Age You Felt Old

Old 03-19-2019, 02:42 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,015 Times in 273 Posts
Default Age You Felt Old

Just curious if I am on track with the majority. I sincerely do not recall much difference in my physical health between 45, 55 and even 65, but as I enter my early 70’s, I am very aware of my age. I now have to get out of bed slowly to judge how my balance is, I’m stiff and most annoying is that if I did anything physical yesterday, the muscles used are soar. I am; however, thankful that after 15 minutes, I have coffee, work out the kinks, find my bearing and am ready for the day. I am happy to say that I still do all my own yard work, fix my own plumbing as needed etc, etc..
Well, i feel great now and ready for a new project.

Happy aging to all.

Old 03-19-2019, 03:59 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,279 Times in 2,480 Posts

In my eighties now, but never been old in all my life.
Bit slower? Yes, but I will never be old!

Old 03-19-2019, 05:09 AM
Veteran member

Yes Two Bills, I agree, I still think I am in my 20’s, but my point is, that I never or rairly had aches/pains in the morning in my 40’s, 50’s and 60’s, but now in my 70’s it seems that it came on over night. One morning I woke up with aches and pains and that has became the normal. Now, I never wake up, jump out of bed and start my day. I have to have coffee and work out the stiffness and that went from rarely to every day over night about two years ago. But, I am happy and greatful that I still do all my own choirs and handy man duties.

Old 03-19-2019, 05:41 AM

It sort of comes and goes... first I felt old when I realized all my favorite songs were 10 years old, but I got over it. Then I felt old when I realized the kids I worked with were BORN the year I graduated high school! Then I got over it. It finally did bother me when I turned 60, but I got over it - sort of. Now I'm grateful that I am still healthy and active, and hope to stay that way for a while.

Old 03-19-2019, 06:08 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Smile Enjoy

I am also in my middle 80's and enjoy life. Avoid stress, don't celebrate birthdays as they are just a way of making you feel old.
Also don't concentrate on the negatives and keep positive. Do good
and keep busy. Volunteer and remember there are some who will treat you like your old and don't think you are still "use able". Disregard these idiots and remember they will be older and will then get religion. Net: Don't worry just take each day as a gift.

Old 03-19-2019, 06:30 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennBF View Post
I am also in my middle 80's and enjoy life. Avoid stress, don't celebrate birthdays as they are just a way of making you feel old.
Also don't concentrate on the negatives and keep positive. Do good
and keep busy. Volunteer and remember there are some who will treat you like your old and don't think you are still "use able". Disregard these idiots and remember they will be older and will then get religion. Net: Don't worry just take each day as a gift.

Old 03-19-2019, 06:33 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,687 Times in 3,600 Posts

Until I came down here, surrounded by all these old people.............now I feel younger.

Old 03-19-2019, 06:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

The day my kids laughed at me for asking for a Senior Discount @ Dunkin Donuts. I don't like all the aches and pains and do speak of them sometimes but try not to let them take over my good attitude. I don't want to be negative because it rubs off on those around me and then the entire operation turns negative.

I started feeling older at about 55 but I'm fighting the feeling for certain.

Great Thread, Thanks.

Old 03-19-2019, 07:03 AM
fw102807

My body may think I'm old but my mind says I'm still young. It's a struggle.

Old 03-19-2019, 07:30 AM
Sage
Default agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by fw102807 View Post
i agree with this post! internally i still feel like a high schooler but then i look in the mirror and get a reality check the morning stiffness goes away quickly....i go to Curves and they have a sign up, "Don't let the old woman in" which i believe is a good motto!

Old 03-19-2019, 07:50 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,558 Times in 507 Posts

Age to me has always been just a number. I’ll be 66 next month and still feel great. I walk about 8 miles a day on the 3 days a week I walk and when my wife and I play golf, I walk the courses.

Old 03-19-2019, 07:58 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,743 Times in 1,383 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fw102807 View Post
Me too!
Attitude has a profound effect on how one feels about their age, health and outlook.

Every day I see many who are 10-20 years younger than me and they look and behave much older. (I am early 80's).

In addition to attitude is activity. Keep moving. I still walk 1 1/2 to 2 miles every morning. I average 10,000 to 12,000 steps per day. I concentrate on talking normal, standing straight strides and not shuffling along. There is a propensity for too many to not stray from home as they age/get older.....avoid it if at all possible.

Then there is outlook. A poor or negative outlook will greatly affect how old one feels or thinks they are.

We, my wife and I still plan, schedule and do things and go places the same way we did when we were younger.

There are that work the being older status for one benefit or another.

When I need the cooperation of the kids or grandchildren or friends I smilingly remind them we are part of the here today gone tomorrow generation.

Eat and stay healthy! It delays getting older even though the birthdays continue.

Old 03-19-2019, 08:10 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,687 Times in 3,600 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrazorbackfan View Post
Age to me has always been just a number. I’ll be 66 next month and still feel great. I walk about 8 miles a day on the 3 days a week I walk and when my wife and I play golf, I walk the courses.

Life is Good!!

Old 03-19-2019, 08:15 AM
Gold member

I was thinking of this subject last month when I turned 69. I've never felt old until recently. My back hurts constantly, getting out of bed requires both hands to push me up and out, and my driving distance (golf) is down to 175 at best. But despite getting old, life is still good and I'd just as soon keep doing it for another 20 years or more.

Old 03-19-2019, 09:45 AM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,573 Times in 1,749 Posts

When my father turned 90 I asked him how old he felt. Without stopping to think about it or even take a breath he said"18 but stuck in this old body!".

As for me I started to notice needing more time to work the stiffness out of my back and joints and get going in the morning in my early seventies. I would say that was when I started to feel my age.

Probably in my 50s I started scanning the obituaries in my hometown newspaper now and then to find out which of the parents of my school chums were passing away. Now they are of my classmates passing although a handful of them have mothers in their late 90s or 100+ still alive.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine

Last edited by manaboutown; 03-19-2019 at 09:54 AM.

Tags
age, ready, physical, work, happy

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.