Zoysia Grass & Bermuda

Closed Thread
Old 03-31-2015, 04:31 AM
Gold member
Default Zoysia Grass & Bermuda

Seems like, everywhere I look where Zoysia grass has been planted, I also see Bermuda coming in. Is that probably caused by lawnmowers bringing in the seed?
Old 03-31-2015, 06:22 AM
Veteran member
Location: Reading, Pa, The Villages, Reading, Pa, The Villages until the end.

Excellent question... Zoysia was planted 5 years age and now we have 3 spots where Bermuda is starting to take over the Zoysia.

Last edited by Biker Dog; 04-17-2015 at 06:14 AM.
Old 03-31-2015, 08:57 AM

I have the invasion on both sides of the property and both neighbors have a service. Better yet, how do you kill it without killing the zoysia?
Old 03-31-2015, 02:17 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsanborn View Post
I have the invasion on both sides of the property and both neighbors have a service. Better yet, how do you kill it without killing the zoysia?
Almost impossible!!!!
Old 03-31-2015, 03:40 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaPaLarry View Post
Seems like, everywhere I look where Zoysia grass has been planted, I also see Bermuda coming in. Is that probably caused by lawnmowers bringing in the seed?
i have st augustine grass and the same problem....i talked to our lawn service and was told bermuda is spreading from the golf courses....it spreads thru the air
Old 03-31-2015, 09:20 PM
Soaring Eagle member

If the Bermuda grass is spotty, the only way I can think of to get rid of it is to either:

Dig it out a little beyond the spot where you see it, OR

Kill the area with an herbicide, also somewhat beyond its growing area.

Then replace the spot with a new piece of sod.
Make sure you wait about two weeks so that you can tell if all the Bermuda is gone.
Old 03-31-2015, 10:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,558 Times in 507 Posts

Why doesn't anyone like Bermuda grass? I had it at homes in Arkansas and Louisiana and it's really easy to take care of.
Old 04-01-2015, 08:10 PM

I find all of this very interesting in that I have Bermuda in open space that butts up against my zoysia in my back yard. What is interesting is that my Zoysia is taking over the Bermuda grass you are all talking about. It has grown out a good 15 feet into the field. My Zoysia in Tall Trees has been planted 10 yrs now. I see no invasion of Bermuda anywhere.
I have another property in Lynnhaven where the St. Augustine grass is migrated heavily into my Zoysia in my back yard there.
Old 04-02-2015, 04:19 AM

Lawn services rarely clean the bottom of the mowers. Moving quickly from lawn to lawn will cause cross contamination from different grasses and weeds.
Old 04-02-2015, 07:08 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Gawdun View Post
Lawn services rarely clean the bottom of the mowers. Moving quickly from lawn to lawn will cause cross contamination from different grasses and weeds.
Which I have always understood to be a good thing. Maybe things a different here in the south, but up north I learned that it was best to have a blend of different grasses. There are some diseases that attack only certain strain of grasses. By having different types of grass, if these diseases strike, you don't lose your entire lawn.

And people should make sure that they know what they're talking about when discussing types of grass. Most of our golf courses down here are Bermuda grass from tee to green including the green. It's an excellent grass to have for lawns. Of course there are several different types of Bermuda grass as there are several different types of almost every strain and they can be very different. St Augustines bent grass that we have here is very different from the typical bent grasses that are used for greens up north. There is a huge difference between red fescue and tall fescue. Red fescue is one of the best grasses for golf course playing surfaces. You'd want to keep your ball out of the tall fescue however.
I'm not a turfgrass expert, but I have work with many turfgrass experts and know that the subject is far more complex than most people realize.
Are you aware that there is an entire department at The University of Massachusetts School of Agronomy dedicated to turgrasses?
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 04-16-2015, 06:59 PM

Most of the Bermuda you see coming up in your lawn as a weed is native coastal Bermuda and not a golf course variety. It was likely on the property before the house was built.. came in with sod as a weed.. or from the landscape plants and trees, where it came in as a weed. Unless you live on a golf course of course, and see it spreading toward your home.
You can get rid of it, but if it has been there longer than a year or two, it might be more trouble than it's worth.
Old 04-17-2015, 06:18 AM
Veteran member
Location: Reading, Pa, The Villages, Reading, Pa, The Villages until the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzello View Post
Most of the Bermuda you see coming up in your lawn as a weed is native coastal Bermuda and not a golf course variety. It was likely on the property before the house was built.. came in with sod as a weed.. or from the landscape plants and trees, where it came in as a weed. Unless you live on a golf course of course, and see it spreading toward your home.
You can get rid of it, but if it has been there longer than a year or two, it might be more trouble than it's worth.
How do you get rid of it with out having to resod the area???
Old 04-17-2015, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker Dog View Post
How do you get rid of it with out having to resod the area???
I don't know of any method that doesn't include re-sodding. Established Coastal Bermuda has roots 2 feet deep, and if you don't kill or remove the entire root, expect a weed encore.
Old 04-19-2015, 06:20 AM

Bermuda and Zoysia are genetically very similar. A regular herbicide that will kill the Bermuda will also kill the Zoysia. There is a chemical, fusillade, that can kill only the Bermuda. It is sold under the trade name Ornamec, and is carried by the John Deere place in Leesburg. I have my lawn cared for by Zoysia Green. The brew that they use has this chemical in it, and it does keep the Bermuda at bay.
Old 04-26-2015, 12:01 AM

Bermuda grass seeds can sit in your soul for years before germinating, chances are it was there before the zoysia was planted. There is actually products that can be used to kill the Bermuda in a zoysia lawn without damaging the zoysia grass, unfortunately there isn't anything for St Augustine grass without killing it also. The Bermuda usually blends in with the zoysia fairly decent but when it's in St Augustine grass it is an eyesore.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.