Age-dependent immune response to the Biontech/Pfizer Vaccine

Closed Thread
Old 04-30-2021, 06:44 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,779 Times in 1,242 Posts
Default Age-dependent immune response to the Biontech/Pfizer Vaccine

A study compared the immune protection elicited by the Pfizer COVID vaccine in people under 60 and people over 80. Neutralizing antibody levels were significantly lower in elderly patients.

After the second dose, a third of the elderly group had no detectable neutralizing antibodies, whereas only two percent of the younger group had no detectable neutralizing antibodies. Read the study.

Age-dependent immune response to the Biontech/Pfizer BNT162b2 COVID-19 vaccination | Clinical Infectious Diseases | Oxford Academic

Conclusion

Our data showed differences between the antibody responses raised after the first and second BNT162b2 vaccination, in particular lower frequencies of neutralizing antibodies in the elderly group.

This suggests that this population needs to be closely monitored and may require earlier revaccination or/and an increased vaccine dose to ensure stronger long lasting immunity and protection against infection.
Old 04-30-2021, 07:18 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie0723 View Post
A study compared the immune protection elicited by the Pfizer COVID vaccine in people under 60 and people over 80. Neutralizing antibody levels were significantly lower in elderly patients.

After the second dose, a third of the elderly group had no detectable neutralizing antibodies, whereas only two percent of the younger group had no detectable neutralizing antibodies. Read the study.

Age-dependent immune response to the Biontech/Pfizer BNT162b2 COVID-19 vaccination | Clinical Infectious Diseases | Oxford Academic

Conclusion

Our data showed differences between the antibody responses raised after the first and second BNT162b2 vaccination, in particular lower frequencies of neutralizing antibodies in the elderly group.

This suggests that this population needs to be closely monitored and may require earlier revaccination or/and an increased vaccine dose to ensure stronger long lasting immunity and protection against infection.
Maybe us old folks need to be more careful again. Sigh.
Old 04-30-2021, 08:01 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,477 Times in 753 Posts

Be careful reading too much into this study.

Oxford is a very reliable source.

The Elderly frequently have less effective results from vaccinations, for example, the study p[oints out that the same thing happens in hepatitis B, pneumococcal, and influenza vaccinations. These lower results in other vaccines are in fact what prompted this study.

Another variable is the study was performed on residents of a nursing home, and not a "healthy" general population, and it was a somewhat small study, of only 176 patients.

My take is that it does not distract from taking the vaccination. The vaccination was already predicted to not be 100% effective in preventing COVID. And it was already known to be less effective in the elderly.

Studies in the general population where hundreds of millions of doses have been given show that even though the vaccine is not 100% effective in preventing getting the virus it is virtually 100% effective in preventing death from the virus (ignoring complicating co-morbidity factors).

And even ignoring all that, the study found that over 60% of patients confined to a nursing home did develop immunity after getting the vaccination.
Old 04-30-2021, 08:02 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,477 Times in 753 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Not so much.
Old 04-30-2021, 12:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,779 Times in 1,242 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Yes, we still don't know what we don't know on this one.

Which is why precautions are still recommended inside.
Old 05-01-2021, 07:03 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,645 Times in 1,516 Posts

I went shopping yesterday, visiting four stores. In one store there was NO one wearing a mask, other than the clerk. The other stores, about half the customers were wearing masks. I have been wearing a mask out of courtesy in the stores that post at the door, but have been pulling it down below my nose in order to breath easier. I do have my vaccination so I am not concerned about infection. I never have been worried, to be honest. Not an excuse but a reason; I don't like the way my mask causes my nose to sometimes run due to the condensation, I believe. Not sure, but with my nose covered, I end up rubbing the mask often. I won't argue the negatives over my action, just stating an honest fact. Even though I encourage others to get their shots, I also do not criticize anyone for being reluctant in wearing a mask. I don't doubt that a mask has some benefit, especially giving the comfort of a placebo effect to many. And it does provide a little protection in my opinion, but maybe some of us do not feel we need or want that little bit of protection. I am not an "anti-vaxxer" but I do not get the flu shot. Different? Ok, but I am just adding that I do not feel that I am as susceptible to viral type infections as some folks. And I do NOT feel any "Patriotic Duty" to wear a mask out in public right now. I still social distance (a long time habit) and I still wash my hands and use the disinfectant wipes provided at many businesses entrances.
I am in my 70's so any "age" related problems with the vaccination has not presented itself to me yet. Of course, my vaccine was the Moderna so it may be a different situation altogether. My rambling a bit off subject was in response to those commenting on how old folks should maybe be a bit more careful again. We either trust the vaccine or we don't. If we trust it, then we go about our business as we did pre-Covid. If we don't trust the vaccine to protect us, then we continue to act as if we never received it. If you think I am living dangerously, well I never built a bomb shelter either during the big atomic bomb scare when a child and I certainly wouldn't still be living out of a bomb shelter now. But, if you live in a bomb shelter, you are being safe and nobody can fault you for that. SO, if you continue to protect yourself with PE after receiving an immunization, good for you. I guess you can make believe that you are being "patriotic."

Tags
neutralizing, group, antibodies, elderly, vaccine

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.