AED Defibrillator

Closed Thread
Old 02-08-2011, 05:53 PM
Platinum member
Default AED Defibrillator

Some of the villages are talking a bout getting their own AED Defibrillator. http://www.americanheart.org/present...tifier=3011859

Has anyone had any experience with these? I keep thinking that if a person in your home has a heart attack, one would call 911 and then do chest compressions or cpr. At what point would a person have time to go and get the defibrillator, or call someone to bring one over. Seems I would be busy with chest compressions.l

Interested in any comments.
Tampa, FL
Old 02-08-2011, 06:15 PM
Sage

All the people on our street donated funds to purchase two AEDs. They were installed on two houses, one is on my house, and a number of people who live on the street, took a course in CPR and the use of an AED at the fire station. Chief Gail Lazenby of The Villages Public Safety Dept was the instructor. Those who took the course were given pagers and the pagers will sound an alert when the fire dept receives a 911 call for cardiac arrest on our street. We've had a couple of practice drills...alarm goes off, each AED is removed from its locked case (responders have a key) and we head to address shown on pager. During the drill, the CPR training dummy is located in the yard of the address shown on the pager. As soon as someone arrives, CPR is started. The AED is only used when breathing is not restored by CPR. During the drill, Chief Lazenby as well as a fire dept vehicle show up. Frightens the neighbors if they don't know what's going on...

The AEDs do cost a bit and there is a yearly rental fee for the pagers. The fire department responds quickly in TV, but during a time when there is lots of traffic, that response could be delayed by a few minutes and those are precious minutes.

Last edited by pooh; 02-08-2011 at 07:06 PM.
Old 02-08-2011, 07:05 PM

The City of Seattle has them everywhere and they have the lowest level of deaths from heart attacks in the country. We should have them at all the rec center/pools in TV.
Old 02-08-2011, 07:44 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gongoozler View Post
The City of Seattle has them everywhere and they have the lowest level of deaths from heart attacks in the country. We should have them at all the rec center/pools in TV.
The rec centers do have AEDs. I can't say about the pools, I'm not a regular at the pools.
Old 02-10-2011, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avista View Post
Some of the villages are talking a bout getting their own AED Defibrillator. http://www.americanheart.org/present...tifier=3011859

Has anyone had any experience with these? I keep thinking that if a person in your home has a heart attack, one would call 911 and then do chest compressions or cpr. At what point would a person have time to go and get the defibrillator, or call someone to bring one over. Seems I would be busy with chest compressions.l

Interested in any comments.
I do beleve that the red cross will train you on how to use it. spealing from one that had one used on me it safed my life. It is better then CPR untel the EMT get there I now have a pace makes and am doing fine . Hope to down there full time this year.
I am 100% dependent on the pace maker now
Old 02-10-2011, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooh View Post
All the people on our street donated funds to purchase two AEDs. They were installed on two houses, one is on my house, and a number of people who live on the street, took a course in CPR and the use of an AED at the fire station. Chief Gail Lazenby of The Villages Public Safety Dept was the instructor. Those who took the course were given pagers and the pagers will sound an alert when the fire dept receives a 911 call for cardiac arrest on our street. We've had a couple of practice drills...alarm goes off, each AED is removed from its locked case (responders have a key) and we head to address shown on pager. During the drill, the CPR training dummy is located in the yard of the address shown on the pager. As soon as someone arrives, CPR is started. The AED is only used when breathing is not restored by CPR. During the drill, Chief Lazenby as well as a fire dept vehicle show up. Frightens the neighbors if they don't know what's going on...

The AEDs do cost a bit and there is a yearly rental fee for the pagers. The fire department responds quickly in TV, but during a time when there is lots of traffic, that response could be delayed by a few minutes and those are precious minutes.
I agree with you very good more people should join in
Old 02-10-2011, 06:45 PM
Sage
Default Funny, true story!

Our neighborhood has AEDs. One of the first weeks we had pagers, we got a test page that we didn't expect. Being new to pagers, we just read an address in the neighborhood and rushed to grab the AEDs and get to the address. About 20 of us arrived and rang the bell. After a while, an elderly lady came to the door and saw all of us there. I thought she was going to have a heart attack right there. One of us asked her if she needed help. She said no. Turns out we didn't scroll down the message far enough to see it was a test page. They have since modified the test page so it says "Test page" right at the top and doesn't include an address, just our neighborhood name.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.