AARP Medigap Coverage

Closed Thread
Old 11-05-2017, 02:09 PM
Default AARP Medigap Coverage

Has anyone had an experience with AARP United Healthcare signing up for one price then finding out the premiums will increase about $7 per month every year for 10 years. They explained that the premium quoted was a discounted premium and after 10 years your rate would be the "normal" rate, about $70 per month more. UHC supposedly uses Age at Issuance rates and are not suppose to increase as you get older.
Old 11-05-2017, 02:17 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,620 Times in 1,764 Posts

I am 75 and signed up at age 65 for the AARP - UHC Medigap package. The first three years I received a discount. Since then I have paid the going rate which has risen a few times. It has been excellent coverage in my experience although I have not had to undergo much expensive or any extensive care.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 11-05-2017, 03:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
I am 75 and signed up at age 65 for the AARP - UHC Medigap package. The first three years I received a discount. Since then I have paid the going rate which has risen a few times. It has been excellent coverage in my experience although I have not had to undergo much expensive or any extensive care.
We have had AARP medigap/UHC for 15 years. The coverage is excellent. The price has gone up every year since.
That is not unique to the AARP/UHC policy. Any medical coverage premiums that have gone down are unusual and few and far between.

Any medical premiums will continue to go up for our foreseeable futures.

We have not had to reach in our pocket for any medical attention over the years, including major surgeries and cancer treatments.
Old 11-05-2017, 07:56 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim45tn View Post
Has anyone had an experience with AARP United Healthcare signing up for one price then finding out the premiums will increase about $7 per month every year for 10 years. They explained that the premium quoted was a discounted premium and after 10 years your rate would be the "normal" rate, about $70 per month more. UHC supposedly uses Age at Issuance rates and are not suppose to increase as you get older.
No, my wife and I have not experienced that at all.

Neither the OP or any responders have indicated which plan they have.

We have the AARP Supplement Plan F from UnitedHealthcare.
2014 to 2015: went up $2/month
2015 to 2016: no change
2016 to 2017: no change
Current rate: $175.47/month

Your mileage may vary - and probably does!
Closed Thread

Tags
rate, month, increase, years, premium

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.