10 common American foods that are banned elsewhere

Closed Thread
Old 07-10-2013, 07:31 AM
Veteran member
Default 10 common American foods that are banned elsewhere

Thought this might help some people in the food choices they make.

10 Common US Foods That Are Banned in Other Countries

LW888
Old 07-10-2013, 08:13 AM
Sage

good post
Old 07-10-2013, 10:23 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Thanks for posting!
Old 07-10-2013, 10:31 AM
Sage

Wild vs. Farm Raised Salmon | What is healthier? | Is Farmed or Wild Salmon better?

Sea lice is a common (potentially fatal) problem for farmed salmon. Whenever this problem is detected, farms add pesticide (emamectin benzoate) to the feed.

Farmed fish are also fatter because they are "marine couch potatoes."

Too, having more fat means they likely store more toxins like PCBs. For more information on that, use the link above.
Old 07-10-2013, 11:34 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightworker888 View Post

LW888
On the link you provided, Mercola advertises whole Alaskan Sockeye Salmon Fillet for $96.00 but there's no mention of weight. It looks like it might weigh 2 or 3 pounds. $96. seems like a lot of money to pay when you don't know how much you'll get for the money.
Old 07-10-2013, 01:42 PM
Gold member
Location: Bought Tamarind Grove, Mercer Island Wa, previously NH,FLA,Hi,CT,CA,GA, Hubby from Hawaii

Quote:

LW888
OK no meat, no chicken, no salmon, no milk, no rolls. Then there is pestisides on the veggies. Why don't I just turn up my toes now.
Old 07-10-2013, 02:32 PM
Veteran member

Trudy, It doesn't say no meat or chicken or veggies,etc. it is that you need to opt for grassfed rather than grain fed beef, organic chicken and free range if possible and check the source of the veggies. There is a list of which fruits and veggies are sprayed most and which are ok without having to look for organic. I tend to choose organic for all as that saves me trying to remember. I do remember that apples and berries and cherries are the most sprayed of the fruit.

It does mean rethinking your shopping list and reading more labels, but overall, it hasn't increased the cost much as organic is becoming much more accessible.

We have also reduced/eliminated our grain and sugar consumption and eliminated wheat which has been much more of a challenge. But it has been a worthwhile shift health wise.

Here is the link to the list of what to buy organically.

Top Fruits and Veggies to Buy Organic | Gaiam Life

LW888
Old 07-10-2013, 03:38 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Trudy, It doesn't say no meat or chicken or veggies,etc. it is that you need to opt for grassfed rather than grain fed beef, organic chicken and free range if possible and check the source of the veggies. There is a list of which fruits and veggies are sprayed most and which are ok without having to look for organic. I tend to choose organic for all as that saves me trying to remember. I do remember that apples and berries and cherries are the most sprayed of the fruit.

It does mean rethinking your shopping list and reading more labels, but overall, it hasn't increased the cost much as organic is becoming much more accessible.

We have also reduced/eliminated our grain and sugar consumption and eliminated wheat which has been much more of a challenge. But it has been a worthwhile shift health wise.

Here is the link to the list of what to buy organically.

Top Fruits and Veggies to Buy Organic | Gaiam Life

LW888
lghtworker888: I may be wrong where published but I believe it was the WSJ that carried an article wherein the author stated their was absolutely no benefit from eating organic foods and hence it did not justify the increase prices.

I do not know if this information is true or untrue. I do not pass judgment on anyone nor do I take issue with anyone's personal dietary preferences. However, the continuing contradictions by experts leaves me confused and skeptical about any claims made for the type of foods we eat , how it is raised or grown, vitamins , supplements, etc.

If I took to heart all of what experts claim is good/bad I suspect I would die of starvation or dehydration. And since I am advanced in age I suspect that whatever I do for the remaining years isn't going to do any more harm than I already have up to this point in my life.
Old 07-10-2013, 03:44 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
...I do not know if this information is true or untrue. I do not pass judgment on anyone nor do I take issue with anyone's personal dietary preferences. However, the continuing contradictions by experts leaves me...skeptical about any claims made for the type of foods we eat...

If I took to heart all of what experts claim is good/bad I suspect I would die of starvation...
Pretty much sums up my feelings. :^)
Old 07-10-2013, 04:04 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach

Quote:
lghtworker888: I may be wrong where published but I believe it was the WSJ that carried an article wherein the author stated their was absolutely no benefit from eating organic foods and hence it did not justify the increase prices.

I do not know if this information is true or untrue. I do not pass judgment on anyone nor do I take issue with anyone's personal dietary preferences. However, the continuing contradictions by experts leaves me confused and skeptical about any claims made for the type of foods we eat , how it is raised or grown, vitamins , supplements, etc.

If I took to heart all of what experts claim is good/bad I suspect I would die of starvation or dehydration. And since I am advanced in age I suspect that whatever I do for the remaining years isn't going to do any more harm than I already have up to this point in my life.
I have said basically the same thing in the past rubi, but not nearly as well.
Old 07-10-2013, 04:08 PM
Veteran member

I guess that I don't feel good about knowingly adding more toxicity for my body to have to handle by ingesting sprays and additives etc. that we know are being added to our foods either through the feed or by spraying. I know that by choosing organic and grassfed beef and local free range chicken and wild caught fish, I can feel that at least I am fuelling myself with food that is easier on my body systems. I don't have to have all the tests to prove to me that local (doesn't travel as far) sources and non foodlot or farmed sources are better for health. But then everyone has to prioritize their time energy and resources in whatever way works for them. This works for us and has evolved over time.

BTW I choose local if I know that they don't spray. It doesn't have to be the USDA label. In fact I am leery of that label as there are so many old Monsanto persons on that board now.

Be well

LW888
Old 07-10-2013, 04:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:

That is how I look at it too.
Old 07-10-2013, 05:59 PM
Sage

Quote:

I like to participate in sports whenever I get the chance but I'm not a fan of professional sports. So, to me, whether it's football, basketball or baseball, all the teams are the same. I don't see any difference between one football team and another. If you've seen one, you've seen them all.

I suppose that's the way a lot of people feel about the food they eat. Hey! What's the big deal? Food is food; it's all the same. Find something you like, eat it and be done with it. But unlike sports teams, food, in the long run, can have an important effect on one's health, for better or worse.

As far as being advance in age, that is precisely when good nutrition counts most. As a general rule, our immune system gets weaker and weaker as we age. So we become more and more susceptable to diseases and viruses etc.. That might explain why supercentenarians often die of pneumonia.

Right about now someone will say that we have to die of something; we can't live forever. Yes, that's true, but my point is that most people want to enjoy good health for as long as possible. And the only way I know of to do that is to pay some attention and try to live a healthy lifestyle.

They did a study where they asked young people how long they wanted to live. I don't remember the exact results but it went something like this: Young people would say that they wanted to live to 70 or 75 because they thought it was very very old. But when they asked retired people how long they wanted to live, they would say 80 to 85. And people in their early eighties would say that they wanted to live to 90. Well, you see where this is going. No one ever reaches the point where they say they want to die now. They always want more time. (This assumes the person doesn't have some painful terminal disease.) And if they always want more time, I assume they would like it to be in good health.
Old 07-10-2013, 06:36 PM
Sage

Quote:

I do not know if this information is true or untrue.
I got so carried away on one train of thought I forgot to address the above concern. There is some truth to what you read in the WSJ. That's why I don't believe in spending a lot of extra money on organic fruits and vegetables. Most of the time I don't buy any. Although, I will stay away from certain things like strawberries, cherries, corn etc..

Some items like carrots contain natural pesticides put there by nature. So we'll get some of that whether we like it or not; but we can handle it. Here's what can happen with organically grown vegetables: Without pesticides, bugs might start to nibble and when they do, the plant responds by increasing the amount of its natural pesticides. It's amazing how a plant would know how to do that but that's what they found by testing different plants.

Last edited by Villages PL; 07-10-2013 at 07:25 PM.
Old 07-10-2013, 06:55 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages PL View Post
On the link you provided, Mercola advertises whole Alaskan Sockeye Salmon Fillet for $96.00 but there's no mention of weight. It looks like it might weigh 2 or 3 pounds. $96. seems like a lot of money to pay when you don't know how much you'll get for the money.
When you click on Alaskan Sockeye Salmon Fillet, it will give you a description. Last line says you will get at least 4.5 pounds of salmon.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.