When do I start?

Closed Thread
Old 02-10-2011, 03:51 PM
Question When do I start?

When should I begin
1) fertilizing my lawn
2) mowing and
3) doing landscaping work including adding new plants and replacing pine straw with decorative stones?

I moved into my newly constructed home in November, and deferred landscaping services as the lawn and plants were going dormant. I am wondering if I should get started now as the grass is turning green. I have a Lily on a small lot - how much should I expect to pay for lawn cuts? Thanks for any advice on pricing and recommendations!
Old 02-10-2011, 04:09 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Odds are we are still going to have a couple of freezes, so hold off until mid- to late-March. I'd say $50-60 is a reasonable amount for cutting your lawn if it is on the smaller side. Corner lots usually cost a bit more.

If you really wanted, you could put in the stones now, covering the area where you plan to plant with newspaper but you'd probably be better off waiting.

Good luck when you have it done.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 02-10-2011, 04:10 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenia View Post
When should I begin
1) fertilizing my lawn
2) mowing and
3) doing landscaping work including adding new plants and replacing pine straw with decorative stones?

I moved into my newly constructed home in November, and deferred landscaping services as the lawn and plants were going dormant. I am wondering if I should get started now as the grass is turning green. I have a Lily on a small lot - how much should I expect to pay for lawn cuts? Thanks for any advice on pricing and recommendations!
We maintain our lawn and have it mowed regularly, but of course, not when it is dormant. It usually doesn't have to be mowed in January at all. I think the average lawn mowing cost is $45 to $60/month depending on size.

You can do rock anytime. I don't think you should plant anything new until the danger of frost is past. Probably March.
Old 02-10-2011, 04:43 PM
Platinum member

I'd agree.

Probably the biggest mistake most of us new to Central Florida make each year is to start too early! When the days are warm and the nights aren't freezing, we want to hurry things along!

True, you can usually do more sooner than you would have been able "up north!" But, it does pay to be careful!

My mower guy charges $50 a month. In season, that covers once-a-week service. Off season, he may not mow at all for several weeks. But, I know that he has invested some $20,000 in his two big mowers; that he pays at least one helper; that his huge vehicle and trailer cost a huge amount. I have a slightly larger lot than most with "kissing lanais." So, I do not fuss.

In my six years here, I have become more and more dependent upon outside services. My ultimate landscaping goal is to find a regular service who will not only maintain my property but will change out the flowers every quarter, just the way TV does!

Note that I'm not there yet!

SWR
Old 02-11-2011, 12:24 PM
Default Thanks!

Thanks for all your replies, really appreciated.......you are right, I just need to take it nice and slow, and wait a few more weeks. That gives me time to drive around and see what seems to have survived the cold temps, what I like (as well as not like) and plan some options for my landscaping plans. And now I have a better sense of the range of pricing for lawn cuts - thanks so much!

How do you plant annual flowers once the rocks are in place in the landscaping?
Old 02-11-2011, 12:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,167 Times in 439 Posts
Default Hi Gardenia

Welome to TV...It is safe to plant snap-dragons and pansies (very hardy, I planted pansies in NC and they were fine....I usually let TV landscaping guide me, if it's good enough for TV it's good enough for me...
Old 08-22-2011, 03:28 PM
Default Start lawn maintenance?

We will be closing on a new home in November? When will we need to start having someone mow?
Old 08-22-2011, 05:21 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkmom3 View Post
We will be closing on a new home in November? When will we need to start having someone mow?
I assume the sod will be laid when you close in November, so you may need someone right away. If not, IMHO, three weeks after they lay sod. The first frost in December stuns the grass so the growth really slows down.
Old 08-22-2011, 05:32 PM
Platinum member

Welcome, by the way!
Good advice from Barefoot. I would only add (in case you are not familiar) to ask what variety of grass you have. Some, like Zoysia will go dormant once the cold nights come. It turns a wheat color and will not need mowing, etc. until the warm season returns. That's what we have in our new CYV, but you may have another type of grass.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.