Tube lighting

Closed Thread
Old 01-25-2016, 07:03 AM
Cool Tube lighting

We are interested in installing a tube solar in our kitchen. Are they good? How much and will they leak.
Old 01-25-2016, 08:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts
Default One of major installers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Lake View Post
We are interested in installing a tube solar in our kitchen. Are they good? How much and will they leak.
you'll see around here is The Solar Guys. Expect to pay $600-$800 depending on the size, and if you want an auxiliary light (LED is higher) installed inside of the tube. They provide a great source of light.
Old 01-25-2016, 08:08 AM

A solar tube is awesome! Call the Solar Guys and let them explain...they will light up your life and they do not leak!
Old 01-25-2016, 09:22 AM
TOTV SPONSOR

Solar tubes are a great way to add natural light in a room or home. I typically see them installed in kitchens, laundry rooms, guest bathrooms and even master closets.

There are 3-4 well known installers of these here in The Villages. It may be wise to get quotes, etc from a few of them. I believe the Solar Guys are probably the largest.

Literally thousands of home in The Villages have these. I RARELY EVER see any leak. Think about it....if they had a tendency to leak, you would read threads here about the damage a leak has caused...but you do not see this here.

Just make sure the installer moves the attic insulation back around the tube in the attic so you have no uninsulated attic space around the tube. Also, if you do have a light installed inside the tube, make sure they put a junction box cover on the electrical box....sometimes they forget. According to code, you cannot have exposed conductors or wire nuts....they need to be in a enclosed box.

For many homes they are a nice addition to the home.

Frank
Old 01-25-2016, 09:54 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,996 Times in 2,197 Posts

IMHO, my wife and I discussed installing solar tubes, and decided to have LED lights installed instead. The LEDS are much less expensive, are dimmable, very inexpensive to operate, and most importantly, available at night and during cloudy days.

OP, noticed this is your first post, so just a suggestion, search this site for the previous threads on solar lights, this will give you lots of background on these items. There is no economic reason to install these, they will never pay for them selves in your lifetime, so the reason to install boils down to natural light versus artificial light.
Please do not shoot the messenger, and I hope this helps.
Old 01-25-2016, 10:02 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
IMHO, my wife and I discussed installing solar tubes, and decided to have LED lights installed instead. The LEDS are much less expensive, are dimmable, very inexpensive to operate, and most importantly, available at night and during cloudy days.

OP, noticed this is your first post, so just a suggestion, search this site for the previous threads on solar lights, this will give you lots of background on these items. There is no economic reason to install these, they will never pay for them selves in your lifetime, so the reason to install boils down to natural light versus artificial light.
Great points. Had not thought about it this way but we did have some LED's installed in our kitchen and love them. May stop there.

Old 01-25-2016, 10:24 AM
TOTV SPONSOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post

Excellent point, as usual...! Another positive for this option is one less roof penetration. I have seen some amazing LED light systems....they now change colors, etc!

Frank
Old 01-25-2016, 10:39 AM
Veteran member

There is no substitute for a window and natural daylight that eases in at dawn, reaches peak light over mid-day, and slowly darkens at dusk.

Solar tubes by the Solatube brand are in fact a "window" that allows natural daylight to come in and lighten and darken as daylight behaves. They also bring in the natural moonlight, which is great in the bathroom at night. No need to have a night-light to avoid stumbling around or fumbling for a switch when getting up during the night to use the bathroom.

Having these in our bathrooms with no windows, there is never a thought about them being windowless. Not so with electric lighting, good as LED's are.

If you see solar tubes in a home and the light looks eerie, those aren't Solatube brand ones. (You get what you pay for.)
Old 01-27-2016, 09:55 AM
Veteran member

$600-$800? How much does it cost to turn on a light? What's the pay back? Years?
Old 01-27-2016, 11:00 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelJohnson View Post
$600-$800? How much does it cost to turn on a light? What's the pay back? Years?

Bragging rights aren't cheap.
Old 01-27-2016, 12:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,302 Times in 865 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelJohnson View Post
Won't live long enough to get a payback. We have three because we like natural light.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Closed Thread

Tags
tube, good, leak, solar, lighting, interested, installing, kitchen

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.