Another Rude Doctor

Closed Thread
Old 06-17-2011, 02:13 PM
Veteran member
Default Another Rude Doctor

My Trip to the GYN Today. (Female doc last name begins with H)

I had an appointment for Noon and because it was the first time seeing this doctor, I arrived at 11:30 to fill out paperwork, which was completed by 11:40.

At Noon, the receptionist said to me: “Mrs. Salpal, why don’t you go get some lunch and come back around 1 pm.

Me: What? My appointment is at Noon.

Rec: Well, the doctor just left for lunch and she will not be back till around 1 pm.

Me: Are you serious? I have a Noon appointment and she left for lunch knowing that a patient was here?

Rec: Yes, I am sorry, but she got backed up all morning.

Me: Why didn’t she wait to go to lunch till after she saw me?

Rec: Because she has a completely booked afternoon.

Needless to say, I informed the Receptionist that I knew it was not her fault, but that this was unprofessional and unacceptable and I left. So, am I to assume that it is assumed that because most people in The Villages are retired, their time is of no value???
Old 06-17-2011, 03:08 PM
Email Reported As Spam

I have found those doctors and their staffs associated with the Munro Medical system to be wonderful
Old 06-17-2011, 03:25 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by salpal View Post

I had an appointment for Noon and because it was the first time seeing this doctor, I arrived at 11:30 to fill out paperwork, which was completed by 11:40.

At Noon, the receptionist said to me: “Mrs. Salpal, why don’t you go get some lunch and come back around 1 pm.

Rec: Well, the doctor just left for lunch and she will not be back till around 1 pm.

Me: Are you serious? I have a Noon appointment and she left for lunch knowing that a patient was here?

Needless to say, I informed the Receptionist that I knew it was not her fault, but that this was unprofessional and unacceptable and I left. So, am I to assume that it is assumed that because most people in The Villages are retired, their time is of no value???
salpal:

I had a similar experience in CT. I had a job that only paid for the hours I worked. I called the doctor's office and make it very clear to the receptionists that since the doctor started at 7:30 Am, I needed to be the first patient in that day.

When I arrived before 7:30 AM, I was the fourth patient in line. When I made it clear I was not happy, the doctor informed he changed the scheduling as he saw fit. Since then, I've come to understand his personnel are trained to do what he wants, as it is his business and he runs as he sees fit. I feel sorry for them as it is my impresssion, he can be difficult depending on his mood.

Retired or not retired, the short answer is NO. The doctors time is the only important schedule.

I can't wait to move to TV as I will seek a doctor who tries to establish a working relationship with their patients and keeps his/her appointment times somewhat on schedule. I realize emergencies happen but that should be the exception.
Old 06-17-2011, 07:25 PM
Sage

Quote:

That doctor was definitely "out to lunch". She needs a visit from the Posse.
Old 06-17-2011, 07:43 PM
Sage
Default Receptionist might have made "executive decision"

Quote:

Knowing how often office nurses and especially receptionists have their own little kingdom and power base at the front desk, I would wonder if the doctor even knew you were there.

I have seen plenty of dr. office receptionists and nurses who would make the "executive decision" to tell the doctor that you were not going to get there until 1:00.

I would call this dr. and leave a message for her to call me "at her convenience". If asked what it is regarding, I would say "the appointment I had and came to".

The dr. should be told by you, straight from the horse's mouth what happened. I would bet the dr. doesn't know you were there and that the receptionist sucked up to her by saying, "Oh, go ahead and go to lunch....you're working SO hard today.....and your 12:00 patient isn't coming until 1:00 now anyway."
Old 06-18-2011, 05:57 AM
Veteran member

Not sure how this doctor runs her office but that is highly irregular and wrong!
Being a former medical receptionist I do know that "some" doctor's can act as if they are god (small g is intentional). A good receptionist would have been able to defuse this situation pretty well. I've only had one somewhat bad experience with a medical office here in T.V. (pain clinic in Laural Manor) where the receptionist really could use some "GOOD" training!!! The doctor there is excellant but his receptionist doesn't have good people skills (this is foremost "key"). I've had quite a bit of experience here in T.V. with various medical offices and would say that the others have been highly professional.
I would definately follow up on this experience with BOTH a phone-call to the doctor and a letter as well. A little oil to a squeeky wheel sometimes gives good results.
Old 06-18-2011, 06:30 AM
Founder

Quote:
(Female doc last name begins with H)
We would all be curious what the rest of the name is so that our lady members can plan accordingly.
Old 06-18-2011, 08:27 AM
Veteran member

Talk Host, was afraid to post name, did not know if permitted.

Doctor N. Hjort with OB-GYN Associates of Mid-Florida
Old 06-18-2011, 09:14 AM
Veteran member

I will wait 30 minutes, then I get up and walk out. Receptionist called me about an hour later to find out where I was. Told her I was at work. She said you had an appointment today. I told her I was aware of my appointment and was there on time but that the Dr must have forgotten. Dead silence on phone, so I said would he like to reschedule? After a few minutes she gave me another day and time. When I went to that appointment I was in witin 10 minutes and no one mentioned what has happened before.

I will admit that sometimes I feel like I am just part of an assembly line. Are there any real Doctors who really care about there patients anymore? I would love to find one.

Last edited by GatorFan; 06-18-2011 at 09:15 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 06-18-2011, 11:49 AM
Eternal Member

I think a lot of the doctors aound here overbook. That is why I try for an early apointment. The earlier the better.

If I cannot get an early one, I bring a good book and wait.

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.