America's most prescribed drugs in 2018.

Closed Thread
Old 11-26-2019, 05:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I'm confused. I'm not sure I understand the point of this thread. Should I ask my doctor to prescribe all of these drugs for me, or should I ask him not to prescribe them?
The point was for me was to see what are the most prescribed drugs. Most older adults that I have talked to take the same three; Statins, Bloodpressure medication and medicine to combat heartburn.

Statins have reduced the amount of heart related deaths considerably in the last few decades. No one should "TAKE" any drugs unless their doctors prescribe them. I think the need for medication is very individual and can be affected by diet and lifestyle and even genetics and of course AGE.

I have decent cholesterol readings and so does my husband, but we both take statins as a preventive measure for two completely different reasons. He was born with only one coronary artery. I am not any kind of medical professional but have always been interested in cardiac health because our youngest was born with a serious congenital heart defect and stenosed blood vessels too, due to Williams Syndrome.

Some people read the sports page, I read the New England Journal of Medicine. If we were all the same...you know the rest.
Old 11-26-2019, 05:52 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,980 Times in 713 Posts

I am on or have been on a few of those on the this. I am not surprised as I take 52 pills a day among other things. I was on more but have been able to eliminate a few.
Old 11-26-2019, 05:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,617 Times in 5,196 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotGolfer View Post
I believe it's always good to be educated on the medications our providers want to prescribe for us. I tend to weigh side-effects vs the benefits and then want conversation with my doctor re: this. Did you all know that many times dr's don't know all that much except what the drug rep. tells them???

We can alter what's happening in our bodies by changing our eating habits AND perhaps using supplements as well. I know this will rattle "some" people's thoughts but it's true. I once was on 15 drugs and now I'm down to 5. I have a couple of autoimmune issues going on so can't stop those meds.
I agree that doctors don't really know much about the drugs they prescribe, because they don't do much follow-up. They can prescribe a drug, the patient could die, and they may not even know it. But, I don't agree about the published side effects, because I think they are often written by lawyers to protect the drug company from lawsuits. Also, regarding supplements, I don't think you ever know what you are getting, because the ingredients are not regulated and controlled by the FDA.
Old 11-26-2019, 06:01 PM

Many women I know are on antidepressants. Whether they truly need them or not I do not know but I remember when they had not yet been invented and people seemed happy enough. I shudder when I recall some who considered themselves overweight taking Fen Phen. My doctor is very conservative about prescribing medication unless a patient really needs it as many times once a person is on it they cannot get off it. He has told me a couple of times to lose a few pounds to lower my blood pressure as it was 130 over 90. I did and it went back down to 120 over 80. Common sense. He and I laugh about certain pain killers often prescribed as they don’t really kill the pain. They make you just not care you have the pain and constipate the heck out of you. Lol

Some time ago I read some book about Blue Zones where people live long healthy lives. The people eat fresh food, lead very low stress lives, are socially connected to extended family and friends and are physically active. They do not have high level healthcare facilities nearby. Their lifestyle keeps them healthy, not medications.

Last edited by Luv2Bretired; 11-26-2019 at 06:14 PM.
Old 11-27-2019, 01:41 PM
Send a message via AIM to HelenLCSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I saw that and wondered too. Zoloft is not mentioned and it is one of the most prescribed as you say. It is astounding how many use it. AND how much it helps both anxiety AND depression.
What is really astounding is that so many people are unaware that Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (not traditional talk therapy) is more effective than meds in most cases of anxiety and/or depression.
Old 11-27-2019, 02:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,468 Times in 3,093 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
Doing actual research to dig into facts...is harshing on my mellow.

I think I need go see if I can get me...one of those anti-depression drugs.
Might be why some people have trouble with my posts - I actually check links, sources, resources, and raw data. I never believe statistics until I can check the source of the data (and the sources usually prove the statistics inaccurate).

I am a harshmallow, hah! Happy thanksgiving!
Old 11-27-2019, 02:36 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelenLCSW View Post
What is really astounding is that so many people are unaware that Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (not traditional talk therapy) is more effective than meds in most cases of anxiety and/or depression.
Cognitive Behavioral Therapy was much more used thirty years ago than now. A couple of weeks ago an old friend who is a psychologist was telling us at lunch about a case history she had recently read about two families who had adopted a set of identical twins whose father was in jail for life for murder. One family was very well off, their son was their only child and he had a stay at home mother, and very good schools and constant love and supervision. The other twin was adopted by a family of small means and not as much time to spend with him and they already had
three other children.

We waited to hear the outcome of these two young men in their thirties.

She told us that they had both been arrested for violent crimes, one for murder.
Old 11-27-2019, 03:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
Might be why some people have trouble with my posts - I actually check links, sources, resources, and raw data. I never believe statistics until I can check the source of the data (and the sources usually prove the statistics inaccurate).

I am a harshmallow, hah! Happy thanksgiving!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucco View Post
May more like you visit TOTV.

What some call "fake news" is actual truth, and to get to who is lying you need to do lots of digging.

Go and keep it up........We speak of helping others with drugs, therapy, etc, BUT NEVER do we discuss the lying, which is a disease, as is, in my opinion, enabling of chronic liars.

All depends on our perspective, but facts dont change
YEP...and...YEP.
Old 11-27-2019, 03:57 PM

Quote:
two families who had adopted a set of identical twins whose father was in jail for life for murder. One family was very well off, their son was their only child and he had a stay at home mother, and very good schools and constant love and supervision. The other twin was adopted by a family of small means and not as much time to spend with him and they already had
three other children.

We waited to hear the outcome of these two young men in their thirties.

She told us that they had both been arrested for violent crimes, one for murder.
Gracie did you see the documentary from a few years back "Three Identical Strangers"?

Pretty crazy.
Old 11-27-2019, 05:31 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Post View Post
Gracie did you see the documentary from a few years back "Three Identical Strangers"?

Pretty crazy.
I did. I had forgotten about that.

three identical strangers documentary - Bing video
Old 11-27-2019, 06:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

Though the most prescribe drug would be preparation H
Old 11-27-2019, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karostay View Post
Though the most prescribe drug would be preparation H
Isn’t that over the counter?

Probably the under the counter drugs are the most popular, methamphetamines, crack cocaine, heroine, etc.
Old 11-27-2019, 08:49 PM

An elderly gentleman went in to the Pharmacy and said to the pharmacist " i have a problem and i have heard about a little blue pill that may solve it. Is it true?

Yes , it will solve your problem, very successful." Said the pharmacist.

Well, can I get it over the counter? Said the gentleman.

Yes, said the pharmacist, if you take TWO.
Old 11-28-2019, 10:22 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Wow. To what do you attribute this good fortune?

Do you mind sharing your cholesterol numbers?

Mine were never high but I was prescribed statins as a preventive measure. Statistics show that deaths from heart disease have dropped since Statins.
I was prescribed Lipitor about 20 years ago. When I researched the drug, I stopped taking it and changed my diet. At that time, my total cholesterol was 240, a year later it was 150. 20 years later, it is always under 200. My Dr agrees, I do not need a statin. My cholesterol is checked every 2 weeks when I donate Blood Platelets.
Closed Thread

Tags
find, gerd, thyroid, blood, pressure

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.