Why do so many crepe-murder?

Closed Thread
Old 03-16-2015, 01:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,167 Times in 439 Posts
Default Why do so many crepe-murder?

Are tree stubs the "IN-THING"?????? I'm sure there must be a botanical reason for this!
Old 03-16-2015, 01:47 PM
Veteran member

I'm pretty sure it's a 'monkey see - monkey do' thing.

The correct way is taking last years berries off which amounts to about a quarter to a third of the branch.
Of course you should also remove cross-over branchs and those growing too close to each other.

I watch the pros that trim the crepe mertyls on the square for tips.
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, cigar in one hand, scotch in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
Old 03-16-2015, 02:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

after googling how to, the recommendation is to trim braches that are the size of a pencil or smaller.

Our landscaper in SC said the crepe murder is done by the ones who want to charge more hence they murder the tree to show how much they have done.

We all know that if nature intended for the trees to be trimmed that way there would be a tell tale.

Some folks think it just forces new blooms because of the continual new growth.
That in my opinion is not a good excuse because we do not do crepe murder and have a beautiful health specimen.

See the attached:
http://www.southernliving.com/home-g...-crepe-myrtles
Old 03-16-2015, 02:42 PM
Gold member
Location: Bought Tamarind Grove, Mercer Island Wa, previously NH,FLA,Hi,CT,CA,GA, Hubby from Hawaii

I was told, If you don't want them to grow huge and they have been let go in the past you have to be brutal to get them low again.
Old 03-16-2015, 03:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,147 Times in 2,246 Posts

Interesting because I was told there are actually 3 versions of crepe myrtle, one that grows low to the ground (aka a bush), one that grows to a medium height, and one the is a true tree.
Old 03-16-2015, 04:57 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
Interesting because I was told there are actually 3 versions of crepe myrtle, one that grows low to the ground (aka a bush), one that grows to a medium height, and one the is a true tree.
I don't know about 3 versions, but I can tell you the version we had in TN is very different from our version here.
Old 03-16-2015, 05:02 PM
Sage

Because it is quick and easy - but absolutely disgusting.
Old 03-16-2015, 05:18 PM
Sage

Trimming them properly as described above will allow you to shape them into a nice canopy of blooms. By removing a third of the branch length, you keep it from getting too big

I agree that crepe murder often occurs because it is easier/faster to do than properly trim and shape the tree.
Old 03-16-2015, 07:56 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,041 Times in 368 Posts

We saw this happening in SC as well. It's quick and easy for landscapers to butcher them, then average gardeners follow suite thinking that's how it's done. I trimmed mine in early summer after they had bloomed (at the V behind to old bloom). They will bloom again in the fall. Then trim down without the hatchet job before winter.
Old 03-16-2015, 08:27 PM

Southern Living's garden editor has a crepe murder photo contest every year. This year's winners are at The Grumpy Gardener – The Daily South | Southern Living Blog

He also has excellent pruning directions at Crepe Myrtle Pruning Step-by-Step | Southern Living Blog
Old 03-16-2015, 09:37 PM
Sage

Here's a picture of my two trees in CA. They were pruned about 1/3 off the tips of the branches and removing crossing branches and those that affected air flow through the tree.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	Crepe Myrtle.jpg
Views:	505
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	49087  
Old 03-17-2015, 02:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,167 Times in 439 Posts
Default Our trees in NC looked just like yours

They were just beautiful, and we never trimmed them...Go figure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeod View Post
Here's a picture of my two trees in CA. They were pruned about 1/3 off the tips of the branches and removing crossing branches and those that affected air flow through the tree.
Old 03-17-2015, 08:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,147 Times in 2,246 Posts

All,

I Goggled Crepe Myrtle varieties and found this link to Clemson U:

Dwarf Varieties : Extension : Clemson University : South Carolina

There are LOTS of varieties, and I am now guessing the people do not have a clue what they have and are not pruning correctly.

Just my humble opinion.
Old 03-17-2015, 08:56 AM
Veteran member

I had no idea that their were Crepe Myrtle pruning police in TV?!?

They are almost impossible to kill, so if the owner wants to cut them back drastically and keep them more of a bush that a tree .... that is their decision and business. Their are several varieties that If you stick to the "pencil thickness" rule you will need someone with a bucket truck to trim within 5 years.

Often a function of how you need to trim one (or any plant / bush / tree) is the location of it's planting. Planting is often done WAY to close to the house and unless it is pruned way back, it will be growing into the house / eves / and roof .... which is very bad for your house.

Live and let trim
Old 03-17-2015, 11:07 AM

Growth from spring till summer produces blooms. The more growth cut back the larger the new growth will be in diameter and length. The size of the summer blooms will larger, the larger the spring growth is. Hence, the more you cut back a crepe myrtle, the larger the blooms will be.

There are other reasons to cut back severely, such as the removal of heavy lichen and ball moss infestations.

I have Crepe Myrtles I desired to grow taller/larger. I kept a single trunk long, cut where it expanded larger than 1/2" in diameter, pruning the rest of the branches in "crepe murder" style.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.