You leave but your weeds grow

Closed Thread
Old 06-19-2018, 05:55 PM
Gold member
Default You leave but your weeds grow

We take pride in our home and property year round. I have noticed again this year that when the snowbirds leave in my neighborhood so does the landscaping. Weeds fill the flower beds and driveways, out of sight, out of mind. How would you handle resolving this? I do not know the folks well enough to have a conversation about it. Maybe they will read this thread. Thanks.
Old 06-19-2018, 06:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debfrommaine View Post
We take pride in our home and property year round. I have noticed again this year that when the snowbirds leave in my neighborhood so does the landscaping. Weeds fill the flower beds and driveways, out of sight, out of mind. How would you handle resolving this? I do not know the folks well enough to have a conversation about it. Maybe they will read this thread. Thanks.
Call deed restrictions. They will contact the owners.
Old 06-19-2018, 06:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,922 Times in 2,448 Posts

Imo CYV s are the worst? Each village probably got several abandoned properties durmg summer months.
Old 06-19-2018, 09:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,071 Times in 2,743 Posts

As part time residents, weeds are on top of our list of problems. It seems like every time we are able to carve out some special time to go to our Villages home, we end up spending way too much of our limited time pulling weeds. It's getting to the point where we are considering just getting rid of our gardens and planting grass everywhere. It's a shame because the gardens are beautiful for a couple of weeks after the weeds are pulled, but it is a never ending job. We have tried everything including commercial grade landscape cloth covered with a thick layer of stone as well as various non-chemical weed control methods, but nothing works.
Old 06-19-2018, 09:20 PM
Sage

Are not excessive weeds part of deed restrictions ? A simple phone call be solve this problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-19-2018, 09:35 PM
Sage

Does anyone know of a reliable and reasonable priced contractor that specializes in weeding gardens in the Villages? We would gladly hire them, and problem would be solved. Unfortunately, our extensive searches for such a service have come up empty.
Old 06-20-2018, 04:33 AM
Gold member
Default Weeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
Does anyone know of a reliable and reasonable priced contractor that specializes in weeding gardens in the Villages? We would gladly hire them, and problem would be solved. Unfortunately, our extensive searches for such a service have come up empty.
Now it is the weeds in the driveways - I am thinking their landscapers could spray something into the cracks to help. Later it will be the beds, ugh.
Old 06-21-2018, 10:21 AM
Sage

Our neighbors across the street pay our lawn service to spray the weeds every week. Spraying them when they are just peeking through and keeping on top of it before the weeds get big is the way to go. Not just every now and again and then having to actually pull them out.
Old 06-21-2018, 02:21 PM
Gold member
Location: Pittsburgh, Cincinnati,Chicago ,buffalo, Asheville ,Pittsburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
As part time residents, weeds are on top of our list of problems. It seems like every time we are able to carve out some special time to go to our Villages home, we end up spending way too much of our limited time pulling weeds. It's getting to the point where we are considering just getting rid of our gardens and planting grass everywhere. It's a shame because the gardens are beautiful for a couple of weeks after the weeds are pulled, but it is a never ending job. We have tried everything including commercial grade landscape cloth covered with a thick layer of stone as well as various non-chemical weed control methods, but nothing works.
Call choice maintaince they will pull your weeds for a very reasonable price.
Old 06-21-2018, 02:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnieman View Post
Our neighbors across the street pay our lawn service to spray the weeds every week. Spraying them when they are just peeking through and keeping on top of it before the weeds get big is the way to go. Not just every now and again and then having to actually pull them out.
Who is your lawn service?

This is the reason we sold our designer and are looking for a CYV that will enable us to have just stones and shrubs. Neighbors on both sides of our designer went north for the summer, and their landscapers flew the coop. One had several complaints. He tried and tried to get his landscaper (Service Smart) to come mow and weed. They would promise to do so and never show up.

It's a real problem for snowbirds, and now that we are snowbirds, we don't want that problem. Not good for the neighborhood or for us either.
Old 06-21-2018, 03:16 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,588 Times in 567 Posts

Between our lawn guys and our home watch we get pics every week. Never had a issue with any of our homes since 2010
Old 06-21-2018, 07:33 PM
KittyKat
Thumbs up

CHOICE MAINTENANCE will spray your beds every month(and pull the few weeds that make it) for $20. For the initial visit they will pull all the weeds and spray--I think I paid $40. Their ph# in Ocala is 352-502-2880. **I'm not sure if the price is higher for a designer home or one with many landscape beds.
Old 06-21-2018, 10:39 PM
Sage

Thanks for the replies and suggesting of '"choice maintenance" for weed control service. We will explore them as an option but are not sure we want our flower beds sprayed. We are interested in a service that pulls weeds and do not want roundup or a similar toxic product sprayed on our property. However, if they pull weeds and supplement that with a non-toxic/ non-chemical spray such as 20% agricultural vinegar then we would be very interested. I will call them to get more details on their service.
Old 06-22-2018, 03:59 AM

I am in this weed boat right now. I had a woman that used to come but does not anymore.... Not full time yet .... my neighbor did call and I am really embarrassed about it. I have Choice do my lawn. They went out gave me a price to do the 1st weeding. And then from there. My problem is to get them there... thought and hope it is done by now. I don't want my property looking like that or have neighbors mad...
Old 06-22-2018, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
Who is your lawn service?

This is the reason we sold our designer and are looking for a CYV that will enable us to have just stones and shrubs. Neighbors on both sides of our designer went north for the summer, and their landscapers flew the coop. One had several complaints. He tried and tried to get his landscaper (Service Smart) to come mow and weed. They would promise to do so and never show up.

It's a real problem for snowbirds, and now that we are snowbirds, we don't want that problem. Not good for the neighborhood or for us either.

hiring Service Smart to pull weeds is like telling a teenage boy to read the articles in Playboy! it just isn’t going to happen!
Closed Thread

Tags
year, weeds, leave, resolving, handle

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.