Anyone here have prediabetes?

Closed Thread
Old 05-25-2018, 04:40 PM
Veteran member

First test 6.1
Second test 5.8
Third (Walgreens Home test) 5.6

Definitely going in the right direction without medication.
It can be done if anyone is in a situation similar to mine. Cut way back on carbs. Actually trying to gain a few pounds now.
Old 05-25-2018, 05:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,208 Times in 1,172 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucernelson View Post
First test 6.1
Second test 5.8

It can be done if anyone is in a situation similar to mine. Cut way back on carbs. Actually trying to gain a few pounds now.
Nice work! Always good to hear these kinds of success stories which can be a real inspiration to others.
Old 05-25-2018, 05:20 PM
Sage

No one on a plant based diet has type II diabetes
Old 05-25-2018, 05:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
First test 6.1
Second test 5.8

Way to go Cousin Brucey. GE and another guy dbussone and another guy 2BNTV convinced me to go with The Villages Doctor.
I have attended the Lifestyle Class 5 times. It took until the 4th time to have all the suggestions my Dr makes sink in. Since that time I have lost almost 70 lbs. and feel great. I still have a biscuit or two to go to reach a better weigh. I'm on the correct track and am unstoppable. It feels so good to be doing this for me and my wife. I make an occasional mistake but don't dwell and get back to business quickly. Not having all the stress of back north has helped. Dr. Melidona and his staff are the best and I'm lucky to have them. A+++++

You mentioned Pizza and Chinese. Your lifelong love of both will solve itself easily in Florida. It's a surprise how but you'll see.
Old 05-25-2018, 08:35 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
Way to go Cousin Brucey. GE and another guy dbussone and another guy 2BNTV convinced me to go with The Villages Doctor.
I have attended the Lifestyle Class 5 times. It took until the 4th time to have all the suggestions my Dr makes sink in. Since that time I have lost almost 70 lbs. and feel great. I still have a biscuit or two to go to reach a better weigh. I'm on the correct track and am unstoppable. It feels so good to be doing this for me and my wife. I make an occasional mistake but don't dwell and get back to business quickly. Not having all the stress of back north has helped. Dr. Melidona and his staff are the best and I'm lucky to have them. A+++++

You mentioned Pizza and Chinese. Your lifelong love of both will solve itself easily in Florida. It's a surprise how but you'll see.
Likewise congrats Cousin Nucky! Have you lost your weight primarily through cutting way back on carbs? I’ve lost about 35 pounds which is about 5 pounds too much. I’ve found that gaining weight is not easy by increasing food intake if that intake is low carb.

Why will my lifelong love of pizza and Chinese be solved in Florida? Would that have anything to do with pizza and Chinese not being so good in Florida?
Old 05-25-2018, 11:10 PM
Veteran member

My best advice, aside from losing weight, is to buy a glucometer. Walmart has some for $10. No prescription is required and the test strips may be available at no charge through your insurance (with a prescription).

Everyone's metabolism is different. A food plan that works for one person may not work for you. It's easy to eat and test your glucose to see exactly how your own body responds.

I'd also recommend paying attention to and testing your reaction to sugar alcohols and so-called "net carbs." Personally, maltitol raises my blood sugar just the same as cane sugar.

Last edited by queasy27; 05-26-2018 at 10:11 AM.
Old 05-25-2018, 11:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
Likewise congrats Cousin Nucky! Have you lost your weight primarily through cutting way back on carbs? I’ve lost about 35 pounds which is about 5 pounds too much. I’ve found that gaining weight is not easy by increasing food intake if that intake is low carb.

Why will my lifelong love of pizza and Chinese be solved in Florida? Would that have anything to do with pizza and Chinese not being so good in Florida?
Yes, Sir, you have to come to that conclusion on your own. Maybe you will like Cardboard with Ketchup. Yuck. Just kidding.

I eat 6 or 7 times a day, 2 Lean & Green meals and the other times are snack like foods in reasonable amounts. The weight fly's off dependant on how much water I drink. We bought 14 cases of Aquafina for June. So 32 X 14 = 448 bottles in 30 days is 15 bottles a day. No Problem. Most important is 5 bottles done by 9 AM. Mrs. Nucky has 2 or 3 of the 15 bottles. Its a lot and I have had sparks flying off the zipper but no forest fire yet. Go back and read the post by GE. He's on the money and I'm a huuugghhh fan of his. (But Shrinking).

Glad you are getting settled in you ask fantastic questions. Take Care.
Old 05-26-2018, 03:39 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
Yes, Sir, you have to come to that conclusion on your own. Maybe you will like Cardboard with Ketchup. Yuck. Just kidding.

I eat 6 or 7 times a day, 2 Lean & Green meals and the other times are snack like foods in reasonable amounts. The weight fly's off dependant on how much water I drink. We bought 14 cases of Aquafina for June. So 32 X 14 = 448 bottles in 30 days is 15 bottles a day. No Problem. Most important is 5 bottles done by 9 AM. Mrs. Nucky has 2 or 3 of the 15 bottles. Its a lot and I have had sparks flying off the zipper but no forest fire yet. Go back and read the post by GE. He's on the money and I'm a huuugghhh fan of his. (But Shrinking).

Glad you are getting settled in you ask fantastic questions. Take Care.
I just reread golfing eagles post and he really does make some great, common-sense points.
A recent post recommends a plant-based diet which confuses me. Meat doesn’t appreciably increase blood sugar but grains and starches do. Why would a plant based diet mean no diabetes then?
Also Nucky you mention your water consumption and I don’t drink a lot of water. That’s probably something I need to do. The water you drink doesn’t include salt, does it?
Old 05-26-2018, 07:49 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
I just reread golfing eagles post and he really does make some great, common-sense points.
A recent post recommends a plant-based diet which confuses me. Meat doesn’t appreciably increase blood sugar but grains and starches do. Why would a plant based diet mean no diabetes then?
Also Nucky you mention your water consumption and I don’t drink a lot of water. That’s probably something I need to do. The water you drink doesn’t include salt, does it?
You might find it useful to watch the documentary "The Magic Pill" that you can find on Netflix or an Amazon download. Also, do some reading or listen to youtube videos by Dr Jason Fung. Sounds like you are doing great! Keep it up.

Drank the Kool-Aid and now own a home in Tamarind Grove. Yippee!!
Old 05-26-2018, 08:01 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanabanana73 View Post
You might find it useful to watch the documentary "The Magic Pill" that you can find on Netflix or an Amazon download. Also, do some reading or listen to youtube videos by Dr Jason Fung. Sounds like you are doing great! Keep it up.
Thanks lanabanana73. I will look into that stuff.
Old 05-26-2018, 10:04 AM
Sage
Lightbulb

Quote:
A recent post recommends a plant-based diet which confuses me. Meat doesn’t appreciably increase blood sugar
Any food high in saturated fats may contribute to worsening symptoms of type 2 diabetes.

Many studies have shown that red meat and processed meat like bacon and ham are all high in saturated fats that may raise your blood sugar levels. Moreover, too much protein can also raise your insulin levels.

Just google plant based & diabetes,

I have several friends that changed very quickly from having this issue.

It works, but some prefer drugs and enjoy eating more than living a longer drug free life

All about choices

Tags
weight, lose, i’m, i’ve, beer

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.