7,000 animals?

Closed Thread
Old 03-26-2015, 05:29 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVillageChicken View Post
I have eaten red meat all my life and at 70, have zero prescriptions, and all my indicators are excellent, but unlike you, I realize that anecdotes don't advance argument. You know, the sad thing about cultural stereotypes is that they are better than 80% accurate, and the one about arrogant vegans is no different.
This isn't an anecdote: By age 65, the average person takes at least one medication. By age 75, the average person takes at least 3 medications, and 5 or more is not uncommon.

This information came from a USF Health lecture.

I'm a vegan, age 74, who needs no medication, according to my doctor. All my tests have been within normal range.

If you can eat meat and be healthy, good for you! But Seventh-day Adventists, who are vegetarians, live 10 years longer on average than the rest of the U.S. population. And that's not an anecdote!
Old 03-26-2015, 05:36 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kannon451 View Post
Diehard vegans/vegetarians cannot accept the live and let live philosophy. They believe their life style choice is the only one and have zero tolerance for others. As seen in this message, when confronted with different views, they attempt to make others feel guilty and embarrassed.
I think the, there is room for all gods creatures....next to my mashed potatoes comment is the best possibly response to these fanatics.
When meat eaters don't have a good argument they always resort to name calling (fanatics). And talk about the "live and let live" philosophy, meat eaters get defensive over a little competition - 5% of the population.
Old 03-26-2015, 05:43 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages PL View Post
This isn't an anecdote: By age 65, the average person takes at least one medication. By age 75, the average person takes at least 3 medications, and 5 or more is not uncommon.

This information came from a USF Health lecture.

I'm a vegan, age 74, who needs no medication, according to my doctor. All my tests have been within normal range.

If you can eat meat and be healthy, good for you! But Seventh-day Adventists, who are vegetarians, live 10 years longer on average than the rest of the U.S. population. And that's not an anecdote!
You are cherry picking statistics and assigning correlations. That ten years of extra longevity is exactly the same difference between smokers and non-smokers. Seventh Day Adventists are non-smokers.
Old 03-26-2015, 05:55 PM
Soaring Eagle member

They also don't drink or use illegal drugs. I think it is probably safe to say that they live a healthier lifestyle and this results in longevity. Trying to separate out which part of the liefstyle contributes the most could be difficult.

Quote:
You are cherry picking statistics and assigning correlations. That ten years of extra longevity is exactly the same difference between smokers and non-smokers. Seventh Day Adventists are non-smokers.
Old 03-26-2015, 05:59 PM
Sage

Quote:
You are cherry picking statistics. That ten years of extra longevity is exactly the same difference between smokers and non-smokers. Seventh Day Adventists are non-smokers.
Wrong, scientific studies usually adjust for things like smoking.

Anyway, only one out of 5 smoke in the general population, so how would that account for the whole 10 year difference, as you claim?
Old 03-26-2015, 06:01 PM
Sage

Quote:
In U.S., 5% Consider Themselves Vegetarians According to the above link, 5% of the population are vegetarians and only 2% are vegans. So why do people always feel so threatened by someone promoting vegetarianism or veganism? How bad can it be if the Seventh-day Adventists, on average, live ten years longer than the rest of the U.S. population?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2012 View Post
you my want to research that a bit, not 2%.
You Vegans better get together and get your statistics straight!

Quote:
When meat eaters don't have a good argument they always resort to name calling (fanatics). And talk about the "live and let live" philosophy, meat eaters get defensive over a little competition - 5% of the population.
Villages PL, I remember a post you made about eating a can of salmon.

Also, if meat eaters are being defensive, I think it's because of the confrontational tone set in the OP's first post: "7,000 animals are being slaughtered because of one meat eater". Perhaps a gentler approach might garner more interest and support.
Old 03-26-2015, 06:03 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuccillo View Post
They also don't drink or use illegal drugs. I think it is probably safe to say that they live a healthier lifestyle and this results in longevity. Trying to separate out which part of the liefstyle contributes the most could be difficult.
No doubt it is difficult (at least it would be for most of us) but I have read accounts of studies in the Daily Sun where they say they have made adjustments for smoking etc.
Old 03-26-2015, 06:03 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuccillo View Post
Winner.
Old 03-26-2015, 06:08 PM
Sage
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post

Also, if meat eaters are being defensive, I think it's because of the confrontational tone set in the OP's first post: "7,000 animals are being slaughtered because of one meat eater". Perhaps a gentler approach might garner more interest and support.
No confrontational tone at all, I only restated a fact.
Most folks never realized the numbers of animals, so now they are aware of a fact.

Garner more interest, really in 24 hours 1300 readers.

Support, not looking for support at all. Eat what you wish your health will vary.

Old 03-26-2015, 06:18 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2012 View Post
No confrontational tone at all, I only restated a fact.
Most folks never realized the numbers of animals, so now they are aware of a fact.

Garner more interest, really in 24 hours 1300 readers.

Support, not looking for support at all. Eat what you wish your health will vary.

Don't get too excited, the vast majority of those visits are from webcrawlers or bots.
Old 03-26-2015, 06:27 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
You Vegans better get together and get your statistics straight!
I could be wrong about the 2%. I don't think every vegan is registered as a vegan. I just did a quick search and thought it was a reliable source.

Quote:
Villages PL, I remember a post you made about eating a can of salmon.
Is that the way you remembered it? I ate a whole can at once? At the time I was dividing up a 15 ounce can to make about 12 servings and I would put them in the freezer. But I don't eat salmon on a regular basis. I'm a vegan on most days when I don't have any.

Quote:
Also, if meat eaters are being defensive, I think it's because of the confrontational tone set in the OP's first post: "7,000 animals are being slaughtered because of one meat eater". Perhaps a gentler approach might garner more interest and support.[/SIZE]
Was it the word "slaughtered" that bothered you? I don't think that's being confrontational; it's just a fact. Slaughtered is the word they use in the meat industry. How would you have conveyed the information without using the word "slaughtered"?

Last edited by Villages PL; 03-28-2015 at 11:11 AM.
Old 03-26-2015, 08:20 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Was it the word "slaughtered" that bothered you? I don't think that's being confrontational; it's just a fact. Slaughtered is the word they use in the meat industry. How would you have conveyed the information without using the word "slaughtered"?
"Slaughtered" is also a word that doesn't even appear in the original post.
The offensive word is the all caps YOU in the post. I am also offended by the implication that I eat sheep.
Old 03-26-2015, 08:28 PM
Soaring Eagle member

OK, I will buy that. If the research was published in a peer reviewed journal then the statistical methodology was reviewed. The key here is a professional, peer reviewed journal.

Quote:
No doubt it is difficult (at least it would be for most of us) but I have read accounts of studies in the Daily Sun where they say they have made adjustments for smoking etc.
Old 03-26-2015, 08:31 PM
Soaring Eagle member

The original numbers would indicate 2.5% (16M and half are vegans out of 312M) . This is sort of silly since it was a survey - who cares about 0.5%.

Quote:
I could be wrong about the 2%. I don't think every vegan is registered as a vegan. I just did a quick search and thought it was a reliable source.

Is that the way you remembered it? I ate a whole can at once? At the time I was dividing up a 15 ounce can to make about 10 servings and I would put them in the freezer. But I don't eat salmon on a regular basis. I'm a vegan on the days when I don't have any.

Old 03-26-2015, 09:01 PM
Sage

Quote:
snipped ...... I don't eat salmon on a regular basis. I'm a vegan on the days when I don't have any.
I honestly didn't realize you could be a part-time Vegan.
Then I'm a Vegan too!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.