You leave but your weeds grow

Closed Thread
Old 07-15-2018, 12:21 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiotte View Post
Are not excessive weeds part of deed restrictions ? A simple phone call be solve this problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, excessive weeds are definitely part of deed restrictions. We owned a CYV as a rental and tried to be exemplary about keeping the property clean and weed free but not everyone did. There was a resident who put a red light in his post light. As if that wasn't enough, it was flashing. I called Community Standards about the flashing red light down the way and the knee high weeds across the street. A very nice man in Community Standards said that he couldn't do anything about the flashing red light but he could do something about the weeds. They were gone within 2 weeks and the weeds didn't come back.

I know it's hot in the summer but it's not right to let the weeds go. At first I went over once a month in the early a.m., took cold bottled water with me and worked where it was shady. I gradually changed to every 2 weeks. The weeds really show in rock. I'd rather have grass any day. By the time we sold the cyv, I was going over weekly and using Round-Up. It was the yard and weeds that got to me.
Old 07-15-2018, 04:59 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

We had a whole lot of luck with doubling up on the weed blocking material. It is not perfect but it sure did help. We have been trying to use straight white vinegar instead of chemicals on our flower beds. So far so good.

The weed growth in the “cracks” in the driveway don’t respond as well with the vinegar. We still have to use Chemicals but less frequently when you clean out between the driveway slabs with the hose. That’s one nasty job, you come in drenched and dirty but only have to do it twice a year. Usually the day Egners cleans the house.

If you don’t like doing it yourself call Choice Maintenance, the mans name is Tate 352-502-2880. These people do what they tell you they will and do it on time and are reasonable and just good people to deal with. We had been through several bad situations but are lucky to have found them.

Last edited by Nucky; 07-15-2018 at 08:38 AM.
Old 07-15-2018, 06:44 AM

Community Standard numbers: 352-751-3912 or 352-753-4022
Old 07-15-2018, 07:38 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
Who is your lawn service?

This is the reason we sold our designer and are looking for a CYV that will enable us to have just stones and shrubs. Neighbors on both sides of our designer went north for the summer, and their landscapers flew the coop. One had several complaints. He tried and tried to get his landscaper (Service Smart) to come mow and weed. They would promise to do so and never show up.

It's a real problem for snowbirds, and now that we are snowbirds, we don't want that problem. Not good for the neighborhood or for us either.
We just bought a CYV. We would have preferred a designer home and found one we loved, the lawn on the corner lot was just too huge to think about as snowbirds. The CYV we purchase doesn’t have a single blade of grass, is concrete with some shrubs with crushed stone.
Old 07-15-2018, 07:44 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchase View Post
Community Standard numbers: 352-751-3912 or 352-753-4022
Don't forget to leave your name, phone number, and address if and when you are making a complaint. Some people feel the violator has the right to face his accuser face-to-face. Also make sure the violation is visible from your premise as if it is not there would be no reason for you to Complain. What you signed when you originally moved here has nothing to do with what you do after you take up residency. This statement is made to all the people who are against anonymous complaints
Old 07-15-2018, 04:52 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Just because you have stone, it does not inhibit all weed growth.
Old 07-17-2018, 12:30 PM
Default Weed wars

Quote:
Originally Posted by perrjojo View Post
Just because you have stone, it does not inhibit all weed growth.
The fact is no matter what you do you will have weeds-NATURE HATES A VACUUM.

Preen type products will do perhaps half the job. It kills seeds. Our grass, either St Augustine or Empire Zoysia spreads by runners and Preen will not stop it

Many have stone. Even with landscape fabric you will get some weeds. While, the landscaping fabric will prevent SOME WEEDS, you will still get some and the landscaping fabric will prevent you using the time tested tools a hoe, s cultivator or a mattock.

Find a way to enjoy weeding because you will be doing it whether you enjoy it or not. Even if you hire someone to do it. Surely they will miss some.

WEED WARS
Old 07-17-2018, 12:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan the man View Post
Don't forget to leave your name, phone number, and address if and when you are making a complaint. Some people feel the violator has the right to face his accuser face-to-face. Also make sure the violation is visible from your premise as if it is not there would be no reason for you to Complain. What you signed when you originally moved here has nothing to do with what you do after you take up residency. This statement is made to all the people who are against anonymous complaints
One is NOT expected to identify themselves when they report a deed violation. Period. You may feel otherwise.

Weeding is very, very hard, hot work here in the summer when weeds grow fast, even if Preen has been laid down. Even if weeds are sprayed. So weeding is expensive. Spraying is cheaper. NOTHING works completely; stone, Preen, pulling, spraying.

Last edited by graciegirl; 07-17-2018 at 12:59 PM.
Old 07-17-2018, 01:30 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,755 Times in 3,630 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dietpepsi View Post
hiring Service Smart to pull weeds is like telling a teenage boy to read the articles in Playboy! it just isn’t going to happen!
Changed my mind.
Old 07-18-2018, 12:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan the man View Post
I really disagree with you. Nobody "has the right to face his accuser" in The Villages. This isn't a democracy. You signed a contract to act/not act in a certain way when you bought your house, and these are the rules as the developer deemed necessary or convenient to running The Villages.

Nobody made you sign that contract and buy that house, so you knew the rules coming in.

And there is no rule that the violation must be visible from your premises. There were people who live in our neighborhood who couldn't see from their homes but who had to drive by eyesores on both corners of our street at three different times in the last few years. They rightly felt it brought the neighborhood down.

Tags
year, weeds, leave, resolving, handle

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.