7,000 animals?

Closed Thread
Old 03-25-2015, 05:22 PM
Sage
Default 7,000 animals?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2012 View Post
...Vegetarians and vegans have longer lifespans by 10 & 15 years respectfully...
Longer than what?

Again, if you had credibility it might mean something to me. (Read TVC below.)
Old 03-25-2015, 05:29 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVillageChicken View Post
I have eaten red meat all my life and at 70,
Good for you, so you must be getting near that 7,000 killed animal number
Old 03-25-2015, 05:38 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Old myth, look at primates, do they have large brains? they never eat meat.
Which primates do you think are as intelligent as humans?

(I assume that you are referring to gorillas etc. rather than certain bishops)
Old 03-25-2015, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Diehard vegans/vegetarians cannot accept the live and let live philosophy. They believe their life style choice is the only one and have zero tolerance for others. As seen in this message, when confronted with different views, they attempt to make others feel guilty and embarrassed.
I think the, there is room for all gods creatures....next to my mashed potatoes comment is the best possibly response to these fanatics.
Old 03-25-2015, 05:48 PM
Soaring Eagle member

With a better diet, many people might not need the advanced medicines that have been developed to treat symptoms. For example, statins are widely prescribed. There is a fundamental difference between drugs such as antibotics which treat a one time infection vs. statins which attempt to treat symptoms and must be taken for the rest of your life and have side effects. The evidence would suggest that a plant based diet will prevent a number of problems. Take a look at plant based diets. I agree they don't taste as good ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimpy View Post
This is true. We weren't designed to live this long so the human body wasn't designed to last this long. This is why knee and hip replacements are very common. Our joints just weren't designed to last twice what our life expectancy was.
Interesting to think about but since medicine has keep us alive so much longer than nature intended, then why did nature give us a brain good enough to develop advanced medicine to keep us alive this long?
Old 03-25-2015, 06:00 PM
Gold member

Quote:
A fact that evokes no emotion in me whatsoever.
Do you realize that vegan farts are destroying the ozone layer. Following your lead, I present this as fact without evidence.
Old 03-25-2015, 06:11 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Do you realize that vegan farts are destroying the ozone layer. Following your lead, I present this as fact without evidence.

Old 03-25-2015, 08:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

I bet this thread will be closed by morning! It has a familiar ring.
Old 03-25-2015, 09:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shcisamax View Post
What I found astounding is the amount of water it takes to bring an animal to slaughter. According to the article below, we need to seriously consider our future use of limited resources required to support meat production. Very interesting read.

Meat’s large water footprint: why raising livestock and poultry for meat is so resource-intensive | FoodTank.com
To what limited resource are you referring?
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 03-25-2015, 10:06 PM
Sage

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyatlast View Post

No further comment required.
Old 03-26-2015, 05:46 AM
Email Reported As Spam

A recent article in Wall Street Journal featured a history on the cultivating of chickens. Earlier man used chickens mainly as sacriface. However the article credited two woman from North Carolina as discovering the remarkable overall low cost of mass production in the early 1900's and then men caught on and the industry flourished.

A factoid that caught my eye was that chicken consumption was more than the cow, pig and sheep consumption combined. Again goat meat is the most consumed meat in the world. Hence creating the phrase "taste like chicken"
Old 03-26-2015, 05:55 AM
Veteran member

Aren't plants also living things? The Secret Life of Plants was published in 1973 and the theories of plant perception aren't new.

Are some animals more worthy of concern and protection than others? Is it okay to kill a cockroach? A snake? A rat?
Old 03-26-2015, 06:22 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by queasy27 View Post
Aren't plants also living things? The Secret Life of Plants was published in 1973 and the theories of plant perception aren't new.

Are some animals more worthy of concern and protection than others? Is it okay to kill a cockroach? A snake? A rat?
How do we get into these discussions? They sellin' tie die and head bands again?
Old 03-26-2015, 07:59 AM
Location: Living in the Villages after 26 years on the Upper Westside of Manhattan!

I have recently concluded myself that a plant-based diet is the best for me and for the planet. This is a personal decision and I appreciate Jimbo sharing his feelings about how he came to that decision. A really helpful discussion would be how we can have more healthful choices in the Villages. A vegetarian and an Indian restaurant would be nice. So would a Whole Foods. Short of that, more vegan (dairy free vegetarian choices) on every restaurant's menu would be helpful. I was excited to go to Orange Blossom yesterday because I heard they had a page of vegetarian choices on their menu, but unfortunately 95% of it was not vegan. In a community this large, surely we could accommodate more vegan options?
formerly of Manhattan and weekends on the Jersey Shore--now living the dream in Caroline!
Old 03-26-2015, 08:55 AM
Sage
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbg150 View Post
I have recently concluded myself that a plant-based diet is the best for me and for the planet.

A really helpful discussion would be how we can have more healthful choices in the Villages. A vegetarian and an Indian restaurant would be nice.
Agree,
We go to Bamboo Bistro, Las Tappas, Thai Ruby, Japanese Steak house ( sounds crazy to go to a steak house but they have many dishes to choose from) they have several dishes or they will make anyway you like.

Sweet Tomato, you can also get several items from most restaurants that will work out. Moes by Target

Ruby Tuesdays, Cody's, Outback all can whip up several choices.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.