I don't.
Old 07-27-2017, 11:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Alternative Medicine: Where the mediums seek medical care
Old 07-27-2017, 11:46 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

A lot of people are clueless, as to the number of so-called 'modern medicines,'...that were actually derived from natural sources that at one time had been labeled as 'alternative medicine.'...prior to their efficacy being proved.

Mother Nature's Medicine Cabinet - Scientific American

Quote:
Indeed, nearly half of all human pharmaceuticals now in use were originally derived from natural sources. Perhaps the most famous example is aspirin, which evolved from a compound found in the bark and leaves of the willow tree and was later marketed by Bayer starting in 1899. Some 50 years later, scientists identified anticancer compounds in the rosy periwinkle (right), which pharmaceutical heavyweight Eli Lilly subsequently produced for the treatment of leukemia and Hodgkin¿s disease. Other well-known examples include the cancer-fighting Taxol, isolated from the Pacific yew tree, and Aggrastat, an anticoagulant based on the venom of the saw-scaled viper from Africa.
So before someone dismisses 'alternative medicine' in its entirety, it would behoove them to actually educate themselves...as to what they are talking about.

Jes saying.
Old 07-27-2017, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
A lot of people are clueless, as to the number of so-called 'modern medicines,'...that were actually derived from natural sources that at one time had been labeled as 'alternative medicine.'...prior to their efficacy being proved.

So before someone dismisses 'alternative medicine' in its entirety, it would behoove them to actually educate themselves...as to what they are talking about.

Jes saying.
Great post!!! Some post just to post.
Old 07-27-2017, 12:07 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post

Jes saying.
Of course most modern drugs are derived from natural sources, what's your point???

Prior to the 20th century, all "drugs" are what we would call alternative medicine today. So what.

The choice we have today is whether to take a purified, potent, natural or synthesized pharmaceutical, or just go ahead and get treated as you would have in the 6th century.

If you have a tachyarrhythmia you can take 0.25 mg of pure, synthesized digoxin, or screw around with 1/4 or 1/2 leaf of digitalis, ?size, ? potency

If you have small cell carcinoma of the lung, you can have your oncologist give you an IV infusion of purified taxol, or you can have you "naturopath" recommend you chew on Pacific yew bark

If you have a bad case of influenza A, you can take 75 mg of Tamiflu 2x/day or suck on zinc lozenges all day.

In each example, which do you think is more effective. And skip the crap about "side effects" and "natural cure"----death is natural as well.
Old 07-27-2017, 12:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
Of course most modern drugs are derived from natural sources, what's your point???

Prior to the 20th century, all "drugs" are what we would call alternative medicine today. So what.

The choice we have today is whether to take a purified, potent, natural or synthesized pharmaceutical, or just go ahead and get treated as you would have in the 6th century.

If you have a tachyarrhythmia you can take 0.25 mg of pure, synthesized digoxin, or screw around with 1/4 or 1/2 leaf of digitalis, ?size, ? potency

If you have small cell carcinoma of the lung, you can have your oncologist give you an IV infusion of purified taxol, or you can have you "naturopath" recommend you chew on Pacific yew bark

If you have a bad case of influenza A, you can take 75 mg of Tamiflu 2x/day or suck on zinc lozenges all day.

In each example, which do you think is more effective. And skip the crap about "side effects" and "natural cure"----death is natural as well.
Well said.
Old 07-27-2017, 01:18 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Robinson View Post
Whew! A little testy . . .
No, not at all. Just laying out the facts.

If there was a "natural" or "herbal" cure that was just as effective as a manufactured pharmaceutical, I'd be the first one in line to buy it. Unfortunately, there is a huge difference in efficacy. A lot of patients get sold on the idea of a "natural" product---sounds good, seems safe. But many of the synthesized drugs are the same, just purified and concentrated versions of the active ingredient. TV ads listing 50 horrible "side effects" and lawyer ads for class action suits don't help the general perception either. I always told patients just report to me anything you think is an adverse effect and we'll deal with it---the reason for prescribing the drug is not the 2% side effects, it's the 94% EFFECT.

Meanwhile, there are millions of potential botanical and aquatic "cures" that we haven't even discovered yet. But when we do, I'm sure the active compound will be isolated and synthesized. I once saw an ad for a Chinese herb that was supposed to keep you disease free and add 40 years to your life. Realistically, if such an herb existed, how long do you think it would take (greedy) Big Pharma to synthesize that ingredient??? Do you think it would sell? For a big price??? You betcha.
Old 07-27-2017, 01:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

An old friend and neighbor in Cincinnati who had been diagnosed with breast cancer the year before I was diagnosed with breast cancer had opted to fly to one of the states bordering Mexico and have treatments there from a much touted alternative medicine doctor. She came to me trying to convince me to do the same; Telling me that chemo is poison and that people really knew how to cure cancer but they were keeping it secret because it was such a money maker for "big pharma". She looked great and I was struggling with a new diagnosis and I was scared to death. My husband was so worried and sad as well, not to mention the kids.

I went to the highest recommended oncologist I could find in Cincinnati, Ohio. I had surgery, radiation and chemo. Ten years ago. I will always be grateful to the doctors who treated me and daughter Helene for breast cancer successfully. I know that it could have turned out differently.

Our neighbor friend died.

Last edited by graciegirl; 07-27-2017 at 01:41 PM.
Old 07-27-2017, 01:42 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
An old friend and neighbor who had been diagnosed with breast cancer the year before I was diagnosed with breast cancer had opted to fly to one of the states bordering Mexico and have treatments there from a much touted alternative medicine doctor. She came to me trying to convince me to do the same; Telling me that chemo is poison and that people really knew how to cure cancer but they were keeping it secret because it was such a money maker for "big pharma". She looked great and I was struggling with a new diagnosis and I was scared to death. My husband was so worried and sad as well, not to mention the kids.

I went to the highest recommended oncologist I could find in Cincinnati, Ohio. I had surgery, radiation and chemo. Ten years ago. I will always be grateful to the doctors who treated me and daughter Helene for breast cancer successfully. I know that it could have turned out differently.

Our neighbor died.
She was half right----chemo IS poison, just one we hope kills the cancer cells quicker than our own cells. Unfortunately, she was dead right.

I love the "cure is kept secret" conspiracy theory. If they can sell "poison" with mediocre efficacy, what do you think they could sell the definitive cure for? And the researchers who discovered this cure passed on the fame, the money, and the Nobel prize to preserve Big Pharma's profits??? I don't think so.
Closed Thread

Tags
trust, people, medicine, alternative

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.