Active surveillance

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors




















» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 11-15-2019, 03:57 AM
tcxr750 tcxr750 is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Cleveland Suburb
Posts: 499
Thanks: 1
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Default Active surveillance

I’d be interested in what the experience has been for others who have been diagnosed with prostate cancer and are under active surveillance.
My experience has been PSA every six months and prostate biopsy every two years. Initially I had 5% of one core with a Gleason of 3+3. Thirty six core samples later the next step is Multi Parametric MRI. My thinking was that an MRI reduced the number of core samples by better targeting. My current Urologist says he does twenty guided by the MRI.
Does the Urologist keep doing biopsies over time until the prostate looks like Swiss cheese or he finds cancer and decide on a treatment plan?
  #2  
Old 11-15-2019, 05:01 AM
Biker Dog's Avatar
Biker Dog Biker Dog is offline
Veteran member
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Reading, Pa, The Villages, Reading, Pa, The Villages until the end.
Posts: 784
Thanks: 0
Thanked 20 Times in 12 Posts
Default

The head doctor at Moffitt told me to never have more than one biopsy if cancer snowed in the first one.
  #3  
Old 11-15-2019, 06:21 AM
l2ridehd's Avatar
l2ridehd l2ridehd is offline
Sage
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bridgeport At Miona Shores
Posts: 3,522
Thanks: 1
Thanked 181 Times in 61 Posts
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd
Default

Was with active surveillance for 5 years and than was told I needed to take action. My doctor wanted to do robotic surgery. I did a ton of research, read about 20 books and 100's of medical white papers that a family member got access for me, and than did the John's Hopkins one day evaluation and recommendation process. They have a team approach with a surgeon, a radiation oncologist, a medical oncologist, and a prostate cancer specialist spend a day reviewing all the information, doing tests and than they meet as a team with you to discuss options. They take 6 folks every other Friday to do this. I had a PSA of 8.4 and a gleason 8 in one core with a 7 in a second core.

After all this information I decided against surgery and went with Proton radiation at UF Proton Therapy Institute in Jacksonville. That is the closest available cyclotron which is required for proton radiation. Photon radiation is available locally here in The Villages. There is a huge difference between Proton and Photon radiation and you really need to understand that difference before making a decision. The collateral damage done by Proton radiation is significantly less than with Photon radiation.

Today I am cancer free, PSA <0.1 which means they can't measure it, and zero side effects. There are usually really bad side effects with other treatments which include things like ED, incontinence, and bowel and bladder issues. If you need treatment, I would be happy to discuss my treatments and why I chose to go the route I did with you. Or anyone else who is facing this decision. Just send me a PM with your contact information.
__________________
Life is to short to drink cheap wine.
  #4  
Old 11-16-2019, 08:27 AM
lanabanana73's Avatar
lanabanana73 lanabanana73 is offline
Veteran member
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Windsor, VT
Posts: 686
Thanks: 0
Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2ridehd View Post
Was with active surveillance for 5 years and than was told I needed to take action. My doctor wanted to do robotic surgery. I did a ton of research, read about 20 books and 100's of medical white papers that a family member got access for me, and than did the John's Hopkins one day evaluation and recommendation process. They have a team approach with a surgeon, a radiation oncologist, a medical oncologist, and a prostate cancer specialist spend a day reviewing all the information, doing tests and than they meet as a team with you to discuss options. They take 6 folks every other Friday to do this. I had a PSA of 8.4 and a gleason 8 in one core with a 7 in a second core.

After all this information I decided against surgery and went with Proton radiation at UF Proton Therapy Institute in Jacksonville. That is the closest available cyclotron which is required for proton radiation. Photon radiation is available locally here in The Villages. There is a huge difference between Proton and Photon radiation and you really need to understand that difference before making a decision. The collateral damage done by Proton radiation is significantly less than with Photon radiation.

Today I am cancer free, PSA <0.1 which means they can't measure it, and zero side effects. There are usually really bad side effects with other treatments which include things like ED, incontinence, and bowel and bladder issues. If you need treatment, I would be happy to discuss my treatments and why I chose to go the route I did with you. Or anyone else who is facing this decision. Just send me a PM with your contact information.
PM'd you!
__________________
Alanna from Vermont

Drank the Kool-Aid and now own a home in Tamarind Grove. Yippee!!
  #5  
Old 11-16-2019, 09:15 AM
retiredguy123 retiredguy123 is online now
Sage
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 5,127
Thanks: 399
Thanked 3,131 Times in 1,157 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2ridehd View Post
Was with active surveillance for 5 years and than was told I needed to take action. My doctor wanted to do robotic surgery. I did a ton of research, read about 20 books and 100's of medical white papers that a family member got access for me, and than did the John's Hopkins one day evaluation and recommendation process. They have a team approach with a surgeon, a radiation oncologist, a medical oncologist, and a prostate cancer specialist spend a day reviewing all the information, doing tests and than they meet as a team with you to discuss options. They take 6 folks every other Friday to do this. I had a PSA of 8.4 and a gleason 8 in one core with a 7 in a second core.

After all this information I decided against surgery and went with Proton radiation at UF Proton Therapy Institute in Jacksonville. That is the closest available cyclotron which is required for proton radiation. Photon radiation is available locally here in The Villages. There is a huge difference between Proton and Photon radiation and you really need to understand that difference before making a decision. The collateral damage done by Proton radiation is significantly less than with Photon radiation.

Today I am cancer free, PSA <0.1 which means they can't measure it, and zero side effects. There are usually really bad side effects with other treatments which include things like ED, incontinence, and bowel and bladder issues. If you need treatment, I would be happy to discuss my treatments and why I chose to go the route I did with you. Or anyone else who is facing this decision. Just send me a PM with your contact information.
I think they now have the proton treatment in Orlando.
  #6  
Old 11-16-2019, 12:39 PM
bob47 bob47 is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Santiago
Posts: 255
Thanks: 114
Thanked 106 Times in 29 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker Dog View Post
The head doctor at Moffitt told me to never have more than one biopsy if cancer snowed in the first one.
Can you clarify this a little more? Thanks.
  #7  
Old 11-16-2019, 01:45 PM
l2ridehd's Avatar
l2ridehd l2ridehd is offline
Sage
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bridgeport At Miona Shores
Posts: 3,522
Thanks: 1
Thanked 181 Times in 61 Posts
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I think they now have the proton treatment in Orlando.
They do. But because they treat a broad range of cancers, when I checked with them they had only handled under 40 prostate cancer patients. At Jacksonville they have treated over 5000. Perhaps sometime down the road they may work out well for folks, but at the time I needed treatment I felt Jacksonville was a much better option.
__________________
Life is to short to drink cheap wine.
Closed Thread

Tags
core, mri, prostate, cancer, urologist

Thread Tools

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:49 AM.