Allergies in The Villages??

Closed Thread
Old 05-09-2020, 11:53 PM
Location: New Hampshire, now Heathrow on Lake Deaton Preserve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
Montelukast. I was given this medicine the first year we got to The Villages and it helped clear up all the nasty allergy symptoms I struggled with my entire life. It is a prescription and I'm almost certain it's either free or only $3. Good Luck.
I believe that Montelukast is the generic version of Singulaire.
Old 05-10-2020, 05:20 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo View Post
For the first time in my life I am constantly sneezing and have a very runny nose. It just started yesterday. According to the paper the pollen count is not excessive. Tried Claritin, a nasal spray, and nasal decongestant to no avail. Will seek medical help Monday. Who do you recommend?
I use Claritin daily which usually does the trick. But sometimes I still get congested and that’s when I use my neti pot. It does a great job of cleaning out the sinuses. Gets the allergens and extra mucus that can’t be blown out with a tissue. Not only feels good, but prevents sinus infections as well. I use it when I get a cold too, works wonders to clear it up quickly since the mucus is not sitting in the sinuses holding all the germs and dripping down the throat. Helps to ward off complications like infections in the sinuses, throat and chest. There are You Tube videos to show you how to use it properly. Buy at Walgreens, CVS, etc.

Last edited by kendi; 05-10-2020 at 05:31 AM.
Old 05-10-2020, 05:29 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yung Dum View Post
It gave me terrible headaches. I don't even remember if it helped my allergies.
My brother couldn’t use the neti pot either but I love it. Works wonders for me. Some people have deformed sinus passages (my brother) that prevents the water from flowing through properly. You have to make sure the water was previously boiled, is warm when you use it and has the saline powder completely mixed in.
Old 05-10-2020, 06:02 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
For the first time in my life I am constantly sneezing and have a very runny nose. It just started yesterday. According to the paper the pollen count is not excessive. Tried Claritin, a nasal spray, and nasal decongestant to no avail. Will seek medical help Monday. Who do you recommend?
It may be wise to consult your PCP today. Now that I have thought about it. Doctors are allowing calls to reach them even on the weekend. Do you have a fever?

For those who don't know Jojo, she has lived here a long time and is one of the smartest folks I have met, let alone having good common sense as well.

Thinking of you, Jojo.
Old 05-10-2020, 06:24 AM

My husband always seems to have bad allergies. I finally got him to consistently use generic fluticasone spray once a day and he has greatly improved. We get it at Sams, much better price than the name brand spray.
Old 05-10-2020, 06:25 AM

Someone on this Forum or ND said switch around medications stating your system may Get used to a certain typeS and lose its 100% effectiveness. So I went from Zyrtec to Allegra and noticed an improvement. I hate paying for this stuff, seems like such a rip. You can get a year supply of some generics on amazon for $20, they are ok in the off season.
Old 05-10-2020, 06:30 AM
Veteran member

I went to a ENT Dr on Thursday in Ocala. Sinus problems, allergies ramping up. Ended up on an antibiotic to clear up sinus infection. I will be on a daily maintenance dose of Allegra, Montelukast, and a daily nasal spraying of Sinumed, to open and drain sinuses. This has been a rough year for allergy sufferers and have not had to go to these extremes to get relief. May have to go back to allergy injections that I was able to stop 20 years ago.
Old 05-10-2020, 06:34 AM

Change your pillow case daily. What settles in your hair through out the day, you are inhaling while you sleep.
Old 05-10-2020, 06:34 AM
Location: Mt. AIRY NC, NORFOLK VA, VA BEACH, VA, FT WAYNE,IN, CINCINNATI, OH, ROSWELL, GA, THE VILLAGES
Default same problem

Quote:
I have the same problem since I moved here. I think it's different allergies down here.
Old 05-10-2020, 07:05 AM

Flonase it’s great!
Old 05-10-2020, 07:24 AM
Default Pollen is horrible this year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjeanj View Post
My husband and I both use Dr. Vaught (352.753.8448) on Hwy. 441 across from the hospital. I also get allergy shots from there. The pollen here is different than elsewhere due to different plants, etc. I use Claritin, Astelin, and Singulair, but everyone is different. You may need to take a generic antihistamine (you know, the stuff that makes one sleepy) on particularly bad days.

Good luck. Hope you find something that helps.
I take 2 generic Benadryl in the morning as I get up and two at night, if a hard day, I take a misting spray once in the afternoon, but not needed everyday. It clears me up and after while the generic Benadryl does not make me sleepy!!!!!!!!
Old 05-10-2020, 07:25 AM
Default Another solution

I'm finally off allergy shots after 25 yrs. Allergic to dust, pollen, grasses, mold, feathers, cat, dog and more. I once visited a swannery in England and immediately started sneezing uncontrollably and my nose was running buckets! So...there are lot of triggers out there but oak tree pollen is among the worst. Now I take Walmart Zyrtec daily year round and flush my sinuses in the shower. I use Neil-Med available at Walgreens, CVS & probably Amazon. It's a plastic bottle with premeasured packets of saline. Use distilled water for the mix. It easily clears out your sinuses. You will breathe much easier and your sinuses will be moistened.
Old 05-10-2020, 07:27 AM
Sage

When we first moved here 10 yrs ago and I was getting set up with my primary, she did the usual checks and said "oh, you have a sinus infection!" I'd not yet had the usual symptoms (they came later), and said so. She told me "you've moved to allergy alley!" She was right, I'm on daily Claritin and this year has seemed bad despite the meds. It's been windy and if you have your windows open or go out you'll have all the symptoms of allegies. It's happening at our house with both of us. Every morning we both wake up with lots of (excuse me if TMI) mucus and drainage and sneezing and blowing. We've noticed the Crepe Myrtle and Jasmine are blooming now and many other flora is as well. Spring has sprung!
Old 05-10-2020, 07:40 AM
Default Allergy Treatment

Try 3 prong combo recommended by an allergist which works for me. 1) Flonase nasal spray which is OTC. 2) Anihistamine of your choice like Claritin. 3) Saline nasal spray, Ocean, Ayr or generic. 3 to 6 times a day, especially before shower. You can also try Afrin spray if sinuses are bad but no longer than 3 days because it can cause rebound.
Old 05-10-2020, 07:46 AM
Default Flonase

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Claritin is called a second generation antihistamine. You may want to try Xyzal, which is a third generation antihistamine, and I guess it is supposed to be an improvement. I don't have a lot of confidence in any doctor really solving an allergy issue unless they can clearly identify a specific cause. Good luck.
I have a lot of relief with Flonase. Good luck 🥰
Closed Thread

Tags
nasal, excessive, claritin, spray, decongestant

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.