enough but not in Florida.
I don't know of anyone who has had success with using Zoysia seed. In addition, the winter months are not growing months and it's the time that established lawns go dormant. I would use sod.
Old 12-24-2021, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
CC

Never say never...........here is one example:

Empire Zoysia Grass Seeds/ Lawn Grass

– Seed World
There are a few cultivars that are grown from seed. Only one seeded variety is commercially available. Empire zoysia is not one of those. See references below, especially the one from University of Florida but you can plant whatever you want just be aware that the seeds you use will be a different cultivar with different characteristics and requirements.

Complete Guide to Zoysia Grass Seed - Prince Gardening

Empire. A relative newcomer, Empire is
an excellent choice for home lawns, particularly for those homeowners with less lawncare experience. It is highly resistant to insects and disease and thus requires less maintenance and establishes more quickly than any other grass listed here. It is also only available as plugs or sod.

ENH11/LH011: Zoysiagrass for Florida Lawns

Zoysia japonica is the only zoysiagrass for which seed is commercially available; however, the seeded varieties generally do not produce as high-quality turf as do the vegetatively propagated (sodded or plugged) varieties.

With one exception, zoysiagrasses must be planted vegetatively by sod, plugs, or sprigs. Zoysia japonica is the only species for which seed is commercially available. Proper site preparation before planting is critical to ensure successful establishment. Refer to ENH02, Preparing to Plant a Florida Lawn (ENH 02/LH012: Preparing to Plant a Florida Lawn), for complete information.

EMPIRE ZOYIA®
Empire Zoysia® brand zoysiagrass cultivar 'SS-500' is gaining popularity in Florida. It is similar in texture to 'El Toro' and has a very dense growth habit. It maintains a nice green color and, compared to other new zoysiagrass cultivars, it has a moderate rate of establishment. Empire Zoysia® has performed well in sandy and clay soil types with aggressive growth from its stolons and rhizomes, but it can be mowed with a standard rotary mower due to its broader leaf and open growth habit. It does not do as well in shade as other zoysiagrass cultivars. Empire Zoysia® is being planted in numerous communities in Florida and seems to do well in many areas throughout the state; however, it is susceptible to large (brown) patch disease.
Old 12-25-2021, 07:46 AM

Quote:
In the long run it’s quicker, easier and cheaper to do sod
Old 12-25-2021, 03:16 PM
Default Super Sod!!

A great source of information as well as seed. I did an experimental 1,000?sguare foot bed in my Fescue front yard in Illinois (hoping it will spread) from seed. Planted in early May and by the end of July it looked like carpet. Going into our third Spring this year and hoping for lots of spread. First year it sleeps, second year it creeps, third year it leaps. The key to successful germination is soil prep, soil temperature (68-72) and water. Check out this website.
HOW TO SEED A ZENITH ZOYSIA LAWN
Old 12-25-2021, 07:09 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,522 Times in 628 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherylncliff View Post
Why would anyone worry about drought? We all have irrigation
Old 12-26-2021, 10:00 AM
Default Turf Grass

Turf Grass is the best. No moving, fertilizing or Round-up [
Old 12-26-2021, 10:02 AM
Default Turf Grass

I meant to say.
No mowing, no fertilizing, no Round-up.
Closed Thread

Tags
back, plant, grass, wait, found

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.