Zoysia or St. Augustine

Closed Thread
Old 07-13-2020, 07:50 AM

Contact the University of Florida Extension people. Solutions for Your Life - UF/IFAS Extension They will tell you exactly what is right for your part of The Villages. We are so big north to south that a climate zone line runs right through The Villages. There are free plant clinics every Monday and Friday - currently online but usually in local buildings. Bring any question about gardening to the clinics.
Old 07-13-2020, 07:56 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,015 Times in 273 Posts

10 years in Duval and a constant b@ttle with the Zoysia. We are now one month in Chitty Chatty with St. Augustine and absolutely love the look.
Old 07-13-2020, 08:15 AM

I really don't like posts that start with "Don't yell at me". You pretty much take away any enjoyment that I would have had. Anyway, thanks for the post and the responses. I have a Courtyard Villa. In a couple of years when my wife finally decides to retire we'll move here permanently and will probably buy something bigger and unfortunately with grass. After reading the responses I now know grass should be a consideration in what we buy. I picked my Villa specifically because it does not have one blade of grass. Stone both in front and back. Our home in GA has Bermuda in front and Fescue in back (because of the trees). All I know about grass is it's a pain in the back - literally.
Old 07-13-2020, 08:30 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,470 Times in 611 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpyo View Post
I really don't like posts that start with "Don't yell at me". You pretty much take away any enjoyment that I would have had. Anyway, thanks for the post and the responses.
Personally I certainly understand why he/she began that way. How many times have we see somewhat nasty replies on ToTV to a Threadstarter? Some folks are "Holier than Tho", or simply MUST respond with a snarky comment. It is what it is - ToTV is a microcosm of our society.
Old 07-13-2020, 08:31 AM

Zoysia is an awful grass. St Augustine is green all year long.
Old 07-13-2020, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doro22 View Post
We had the Zoysia removed and put in St. Augustine because we think it is more aesthetically pleasing. We are from S. Fl where all we ever saw was St Augustine. It has wider blades and they are shiny and thick. Just drive around and see the differences, and then make your decision.
St. AUGUSTINE
Old 07-13-2020, 09:06 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,232 Times in 419 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry Azz View Post
I have Sensimilla, but I’m not sharing it
Old 07-13-2020, 09:25 AM
Veteran member

We live in The Village of Sunset Pointe" and we have St Augustine. It's a thirsty grass without too many problems. We chose the area we wanted to live in because of the type of grass. SOunds odd but we were renting in Caroliine at the time and they have Zoysia which seemed to be brown all the time. Gets hot, turns brown. Gets cold, turns brown. Dry spell, turns brown. I didn't want brown grass. As a matter of fact, while we were renting in Caroline, someone who backed up to Stillwater Trail had their lawn painted. There was a sign posted that said, "Lawn Painting by Jim -----. Call --- --- ----." We laughed because it sounded so foreign to us. I wasn't going to be painting my lawn.
Old 07-13-2020, 09:44 AM
Send a message via AIM to Grill Meister Send a message via Yahoo to Grill Meister
Default What type grasses?

I have lived all over Florida....Miami, St. Pete, Jacksonville, Tallahassee, Sarasota and TV, plus NC, SC and GA. I much prefer the Zoyzia. I think it looks much, much better than St. Augustine throughout all the seasons. Plus it requires no where near the maintenance of St. Augustine....SA is subject to chinch bugs and the thatch builds up and requires verti-mowing from time to time or it will be subjected to all sorts of fungus, etc.
Old 07-13-2020, 10:07 AM
Default Zoysia or St Augustine

If you are from the North go with Zoysia if you can. More like a northern grass. St Augustine is rough with wide blades and hard to walk on without shoes. Hard to cut if you use a push mower. Been here 15 years. First yard was St Augustine, I hated it. Drought tolerant..bull. I had to water It constantly to keep it alive, the same with Zoysia but watering can be cut down during dormancy. Constant bug infestations with St Augustine even with monthly service. Haven’t had a problem with Zoysia and bugs with monthly service. Zoysia will go dormant in a COLD winter but If you get a break from mowing.

Neighbor planted St Augustine but quickly removed it, didn’t like the texture. Some of it remained and took over Zoysia, since it grows faster. Got rid of it by replacing it..have to get it all. . St Augustine looks like a weed to me as a former Northerner. I don’t think you can introduce a different type grass in an established neighborhood. If you do, approved or otherwise look for your neighbors to object if they hate St Augustine like I do. It will take over Zoysia In your neighbors yard...good luck with that!
Old 07-13-2020, 10:28 AM
Gold member

Love Floratam St. Augestine.
Replaced all Zoysia.
Looks better, much easier maintenance.
Leave it cut at 4" height.
Old 07-13-2020, 01:57 PM

Try Next Door-its online and includes all the neighborhoods nearby. They have recommendations and I've never been disappointed.
Old 07-13-2020, 02:10 PM

We have zoysia and hate but we can't get a landscaper to change it. They say the lot is too small. Would much rather have St Augustine.
Old 07-13-2020, 03:52 PM

You can walk barefoot on Empire Zoysia grass with no discomfort. St. Augustine grass grows with thicker blades and needs to be mowed higher than Empire Zoysia. St. Augustine grass is uncomfortable to walk barefoot on. Empire Zoysia begins its dormancy according to the light levels of the season. If you get a hard freeze, Zoysia will go dormant (turn brown) and then start greening up again when the temperatures start turning warmer. Both St. Augustine and Empire Zoysia are excellent choices, but you really can not mix them together. There are different insects that feed on each one, different ranges of problems and different chemicals and fertilizers. Mix the two together and you have a lot of maintenance work to do.
Old 07-13-2020, 06:27 PM
Platinum member

Have you ever see a dog tip-toe across the grass? That is what our lab does in our St. Augustine grass. If the dog doesn’t like it, I don’t either.

I’ve always wondered what would happen if Kentucky Blue Grass was mixed with St. Augustine? In the winter months I think the blue grass would thrive.

Tags
category, landscaping.j, wondered, zoysia, share

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.