BACKUP you entire Computer - OS and Applications and Data FREE

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread

Old 06-23-2018, 01:22 PM
TOTV SPONSOR

Default BACKUP you entire Computer - OS and Applications and Data FREE

I use this program weekly and it has saved my BUTT several times. It is free and creates A full image OF YOU DRIVE WHICH CAN BE RESTORED. Also make a recovery disk to boot if you are in really deep do do.

Macrium Software | Macrium Reflect Free

Visit my website for GREAT information about The Villages Florida www.LyleGant.com

Old 06-23-2018, 03:36 PM
Sage

Interesting, but the free versions does not backup files and folders, (no check mark), so this appears to be just an operating system backup???

I will need to do additional research on this, but thank you for the tip.
Old 06-24-2018, 07:30 AM

Of course ALL files are backuped on the Google Drive with the Chromebook. You never get a virus and you never have to wait for a download or update of the operating system. If the chromebook should fail or get broken or stolen, all you need to do is .... are you ready for this ... just buy a new one and sign in! That's it! You've lost nothing! Worried about your stolen chromebook? Don't, the files are encrypted!
Have a bunch of Excel spreadsheets and Word documents? Google Calc and Docs can read them and you can save them as Google files or keep them in their original form.
Storage a problem? You get 15Gig free with your Gmail Account and another 100gig is only $1.99/month.
Old 06-24-2018, 07:37 AM

make a restore point once a week
Old 06-24-2018, 09:32 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelJohnson View Post
Of course ALL files are backuped on the Google Drive with the Chromebook. You never get a virus and you never have to wait for a download or update of the operating system. If the chromebook should fail or get broken or stolen, all you need to do is .... are you ready for this ... just buy a new one and sign in! That's it! You've lost nothing! Worried about your stolen chromebook? Don't, the files are encrypted!
Have a bunch of Excel spreadsheets and Word documents? Google Calc and Docs can read them and you can save them as Google files or keep them in their original form.
Storage a problem? You get 15Gig free with your Gmail Account and another 100gig is only $1.99/month.
1. All your created online files are saved automatically. All your locally stored, sd card, usb.. are not. You must transfer them to online storage. On board storage is very limited. Also converted/transferred files have been known to be compressed online.
2. Viruses are OS specific. Chromebook is Linux based. But, you are vulnerable to online hacks, and web page exploits, while you are online. Won't protect you from redirects or any email scams. You can unknowingly send/forward an infected attachment or links.
3. Stolen Chromebook? If you previously just closed it, the thief upon just opening it will have access to all your stuff.
4. Google docs have trouble reading offline .docx files.
5. Operating system updates are guaranteed for only 5 years from manufacture date.
6. Has trouble working on offline files if unable to access the internet. Heve taken mine to the squares where internet access is uneven. Reading locally stored books, documents, movies proves problematic.

The Chromebook is a tremendous device. I have two. For basic computing usage, internet surfing, email, streaming content, it is a tremendous tool. (Although my $50.00 7" Amazon Fire does the those as well.) But it does have some warts. It is not a complete security solution to today's computing environment as many espouse.

Last edited by SFSkol; 06-24-2018 at 10:02 AM. Reason: spellin'
Closed Thread

Tags
deep, drive, free, make, restored