Why won't my bougainvillea bloom?  Or did it?
Home

Menu

Notices

» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements

Old 01-11-2017, 10:53 PM

Our bougainvillea was severely hacked at, cut down, and moved a year ago when we re-configured our landscaping. For the longest time, I wondered if it would survive. It is happy and blooming great guns, but I did add some fertilizer to it.

Old 01-11-2017, 11:15 PM
Soaring Parsley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opmoochler View Post
Our bougainvillea was severely hacked at, cut down, and moved a year ago when we re-configured our landscaping. For the longest time, I wondered if it would survive. It is happy and blooming great guns, but I did add some fertilizer to it.
About how long is the bloom period for this area?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Bougainvillea
Old 01-12-2017, 10:54 AM

Default Bougainvillea

Such a wealth of good information.

Bougainvillea - University of Florida, Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences
Old 01-12-2017, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
About how long is the bloom period for this area?

Thanks.
It's blooming now and has been for several weeks. I fertilized it in October. It's in a spot where it gets lots of sun and is trimmed/shaped each time the yard guy does the rest of our bushes, so when it recovers from that it blooms again. I feel like it blooms about every three months.
Old 01-14-2017, 09:44 AM
Soaring Parsley

Today is the day! I am going out there with my pruners and I will be ruthless!

Thank you for all the good information on personal experience locally with bougainvillea and also for providing links I had not found.

That University of Florida link says late winter is a good time of year to prune bougainvillea -- or early spring.

Many years ago, a gardening friend told me that if I want easy care plants I should pay attention to what is planted in commercial landscaping, like malls, etc. because those plants have to be tough.

Well, you know those purple flowers planted at Colony -- I noticed those flowers seemed to not need much attention so........

Last spring, I finally got around to finding out what they are. I bought some, planted them as kind of an edging in the bed where the bougainvillea resides on its trellis, and now......

Thank you, my purple lantana, for behaving so nicely and looking so happy, blooming away, and needing only a little shearing, and for not seeming to care if I am here or not.

And now, I better put this iPad away and go get the pruners and have at that big, boring green thing on the trellis out there.

Last edited by Boomer; 01-14-2017 at 09:51 AM.
Old 01-14-2017, 12:04 PM

Finally, after 3 years our bougainvillea bloomed. Also, changed lawn service. Too much water was one problem. It grows like crazy, but never bloomed. This fall it finally produced blooms and looks lovely.
Old 01-16-2017, 07:34 PM

If you have lots of dark green new growth, the growth needed to happen sooner and harden off before bloom time. Likely you trimmed it a little too late in the ear or it is in a larger container and in a state of fast growth curbing the ability to bloom. I suggest you don't trim the plant again until it blooms nicely.
Old 01-28-2017, 10:48 AM
Soaring Parsley

The saga continues.........

Well, not exactly........

I have learned a lot from the advice I found here. Thank you to all.

But......I must confess......about a week ago, I evicted my uncooperative bougainvillea. I don't think there was any hope. Some of its leaves looked like it had started to have some other issues, besides not blooming. And so I got out my shovel and cut my losses.

It has been replaced with......yep, another bougainvillea. The new one is looking good--so far, all covered in blooms--for now.

I know I sound like a bad gardener, lacking patience. But this is the plant I see from inside my house, too. It was acting real ugly.....gave me only one choice. Banished!

Last edited by Boomer; 01-28-2017 at 11:36 AM.
Old 05-08-2017, 07:45 AM

Your right about the irrigation as it pertains to water control. Try to find a dryer spot or have the sprinkler company change the head that waters that particular zone. Good Luck.

Tags
bougainvillea, blooms, plants, spring, pink