Advice From a Vegan Cardiologist

Closed Thread
Old 08-11-2014, 10:11 PM
Sage
Default Advice From a Vegan Cardiologist

Dr. Kim A. Williams, the president-elect of the American College of Cardiology, often sees patients who are overweight and struggling with hypertension, Type 2 diabetes and high cholesterol. One of the things he advises them to do is to change their diets.

Specifically, he tells them to go vegan.

Dr. Williams became a vegan in 2003 because he was concerned that his LDL cholesterol the kind associated with an increased risk of heart disease was too high. Dr. Williams wrote about his reasons for going vegan and his belief in the cardiovascular benefits of a plant-based diet in a recent essay at MedPage Today.

Veganism has grown in popularity in recent years, reflected by the explosion of meat-free cookbooks and restaurants, and vegan-friendly products in grocery stores. But the endorsement by the man who is set to become the president of one of the countrys leading cardiology associations, which helps formulate health policies and guidelines, did not strike a totally positive chord.

I didnt know it would create such a firestorm of everything from accolades to protests, said Dr. Williams, who is also the chairman of cardiology at Rush University Medical Center in Chicago. The response was really loud, and much of it diametrically opposed.

One person suggested he was promoting a radical diet to his patients based on the experience of a single person: himself. Others accused him of trying to get the college of cardiology to encourage everyone to go vegan, which he dismissed. And some critics suggested that Dr. Williams and the college were unduly influenced by industry, which baffled him.

Who is the industry that promotes vegan dieting? he asked. Maybe the people who publish books on it. But that wouldnt be considered industry, I dont think.

Dr. Williams said that his switch to veganism was prompted by a routine blood test about 10 years ago.

The test showed that his LDL cholesterol, which had been 110 a couple years earlier, had climbed to 170. Dr. Williams, who was about 49 at the time, said he assumed that age and physical activity had played a role; his once frequent levels of exercise had fallen, and cholesterol tends to rise as people get older. But he also suspected that his diet was not as healthy as he had thought.

I was basically eating chicken and fish, no skin, no fried food and no red meat, he said. I thought it was healthy. But it was low fat instead of low cholesterol, which is what I needed.

Researchers have long known that the relationship between the dietary cholesterol found in food and the cholesterol that circulates in the blood is complicated, varying greatly from one person to the next. In many people, the cholesterol in food has only a minor or negligible effect on blood cholesterol levels. But in some people, the effect can be more pronounced, which Dr. Williams said was probably the case with him.

He eliminated cholesterol from his diet by avoiding dairy and animal protein to see if there would be any effect. Instead of eating chicken and fish, he started eating vegetable-based meat substitutes like veggie burgers and sausages made from soy and other plant proteins and nuts. He also switched to almond milk from cows milk.

Six weeks later, his LDL had fallen to 90.

It seems that the response to dietary cholesterol and other changes in diet are all genetically determined and quite variable, he said. One person might go from 170 to 150 by going to a plant-based diet. Another person might go from 170 to 90.

Although LDL plays a role in heart disease, it is not the only factor. The plaque that accumulates in arteries consists not only of cholesterol, but immune cells that invade the artery walls as a result of chronic inflammation. Some researchers argue that this inflammation is the underlying problem in coronary artery disease. But Dr. Williams says he believes that being vegan can lower inflammation, too.

He said his enthusiasm for plant-based diets was based on his interpretation of medical literature. He cited observational studies of tens of thousands of members of the Seventh-day Adventist Church that found that people following vegetarian diets lived longer than meat eaters and had lower rates of death from heart disease, diabetes and kidney problems. And he pointed to research carried out by Dr. Dean Ornish, who found that patients who were put on a program that included a vegetarian diet had less coronary plaque and fewer cardiac events.

I recommend a plant-based diet because I know its going to lower their blood pressure, improve their insulin sensitivity and decrease their cholesterol, he said. And so I recommend it in all those conditions. Some patients are able to do it, and some are not.
Old 08-11-2014, 10:17 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

My father lived until 94. He wanted to die from the day my mother passed away 5 years prior. He ate bacon and eggs as well as red meat every day of his life. No fish, very little chicken. He loved salads and nuts. We humans are omnivores.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 08-12-2014, 06:33 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

There are cardiologists who say that cholesterol is not responsible for heart disease at all. The primary culprit is inflammation which is caused by too much sugar in system which is caused by the over consumption of carbohydrates.

Cholesterol is an important hormone for brain function. Lowering it often results in early onset dementia and Alzheimers disease.

Dr Williams last statement in this post is also very important. Even Dr Dean Ornish has admitted that it is extremely difficult for most people to stay on this very unnatural way of eating. Some take to it, but most have a of of difficult staying with it. I believe that it is because the human body, especially the brain, craves and needs saturated fat. When you begin starving the brain of essential nutrients, it begins to tell you what it needs in the form of cravings.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 08-12-2014, 06:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

For more information on cholesterol read "The Great Cholesterol Myth" - why lowering your cholesterol won't prevent heart disease and the statin free plan that will.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 08-12-2014, 07:34 AM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
There are cardiologists who say that cholesterol is not responsible for heart disease at all. The primary culprit is inflammation which is caused by too much sugar in system which is caused by the over consumption of carbohydrates.

Cholesterol is an important hormone for brain function. Lowering it often results in early onset dementia and Alzheimers disease.

Dr Williams last statement in this post is also very important. Even Dr Dean Ornish has admitted that it is extremely difficult for most people to stay on this very unnatural way of eating. Some take to it, but most have a of of difficult staying with it. I believe that it is because the human body, especially the brain, craves and needs saturated fat. When you begin starving the brain of essential nutrients, it begins to tell you what it needs in the form of cravings.
Bravo! In fact experts have reverse their opinion and explain that the studies on trans fats were flawed and that it was widely known for years. today you will find some say that a "steak a day keeps the doctor away

Take butter and marigine leave them outside in the heat and watch what is left? Ugh

I love vegetables. I love meat. I love grains and I love legumes. I love them in moderation along with exercise.

What I don't like are the food police from the public and private sector interfering with my choices
Old 08-12-2014, 07:37 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Researchers have long known that the relationship between the dietary cholesterol found in food and the cholesterol that circulates in the blood is complicated, varying greatly from one person to the next.
This has always been the sticking point for me. What is "right" for Person A may be very wrong for Person Z, doing the exactly same thing.

Last edited by Halibut; 08-12-2014 at 12:51 PM.
Old 08-12-2014, 09:44 AM
Sage

Quote:

I agree!!! There are two more doctors to add to this list...Dr. William Davis (Wheat Belly) and Dr. David Perlmutter (Grain Brain), both authors of these books and both practicing physicians. I learned so much from these men. Dr. Davis is a preventative cardiologist and Dr. Perlmutter is a neurologist. Both will say our brains need "good" fat, ie. olive oil, coconut oil and butter. It's the fats from grains that are bad for us....spikes our glycemic levels and more.
Old 08-12-2014, 10:57 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

My father who lived to be 90, rest his soul, ate meat and lots of vegetables and fruits that he himself grew until he died. He also loved his beer. He was cutting his grass up until the week before he died. Never was overweight.
Old 08-12-2014, 12:54 PM
Sage

Quote:
The primary culprit is inflammation which is caused by too much sugar in system which is caused by the over consumption of carbohydrates.

Correct about inflammation of the endothelium lining of our blood vessels, but it's not from sugar if you research a bit,

It's from oil, yes oil. any kind of oil.

Oil is an irritant, our bodies response is to cover the inflammation with plaque, but plaque begets more plaque, thereafter clogged arteries.

Just Google it.

Now this affects the majority of us there are exceptions, but if you not the exception you may be looking at the wrong side of those fairways.
Old 08-12-2014, 08:32 PM
Sage

Quote:
Theres no connection whatsoever between the cholesterol in food and cholesterol in the blood. And weve known that all along. Cholesterol in the diet doesnt matter at all unless you happen to be a chicken or a rabbit.
Ancel Keyes
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 08-12-2014, 08:40 PM
Sage

Quote:
Ancel Keyes
Monsieur Cholesterol.
Old 08-12-2014, 09:00 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2012 View Post
Correct about inflammation of the endothelium lining of our blood vessels, but it's not from sugar if you research a bit,

It's from oil, yes oil. any kind of oil.

Oil is an irritant, our bodies response is to cover the inflammation with plaque, but plaque begets more plaque, thereafter clogged arteries.

Just Google it.

Now this affects the majority of us there are exceptions, but if you not the exception you may be looking at the wrong side of those fairways.
There are very few doctors that disagree with the fact that fish oil lowers triglycerides and cholesterol.

Old 08-12-2014, 09:22 PM
Sage

old school thinking, it still inflames the endothelium lining of the arteries, increasing plaque buildup.

any type of oil does this

"Fish oil is not essential. Fish get their omega 3 from plants. It is difficult to be deficient in Omega 3 if eating 1-2 tablespoons of flax seed meal or chia seeds and green leafy vegetables at several meals. There is also research that suggests that those on plant based nutrition become highly efficient in their own manufacture of omega 3. Patients on fish oil are also at increased risk for bleeding, and studies now indicate they are of no benefit for heart disease patients.

Flax Seed Oil/ Flax Seed Meal - What about flax seed oil?
Flax seed meal is well tolerated and supplies a bonus of omega 3 using 1 or 2 tablespoons on cereal daily. Avoid flax seed oil.

Olive oil, canola oil, coconut oil, Sunflower oil, soybean oil, peanut oil, any oil -
Which oil is best?
Avoid oils. They injure the endothelium, the innermost lining of the artery, and that injury is the gateway to vascular disease. All oil is also empty calories
"
Dr Esselstyn

Eliminating oil from your diet will lower BP within a month in most folks, which can lead to lower levels of BP medicine or not needing any in the future.

Old 08-16-2014, 02:40 PM
Sage

Quote:
There are cardiologists who say that cholesterol is not responsible for heart disease at all. The primary culprit is inflammation....
Yes, but the best diet to reduce inflammation is also the best diet to reduce cholesterol. So if you reduce one, you will likely reduce the other.

Quote:
The primary culprit is inflammation which is caused by too much sugar in system which is caused by the over consumption of carbohydrates.
I agree with the above statement up to a point; where I disagree is with the lack of specifics. I think it's important to specify refined carbohydrates. For example, if a person eats one serving of steel-cut oats for breakfast, this should not cause high blood sugar.

Quote:
If the brain needs more cholesterol to carry out normal functions, the liver will manufacture all that is needed.

Quote:
I believe that may be a popular myth that a person will crave saturated fat because his body and brain needs it. First of all, the requirement for saturated fat is low. If you eat some nuts, seeds, avocados etc., as part of a healthy diet, you will likely get most of what you need. If, by chance, you don't get enough from your diet, your liver will manufacture the rest of what you need.

As far as the diet being difficult to follow, yes, for some people it will be difficult. But I believe it's only because taste buds become accustomed to the tastier and fattier processed foods. It just requires retraining.

I'm learning to play the piano and some days it just seems to difficult. Should I stop trying? No! Practice makes perfect.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.