Acrylic sof IQ pan optics lens for cataract Surgery

Closed Thread
Old 01-17-2020, 12:34 PM
Default Acrylic sof IQ pan optics lens for cataract Surgery

I need Cataract Surgery Has anyone had this lens for Cataract Surgery? This is the Premium lens. Ever need glasses again.I have been reading reviews and there seems to be some people have a problem with seeing halos at night. Thank you for you help.
Old 01-17-2020, 09:19 PM
KittyKat
Angry

Yes, I had the ACRY Sof IQ ReSTOR IOL lens inserted in 2012 & 2016 by Dr Scott Wehrly at their outpatient surgery center in the Santa Fe Plaza on 466. . Paid $1000 for the lens at the time of each surgery then he charges an extra $1000 each time for this type surgery. They had a poster in their waiting room where you go after the dilating drops are inserted and it showed how you could have crystal clear distance & intermediate vision but might have to wear reading glasses. I asked Dr Wehrly several times if he could guarantee the intermediate vision as I was having to use glasses when reading plus an intermediate pair when I shopped since I have to use a mobility cart. He assured me I would, although they always tell you nothing is 100%. Well, I wasted my money. I have fairly good distance vision although I wouldn't say it is great. I still need the intermediate & reading glasses. However, I can't read books anymore. The left to right back & forth motion is weird so I can not read. Magazines & emails are OK. I had halos at first but don't notice them anymore. He was very surprised that I didn't like the IOLs, said his patients liked them. I was only 59 when I had mine done & most people are older & have really bad cataracts so ANY improvement in vision is good for them. I was mad because I thought this should have been reported to the sales rep & I think I should have gotten some money back.
Old 01-17-2020, 11:05 PM
Veteran member

I had cataract surgery on both eyes 6 years ago (when I was 62). My vision wasn't that bad at the time but I knew it was only going to get worse, so I figured why wait. I got multifocal lenses. I don't know if they are the brand you mentioned but the idea is the same -- they allow you to see near and far so you most likely won't need glasses after the procedure.

I can now see near and far without glasses. I can read and drive. The only time I use a pair of cheaters (Dollar Tree reading glasses) is when I play Mahjongg. With multifocal lenses you have a certain field of vision in which you can see very well. When reading something outside that field (i.e. the discarded tiles in the middle of the table) I can tell what they are but they aren't quite as clear as I would like. The cheaters take care of that problem. Otherwise, I do not ever feel that I should be wearing glasses. I can see very well.

My surgeon did warn me that I would see halos around lights at night. Since I seldom drive at night, this is not a problem for me at all. (The halos are not limited to car headlights. I see them around lights in the house but I really don't notice them anymore.)

I love not wearing glasses but these lenses were expensive. Insurance generally pays for the cost of the "standard" lens and I had to pay the difference for the cost of the lenses. The surgeon and outpatient facility also charged more for the procedures because it is more complicated. Altogether, it probably cost me $6,000 out of pocket. (I was told by the dr's office it would be about half that.) Considering what I was spending every couple of years for blended bifocals, I figure it was money well spent. If you don't mind having to wear glasses to either read or drive, maybe you would disagree.

Good luck with your decision.

kathy
Closed Thread

Tags
surgery, lens, cataract, people, halos

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.