Is your FL friendly landscape really Florida friendly?

Closed Thread
Old 11-16-2022, 08:04 AM
Default Is your FL friendly landscape really Florida friendly?

Is your FL friendly landscape really Florida friendly? Or just plants that don't freeze?

Doesn't Florida friendly mean Florida WILDLIFE supportive as well?

I mean as long as we are pretending that these "new" Walters viburnum varieties, Indian Hawthornes et. al. are "Native" or "friendly", shouldn't we be asking ourselves how they can be "friendly" when some hybrids (or trimming them prior to blooming or right after) don't produce the fruits/seeds for the birds?

Also.. seems to me, many of the same people touting "native" and "friendly" are also saying don't plant palms because of the "palm" rats...
Many species eat the fruits and bees use the pollen and nectars from our different palms.. not just rats. If we are REALLY being FL friendly, shouldn't we be planting as many species that provide food and shelter for wildlife as possible?

We sure are REMOVING a LOT of HABITAT as we all either live in or near this wonderous and humongous place called The Villages. I have seen a recent trend in changing the laws we had in place to REQUIRE NATIVE.. to require "friendly". Heck, the builder was already more often breaking than adhering to this rule for 2 decades now.. but money talks right?

There is a very wide line between completely wild ( healthy) and a trimmed sterile, poison rich 100% free and void of bugs and critters landscape.
Funny how most all of us land in this very wide line somewhere, but some stand pointing fingers in both directions, calling everyone else wrong.
Closed Thread

Tags
friendly, florida, native, landscape, rats

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.