VA Benefits from Agent Orange exposure

Closed Thread
Old 06-25-2012, 05:54 PM
Default VA Benefits from Agent Orange exposure

Dear Veterans,
Have any of you filed for or received disability related to Agent Orange exposure? I am just starting the process and would welcome any advice. I've had heart bypass with no previous health issues. I was told I would be elgible for benefits.
Old 06-25-2012, 08:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Sent you a pm
Old 06-26-2012, 04:42 AM
Veteran member
Send a message via MSN to Bryan

Contact the Veterans Service Officer in the Sumter Government Annex Building on CR 466A (near Wildwood). They will assist you in the process. Great folks to work with and very helpful. They have "been there, done that" and can show you how.
Old 06-26-2012, 07:08 AM
Veteran member
Send a message via ICQ to mikeandnancy1112 Send a message via AIM to mikeandnancy1112

All we can tell you is go through the paperwork even if it gets frustrating because it will be well worth it.
Old 06-26-2012, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Lester View Post
Dear Veterans,
Have any of you filed for or received disability related to Agent Orange exposure? I am just starting the process and would welcome any advice. I've had heart bypass with no previous health issues. I was told I would be elgible for benefits.
Hi,

Looks like we're in the same boat (U.S. Navy - forgive the pun). I also had triple bypass with no previous health issues. My Ex told me about applying for Agent Orange, but I haven't started process yet. I inquired at VA Clinic and they said I had to have my Discharge Papers (that I haven't seen in over 40 years). I had to request them on a government web site. It took several weeks, but they finally arrived. Guess I need to pursue this.
Old 06-26-2012, 03:12 PM
Gold member

I applied for mine in 1984 and finally got approved in 1997. Was worth the effort for if you can prove it was combat related and are retired from the military, CSRC makes up the difference between what VA takes out of your retirement check, so that you still up end with the same amount of retirement money, only that portion also is not taxable.
NRA Chief Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Home Protection Instructor
Retired Army Military Police Investigator - 20 years, 4 months, 13 days
Retired Deputy Sheriff/Corrections Officer
IDPA Safety Officer Instructor
All skill is in vain when an Angel weewees in the flintlock of your musket.
Old 06-26-2012, 03:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,178 Times in 834 Posts

From the VA website

"For the purposes of disability compensation, VA presumes that Veterans were exposed to Agent Orange or other herbicides if they served:
■In Vietnam anytime between January 9, 1962 and May 7, 1975 (includes brief visits ashore or service aboard a ship that operated on the inland waterways of Vietnam). Check VA's list of U.S. Navy and Coast Guard ships that operated in Vietnam.
■In or near the Korean demilitarized zone anytime between April 1, 1968 and August 31, 1971

These Veterans do NOT need to prove that they were exposed to Agent Orange or other herbicides to qualify for disability compensation for diseases related to Agent Orange exposure (also called "presumptive diseases")."

Ischemic heart disease is one of the presumptive diseases which is included in the Agent Orange act of 1991. This is based on The Institute of Medicine of the National Academy of Sciences concluded in its report "Veterans and Agent Orange: Update 2008" released July 24, 2009, that there is "suggestive but limited evidence that exposure to Agent Orange and other herbicides used during the Vietnam War is associated with an increased chance of developing ischemic heart disease."
Based on this suggestive but limited evidence, the VA covers any service personnel who may have been exposed no matter how briefly to Agent Orange. Ever having had a foot on the ground in Nam qualifies, as does having served on transport ships or aircraft. Good Luck
Old 03-22-2013, 07:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

I was wondering once you are approved does the amount compensation change from month to month....just starting process now...in other words can you go from 100 percent down to say 20percent after surgery has fixed the problem...advocate can not answer that question..any advise would be helpful
Old 03-22-2013, 08:51 AM
Default Agent Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
I was wondering once you are approved does the amount compensation change from month to month....just starting process now...in other words can you go from 100 percent down to say 20percent after surgery has fixed the problem...advocate can not answer that question..any advise would be helpful
Yes, my husband was at 60 % and now since the surgery- 5 bi-pass he went to 40%. They did tell him if he does get worse and ends up in the hospital, he would have to make another appointment at the va to review his case.
Good luck....
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.