Alliant Derm - mohs - dr Brandon Markus

Closed Thread
Old 12-26-2019, 04:42 AM
Default Alliant Derm - mohs - dr Brandon Markus

Turns out I have a squamous spot on my cheek - diameter of a pencil eraser. Jen Davis (excellent medical professional) is recommending mohs/Markus.

I’ve not had mohs before nor seen Markus.

1) Any comments + / - on Markus? Is he the right person for the job?

I’ve read about the mohs surgery and understand the basic process.

2) How painful is the numbing process? About how many numbs can I expect in a 4 hour window (that’s my middle of the road guess for what I might need)?

3) Waiting for lab reports - is it typically the hour/plus or hour/less with Markus?

I know to bring entertainment - so I’m having my wife accompany me. I will of course have my prescribed service animal (sloth) with me. Yoshi and I are inseparable.

4) Anything else I should be aware of?

Thanks group!
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	36295411-BA56-492B-8687-521A34CF91C8.jpg
Views:	860
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	82376  
Old 12-26-2019, 10:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,750 Times in 1,386 Posts

Markus is an excellent MOHS practitioner.
The facility where they do the procedure has a well trained staff for support, including a qualified plastic surgeon (if needed).
The length of time for the procedure is a function of how many are having it done at the time. And how many layers may be required to get to "clear margins".

Assume you will be there for 4 hours. Anything less will be a bonus.

The only part of the process that might hurt is the initial numbing which will be no more than a bug bite if that!!
Old 12-26-2019, 10:54 AM
Gold member

I agree with everything said by biilethkid. He's done several squamous removals on me. I needed Dr Ahumada, the plastic surgeon, this last time. He's is excellent also. Dr Markus did the removal the day before Thanksgiving, I go back Monday for final check with Dr A. I had to have skin graft hence the long recovery period. You are in excellent hands there. Numbing is a few quick needles, from then on you won't feel a thing.
Old 12-26-2019, 11:38 AM

Thanks to both of u for the insights/reassurance - most appreciated!!
Old 12-27-2019, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graspher View Post
Turns out I have a squamous spot on my cheek - diameter of a pencil eraser. Jen Davis (excellent medical professional) is recommending mohs/Markus.

I’ve not had mohs before nor seen Markus.

1) Any comments + / - on Markus? Is he the right person for the job?

I’ve read about the mohs surgery and understand the basic process.

2) How painful is the numbing process? About how many numbs can I expect in a 4 hour window (that’s my middle of the road guess for what I might need)?

3) Waiting for lab reports - is it typically the hour/plus or hour/less with Markus?

I know to bring entertainment - so I’m having my wife accompany me. I will of course have my prescribed service animal (sloth) with me. Yoshi and I are inseparable.

4) Anything else I should be aware of?

Thanks group!
My husband has needed MOH's for the past 10 years due to skin cancer. We moved here 5 years ago and he started going to Dr Casper but after a year or so was transferred to Dr Markus. He was hesitant since he felt and heard that Dr Casper was the best. He's been with Dr Markus for about 3 years and speaks very highly of him. He just had MOH's last week, Alliant is very caring, they call to make sure everything is going well with each procedure. He had MOH's before Christmas and after Christmas. He normally catches up on news, emails, etc on his phone. The time goes by pretty fast. I don't believe he's ever had to wait an hour in between the lab results. I can verify that with him and get back to you if you would like. He's a big baby and has never complained about any pain at all for MOH's. He finally said his hand had some pain 2 days after the procedure but he also needed a skin graft. Please don't hesitate to PM me if you have questions that he will probably be able to answer for you.
Old 12-27-2019, 05:30 PM
Platinum member

I have had several MOHS surgeries, I have not been a patient of Dr. Markus.

However, the pain connected to numbing in the cheek area, should be almost none. I have passed out just getting a shot for flu, but the shots at the dermatoligist do not bother me. Especially in fleshy areas.

I hope you can relax.
Old 12-27-2019, 05:52 PM
Platinum member

As a veteran of numerous non-melanoma skin cancers, I can tell you a squamous on your face/head can be serious and is not the run-of-the mill basal cell.

I had a very bad squamous cell experience with Dr. Casper (mohs) that ended up requiring a skin graft. I think Dr. A is excellent but he pretty much needed to clean up a bad situation. It took a very long time to heal and my activity was severely restricted. Almost two years later, I have a disfiguring scar slightly larger than a quarter. (The lesion, itself, was about the size of a pencil eraser and I had it a month at most.) Fortunately, mine is on my leg, not my face.

I have not had surgery with Dr. Markus so I have no opinion on his skills. Remember, it’s your face.

I strongly urge you to go to Moffitt for a second opinion.

This is just my experience and I agonized about whether to share it.

Whatever you decide, I wish you the best for a quick recovery.

Last edited by Villageswimmer; 12-27-2019 at 05:55 PM. Reason: Mistakenly typed malignant rather than non-melanoma
Old 12-27-2019, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcaligirl View Post
My husband has needed MOH's for the past 10 years due to skin cancer. We moved here 5 years ago and he started going to Dr Casper but after a year or so was transferred to Dr Markus. He was hesitant since he felt and heard that Dr Casper was the best. He's been with Dr Markus for about 3 years and speaks very highly of him. He just had MOH's last week, Alliant is very caring, they call to make sure everything is going well with each procedure. He had MOH's before Christmas and after Christmas. He normally catches up on news, emails, etc on his phone. The time goes by pretty fast. I don't believe he's ever had to wait an hour in between the lab results. I can verify that with him and get back to you if you would like. He's a big baby and has never complained about any pain at all for MOH's. He finally said his hand had some pain 2 days after the procedure but he also needed a skin graft. Please don't hesitate to PM me if you have questions that he will probably be able to answer for you.
Thanks for that - and no need - I’m feeling pretty relaxed (although... easy to say 6 days from cut time 😊)!

Thank you for taking the time xcaligirl!
Old 12-27-2019, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starflyte1 View Post
I have had several MOHS surgeries, I have not been a patient of Dr. Markus.

However, the pain connected to numbing in the cheek area, should be almost none. I have passed out just getting a shot for flu, but the shots at the dermatoligist do not bother me. Especially in fleshy areas.

I hope you can relax.
That’s good news cause I can handle a flu shot!! I should be able to - my service sloth will be right there with me helping to keep my pulse down!!
Old 12-27-2019, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villageswimmer View Post
As a veteran of numerous non-melanoma skin cancers, I can tell you a squamous on your face/head can be serious and is not the run-of-the mill basal cell.

I had a very bad squamous cell experience with Dr. Casper (mohs) that ended up requiring a skin graft. I think Dr. A is excellent but he pretty much needed to clean up a bad situation. It took a very long time to heal and my activity was severely restricted. Almost two years later, I have a disfiguring scar slightly larger than a quarter. (The lesion, itself, was about the size of a pencil eraser and I had it a month at most.) Fortunately, mine is on my leg, not my face.

I have not had surgery with Dr. Markus so I have no opinion on his skills. Remember, it’s your face.

I strongly urge you to go to Moffitt for a second opinion.

This is just my experience and I agonized about whether to share it.

Whatever you decide, I wish you the best for a quick recovery.
Yikes....pencil to quarter. That wouldn’t look good on the face! Thank you for the insights....I think I’m going to u turn to the blackboard for another look.

Most appreciated!
Old 12-27-2019, 07:26 PM
Platinum member

Do keep in mind I had a graft. You may not need that. Ask a lot of questions so you know what to expect. I had had many surgeries that were no big deal until this one.
Old 12-27-2019, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villageswimmer View Post
Do keep in mind I had a graft. You may not need that. Ask a lot of questions so you know what to expect. I had had many surgeries that were no big deal until this one.
I am going back with more questions - I failed to consider the outfield negatives.

My thought was something this small shouldn’t be a big deal. I wasn’t thinking of the possibility that they may have to keep cutting further and further out.

Time tells all.....
Old 12-27-2019, 09:47 PM

had a nasty mohs done on basel cell below my right eye. I would highly recommend a 2nd opinion for face Mohs and have Dr Danny Soares do the facial closing procedurre. This Doc is a highly skilled Facial plastic surgeon. He spent over an hour doing fine stitches under my eye. zero scar. Definately would have him do a consult first.
Old 12-27-2019, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navy (SSBN 633) View Post
had a nasty mohs done on basel cell below my right eye. I would highly recommend a 2nd opinion for face Mohs and have Dr Danny Soares do the facial closing procedurre. This Doc is a highly skilled Facial plastic surgeon. He spent over an hour doing fine stitches under my eye. zero scar. Definately would have him do a consult first.
Thanks for that reference - most appreciated!
Old 12-29-2019, 07:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,658 Times in 592 Posts

I've used Alliant with great results. Best clinic around for that sort of work. No surgerical procedure is enjoyable but you'll get through it fine as I did.
Best wishes
Closed Thread

Tags
markus, mohs, i’ve, process, typically

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.