Will hosta grow here?

Closed Thread
Old 10-16-2018, 06:38 PM
Default The right plant in the right place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henryk View Post
In Provincetown on Cape Cod, I grew numerous hosta varieties. Can you successfully grow it here? If so, please share a few varieties and sources.

You mention that you have grown of are growing Hostas in Cape Cod. Everthing is far different here than in Cape Cod.
Our zone is 9a far warmer. Our soil is alkaline sandy clay,
Hostas like organic well drained soil that is acidic. The box stores like Walmart do sell them. I enjoy seeing what others are growing. I've seen afew hostas none that looked as good as the ones I used to grow up north.
Old 10-28-2018, 09:27 AM
Sage

I saw the “sun hosta” at Walmart on 466 yesterday. The ones they had looked a bit sad, but should thrive with reasonable care. They suggest AM sun and PM shade. Mine did well in the front walkway until the darn snails arrived. Here’s a pic.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	528430AB-EC7D-4E8F-A397-B70AC78B085C.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	77077  
Old 10-28-2018, 11:37 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by juneroses View Post
If you have a hosta-type site, you might consider peacock gingers. The University of Florida says "This Florida-Friendly groundcover is perfect for shady spots or for any northern gardeners who miss growing hostas." Here's an image search:

peacock ginger varieties florida - Google Search
There are a couple of Florida hosta that can grow in the sun and tolerate the heat. They sell them at Lowes and Home Depot. I put them in pots. They do even better when the weather turns cool. I agree with the peacock gingers. They make a nice substitute if the rabbits leave them alone.
Closed Thread

Tags
grow, varieties, hosta, share, sources

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.