7,000 animals?

Closed Thread
Old 03-26-2015, 09:02 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbg150 View Post
A vegetarian and an Indian restaurant would be nice.
Urban Curry in Spanish Springs was very nice, but short-lived as the demand for it was low. It tried changing to Urban Grill - offering more non-Indian dishes - but that just delayed the inevitable closing :-(

Fresh Market on 466 has a good selection of herbs, spices and whole foods.
Old 03-26-2015, 09:23 AM

I'm going for 10,000
Old 03-26-2015, 10:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbg150 View Post
I have recently concluded myself that a plant-based diet is the best for me and for the planet. This is a personal decision and I appreciate Jimbo sharing his feelings about how he came to that decision. A really helpful discussion would be how we can have more healthful choices in the Villages. A vegetarian and an Indian restaurant would be nice. So would a Whole Foods. Short of that, more vegan (dairy free vegetarian choices) on every restaurant's menu would be helpful. I was excited to go to Orange Blossom yesterday because I heard they had a page of vegetarian choices on their menu, but unfortunately 95% of it was not vegan. In a community this large, surely we could accommodate more vegan options?
You realize of course that if enough people were buying those sorts of things that businesses would sell them. Just because a small group want them or those people think they are more healthy and they think it is good for the planet do things just "happen." You have to have numbers of people to want them and would financially support them.
Old 03-26-2015, 01:30 PM
Email Reported As Spam

I have never been one for fad diets especially when you are aware that 8 new ones appear every year but there is one diet that cause m to pause. A young girl, Brook, in my office often stopped me to explain the latest diet she was testing. On this day she caught my attention because for three weeks she would eat nothing but wine, cheese and bread Now that excites me....well until dinner when steak with mushrooms sautee in a butter wine sauce is served up with a side dish of pasta a glass of wine and oh yes a salad to fill my veggie requirement....a salad that is eaten last the European way

Bon appetit
Old 03-26-2015, 01:35 PM
Email Reported As Spam

My birthday is on the horizon and I get to choose the menu I am planning on my wife making me chicken Kiev with rice and to fulfill my veggie requirement a medley of vegetables served with a white wine and of course my salad to be eaten the European way at the end of the meal
Old 03-26-2015, 02:34 PM
Sage

Sorry Jim, you are a good dude but there aren't enough statistics in the world, to convince me, to become a a vegan

I try to eat as little meat as possible but I can't give it up totally.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 03-26-2015, 02:47 PM
Sage

As of last year there were reported 16 million vegetarians in the US, half of those vegan.

So it's not everyone.

But the numbers are growing,
the point of my threads on this lifestyle (notice I didn't say diet) is simply to create awareness of options in food for your health.
Old 03-26-2015, 03:37 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2012 View Post
As of last year there were reported 16 million vegetarians in the US, half of those vegan.

So it's not everyone.

But the numbers are growing,
the point of my threads on this lifestyle (notice I didn't say diet) is simply to create awareness of options in food for your health.

And you thought a good way to start the dialogue was to try and put meat eaters on a guilt trip by reminding us how many animals we butcher? This thread has made me determined to become a more militant carnivore. As a matter of fact, I am joining PETA
Old 03-26-2015, 03:44 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2BNTV View Post
I try to eat as little meat as possible but I can't give it up totally.
Giving meat up altogether is a hard sell when many of the benefits can be gained by cutting back on portion sizes, having no meat some days and replacing meat with fish.

The number of "killings" cited by Jimbo may well be an underestimate:

"The average meat eating person eats 7,000 animals in their life time or 70 billion a year are killed for food"

If the average meat-eater lives for 70 years, then 7,000 animals in a lifetime is 100 per year. Multiply that by the number of humans - 7 billion - and up to 700 billion animals per year would be killed. Even allowing for not everyone being a meat-eater, you would have to kill, say, 500 billion per year.

Of course, there's a big difference between killing a sardine and slaughtering a cow...
Old 03-26-2015, 04:03 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVillageChicken View Post
And you thought a good way to start the dialogue was to try and put meat eaters on a guilt trip by reminding us how many animals we butcher? This thread has made me determined to become a more militant carnivore. As a matter of fact, I am joining PETA
they are looking for you chicken little, they have 12 likes, so only you and 11 others in the world. Don't worry in your case eat more meat the folks in ER will be waiting
Old 03-26-2015, 04:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2012 View Post
they are looking for you chicken little, they have 12 likes, so only you and 11 others in the world. Don't worry in your case eat more meat the folks in ER will be waiting
Most of us would never dream of trying to change anyone's diet. What people eat is their choice entirely.

I don't know why some folks are so militant about food choices..

Eat what you like. Live long and prosper. I have my own views as to what is healthy.
Old 03-26-2015, 04:20 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I have my own views as to what is healthy.
I hope red wine and dark chocolate top your list - they do mine :-)
Old 03-26-2015, 04:46 PM
Sage

agree to that
Old 03-26-2015, 04:56 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
Why is it that people who are primarily vegans obsess over other people's menu selections? Why don't they just live and let live? Why do they believe it is their religious duty to convert meatatarians

Why is it now that medical experts reversed their thinking concerning saturated fats, meat butter, etc, salt levels, coffee...............? leading to the latest the refrain of "a steak a day keeps the doctor away"?

Why is it that vegans never talk about the fact that meat is a very important source of nutrition and consumption of a little goes a longer way than a vegan diet and is especially essential to older people whose rate of absorption is compromised as they age?

What meat is the most consumed in the world? Goat meat and that has not even been mentioned in this thread.

Seniors biggest challenge is ensuring they are geting proper nutrition (period)
In U.S., 5% Consider Themselves Vegetarians

According to the above link, 5% of the population are vegetarians and only 2% are vegans. So why do people always feel so threatened by someone promoting vegetarianism or veganism? How bad can it be if the Seventh-day Adventists, on average, live ten years longer than the rest of the U.S. population?
Old 03-26-2015, 05:03 PM
Sage

you my want to research that a bit, not 2%.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.