Why do so many crepe-murder?

Closed Thread
Old 03-21-2015, 03:59 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrudyM View Post
I was told, If you don't want them to grow huge and they have been let go in the past you have to be brutal to get them low again.
SOme research should be done online and the proper crepe myrtle put in. There are many different varieties that grow at different heights. Right plant, right place!
Old 03-21-2015, 04:02 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LndLocked View Post
I had no idea that their were Crepe Myrtle pruning police in TV?!?

They are almost impossible to kill, so if the owner wants to cut them back drastically and keep them more of a bush that a tree .... that is their decision and business. Their are several varieties that If you stick to the "pencil thickness" rule you will need someone with a bucket truck to trim within 5 years.

Often a function of how you need to trim one (or any plant / bush / tree) is the location of it's planting. Planting is often done WAY to close to the house and unless it is pruned way back, it will be growing into the house / eves / and roof .... which is very bad for your house.

Live and let trim

I've got another quote for you, "right plant, right place". Buy the right plant and it won't have to be trimmed so drastically. Besides, many of the crepe myrtles are in places with plenty of space. And there are varieties of crepe myrtle that don't get so big.
Old 03-21-2015, 04:04 PM
Veteran member

I agree!
Old 03-21-2015, 04:05 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
All,

I Goggled Crepe Myrtle varieties and found this link to Clemson U:

Dwarf Varieties : Extension : Clemson University : South Carolina

There are LOTS of varieties, and I am now guessing the people do not have a clue what they have and are not pruning correctly.

Just my humble opinion.
I agree!
Old 03-22-2015, 03:31 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thumbs up Leave Tree Pruning to a "Professional"

I cannot believe that so many people do not know that there are many varieties of crepe myrtles. Homeowners need to know what variety they have and if they don't know, they should ask for help from someone who does know.

No, you do not "cut back severely" ever, as mentioned in post #15. No, you don't want to be "brutal" ever, as mentioned in post #5.

Follow the directions in post #10 and take note of what not to do. It's too bad Villagers can't be fined for what they do to trees. Judging from some of the recent hacking I've seen, they should be!
Old 03-22-2015, 05:39 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
Interesting because I was told there are actually 3 versions of crepe myrtle, one that grows low to the ground (aka a bush), one that grows to a medium height, and one the is a true tree.
That's so true, in size only. But I think there are multiple kinds.
Old 03-23-2015, 12:57 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrudyM View Post
I was told, If you don't want them to grow huge and they have been let go in the past you have to be brutal to get them low again.
I half-murdered ours this year as it had been left to run wild for several years - and in no way do I blame Mrs Fox for this, although it was clearly her fault - and it has rewarded us with its best ever start to the season.

I shall half-murder it again next year in the remaining wild areas.

The key with many such plants, including hedges, is not to remove more than one third in total, so that they are not over-stressed but have a good chance to recover.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.