10 Ways to Reduce Your Utility Bills

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread

Old 05-12-2018, 11:38 AM
TOTV SPONSOR

Arrow 10 Ways to Reduce Your Utility Bills

Visit my website for GREAT information about The Villages Florida www.LyleGant.com

Old 05-12-2018, 11:43 AM
Sage

Some great tips...thanks!
Old 05-12-2018, 01:49 PM
Veteran member

Default Try these which are practical

Not really useful.
Look, if you want to save water you can safely eliminate the tip to install a cistern in the linked page and instead install toilet bags and replace your 2 1/2 gallons flow restrictor in your shower head with a two gallon one. You will easily save 600 - 800 gallons a month Home Water Bathroom Toilet Saving Kit | Low Flush Displacement Bag Toilet Tummy & Leak Detecting Dye Tablets - Toilet Repair Kits - Amazon.com. And
LASCO 08-2483 Plastic Thread on Shower Head Restrictor - - Amazon.com. You will spend about 15 minutes all in on this project.

Last edited by Toymeister; 05-12-2018 at 02:42 PM.
Old 05-12-2018, 02:01 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toymeister View Post
Not really useful.
Look, if you want to save water you can safely eliminate the tip to install a cistern in the linked page and instead install toilet bags and replace your 21/2 gallons flow restrictor with a two gallon one. You will easily save 600 - 800 gallons a month Home Water Bathroom Toilet Saving Kit | Low Flush Displacement Bag Toilet Tummy & Leak Detecting Dye Tablets - Toilet Repair Kits - Amazon.com. And
LASCO 08-2483 Plastic Thread on Shower Head Restrictor - - Amazon.com. You will spend about 15 minutes all in on this project.
true story,
My dad told me he was at my Uncle Eddy's and noticed after he flushed it took extra long to fill the tank. He asked Uncle Eddy if something was wrong and my Uncle said no, he just slowed down the water flow to save water.

Last edited by tomwed; 05-12-2018 at 02:14 PM.
Old 05-13-2018, 06:18 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
true story,
My dad told me he was at my Uncle Eddy's and noticed after he flushed it took extra long to fill the tank. He asked Uncle Eddy if something was wrong and my Uncle said no, he just slowed down the water flow to save water.
Back in the day we would add a couple of bricks to the water tank.
Old 05-13-2018, 06:25 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Kid View Post
Back in the day we would add a couple of bricks to the water tank.
A lot of people don't know that the Kohler toilets being installed in the newer homes have a 2 way flush. If you press the handle down and immediately release it, you only use about a half gallon of water. But, if you hold the handle down for a few seconds, you use about 2 gallons of water. I think the builder should do a better job of educating home buyers about this feature.
Old 05-13-2018, 06:42 AM
Veteran member

Pee when in the shower, or outside on your plants, and bag up your poo and dump it in the dog park bins. Eliminates all flushing saves gallons!!
Old 05-13-2018, 08:01 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
A lot of people don't know that the Kohler toilets being installed in the newer homes have a 2 way flush. If you press the handle down and immediately release it, you only use about a half gallon of water. But, if you hold the handle down for a few seconds, you use about 2 gallons of water. I think the builder should do a better job of educating home buyers about this feature.
Please cite what model Kohler this is. I'm not familiar with a model where you hold down the handle for more of a flush. Kohler makes dual lever toilets that accomplish this.
Old 05-13-2018, 08:45 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by photo1902 View Post
Please cite what model Kohler this is. I'm not familiar with a model where you hold down the handle for more of a flush. Kohler makes dual lever toilets that accomplish this.
I think the toilet model is K4407. It is equipped with a dual flush valve, Model 1131496. The Villages developer has been installing these flush valves in all of the new homes for at least 3 years. But, most people I have asked have no idea that their toilet has a dual flush valve and they don't know how to use it.
Old 05-18-2018, 09:54 AM
Platinum member

In a perfect world taxes on homestead properties should go down by 700 million. Government spending should not change due to the vote. In a perfect world.
Closed Thread

Tags
bills, reduce, utility, ways