Anyone here have prediabetes?

Closed Thread
Old 01-08-2018, 08:54 AM

My suggestion is to take time to read labels on any food cans,jars bags and boxes. The high sugars in these items are what creates havoc with a diabetes eating lifestyle. Eating a small carb and a protein together as a snack several times a day instead of large meals helped me. No soda pop ,juices and beer helped keep numbers low.Educating oneself is the only way to understand what foods are too high in sugar content to eat anymore. If you do decide to cheat do it with the understanding that it is your choice to jeopardize yourself for 3 days after the event. Sweats, confusion and lethargy are the after effects of binging I found .
Good luck!
Old 01-08-2018, 08:56 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpaul530 View Post
In addition to what you are already doing, drink lots of water throughout the day, preferably alkaline. If you purchase anything in a box or bag, read all the ingredients. Most packaged food contain high fructose corn syrup and lots of chemicals. Eating fresh and organic and non-GMO when possible is the best. All processed foods contain things our body can't process so we store it. If you can't pronounce it, don't eat it.
Yeah we’ve been reading labels for salt content for years now as well high fructose corn syrup. Now checking for carbs too.

Oh how I wish I could have pancakes smothered in maple syrup!
Old 01-08-2018, 08:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
And when your grandkid finds a quarter under their pillow, it was left by the tooth fairy.

Aside from bizarre diets, let's add a little common sense and historical perspective to this discussion.

For decades, the definition of diabetes was 2 or more fasting blood sugars greater than 140 at a time of normal health. Then, some biochemist found a way to measure HbgA1C, a test designed to MONITOR the control of existing diabetics, not to DIAGNOSE anything, and good control was defined as 7.0% or less.

Now for the biggie----the endocrinologists got together, took a vote, and changed the definition to a fasting blood sugar of 128 or greater. Presto, chango, overnight there were about 6 million new diabetics in this country. Six million more patients to see , guess who?, --endocrinologists. Six million more to buy pills, see dieticians, join gyms, join weight watchers, buy glucometers and attend support groups. They also introduced "pre-diabetes" as a FBS of >100 and added borderline high HbgA1C values to the definition. I'd be willing to bet this has created a $150 billion/year economy all centered around borderline blood sugar readings (After all, we spend $80 billion/year on our dogs alone)

All well and fine if this had an eventual indisputable effect on diabetic complications including peripheral vascular disease, coronary artery disease, nephropathy, neuropathy and retinopathy, etc. However, there has not been a definitive study showing a long term beneficial effect for those with FBS between 100 and 128 that achieve lower numbers and have not become overtly diabetic. Also, no one has looked at the other end of the spectrum. By creating a population of tightly controlled "pre-diabetics", how many run borderline hypoglycemia leading to syncopal events and head trauma and hip fractures? No one knows.

So, I think common sense should prevail. Eat a healthy diet. Exercise regularly. Maintain ideal body weight. Take a pill if you need to. But don't run your entire life centered on a number from a blood test that may or may not mean something for you 10 or 20 years down the line.

PS. I am not anti-diet, I advocate it strongly, even if it is "plant based" or whatever. My FBS was 126 and HbgA1C 8.7%, whatever that really means. All I did was cut out Coca Cola and FBS dropped to 72 and HbgA1C to 4.9%---so yes, diet can make a tremendous difference---but it is not a "cure", since the underlying problem is genetic in nature.
Good to read. Also good to see you're back.

I don't think anyone should deprive themselves totally of any food unless they really believe they can live forever without it.

It's not dieting so much as a permanent lifestyle change that you can live with.

I didn't give up a lot of stuff so much as I gave up having a lot of that same stuff. I lost weight slowly and was able to ditch the one medication I was on.

Won't be living the rest of my life without wine or lobster.
Old 01-08-2018, 10:36 AM

I strongly suggest you get yourself educated on this. I did not and landed in the hospital. At the medical center in mulberry, they offer classes specifically for this, and I found them to be extremely informative. Also, if you have not yet done so, go to a doctor who specializes in this. I was referred to Dr Mercy, and have been quite pleased. - Best wishes Larry
Old 01-08-2018, 11:07 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucernelson View Post
Never heard of Carba-Nada pasta but that sounds good. Thanks for mentioning it!
I’m kind of liking spaghetti squash instead of pasta too.
Old 01-08-2018, 11:14 AM

A low carb diet will only benefit your doctor. Listen to Dr. John McDougall. He has a website.
Old 01-08-2018, 12:00 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Was recently diagnosed with this (A1C test). I’ve been trying to get educated on this and have read a couple books. Been cutting way down on carbs especially potatoes and bread. Also trying to lose weight in my gut as I’m really not overweight anywhere else. I’ve always been a beer guy. Exercising more. I’ll have an occasional red wine but haven’t had a beer since diagnosis mainly to lose weight. Trying to control portions. Previously a pizza night would be 5 or 6 pieces. No more. It’s especially tough to be doing this here in The Villages as my wife and I would eat out often at the town squares but I guess that was part of my problem. We still eat out but not as often and I’m very selective on what I order (salads, chicken, meats, etc.). Lost about 14 pounds in under a month. Any useful tips from anyone else in a similar situation would be appreciated.

Doctor told me I had it years ago. I changed nothing and now With another doctor I don’t seem to have it anymore. I realize I am in the minority but I feel some doctors would just like to see us more with these “ pre” diagnosis. The Dermatologists are another group hawking their Pre Cancerous diagnoses with seniors wearing their bandages as badges of honor. A lot of over the counter products may just be better. I am 95% “cured” of my “Pre Cancerous” keratosis which I had for 30 years and had at least 10 MOHS surgeries. I used a newly found Over the counter product and in just 30 days it is almost completely gone.

Enjoy yourself, it is later than you think but perhaps not as late as you think. It could result in paralysis through analysis.
Old 01-08-2018, 12:33 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagerjack View Post
Doctor told me I had it years ago. I changed nothing and now With another doctor I don’t seem to have it anymore. I realize I am in the minority but I feel some doctors would just like to see us more with these “ pre” diagnosis. The Dermatologists are another group hawking their Pre Cancerous diagnoses with seniors wearing their bandages as badges of honor. A lot of over the counter products may just be better. I am 95% “cured” of my “Pre Cancerous” keratosis which I had for 30 years and had at least 10 MOHS surgeries. I used a newly found Over the counter product and in just 30 days it is almost completely gone.

Enjoy yourself, it is later than you think but perhaps not as late as you think. It could result in paralysis through analysis.
My recovery, or improved A1C, could be as simple as lose the middle and don’t skip lunches. I’m probably over-doing it. I have a tendency to do that.
Old 01-08-2018, 05:01 PM
Gold member

Quote:
My recovery, or improved A1C, could be as simple as lose the middle and don’t skip lunches. I’m probably over-doing it. I have a tendency to do that.
Don’t forget to have some fun. You deserve it and that is why you moved to the fun place of the world. Don’t let some of the self interested doctors and their groupies spoil it for you. Common sense wins the day.
Old 01-08-2018, 05:55 PM

Also "google" Glycemic Index...... the lower the number, the better it is. I like the article from Harvard Health Publishing, Harvard Medical School, called "Glycemic index and glycemic load for 100+ foods. For instance, Watermelon has a high glycemic incex (80). But a serving of watermelon has so little carbs (6 grams), that its glycemic load is only 5.

My husband has also switched to brown rice and Uncle Ben's Rice instead of potatoes..... for this reason.
Old 01-08-2018, 06:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts
Default some spaghetti squash ideas

Quote:
I’m kind of liking spaghetti squash instead of pasta too.
Brucernelson, here are some ideas for spaghetti squash. I particularly like the spaghetti sauce one.

spaghetti squash | Skinnytaste
Old 01-08-2018, 06:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,208 Times in 1,172 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
Brucernelson, here are some ideas for spaghetti squash. I particularly like the spaghetti sauce one.

Wow.....those look like some great dishes! Thanks for sharing on here, CFrance.
Old 01-08-2018, 07:19 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagerjack View Post

I like your way of thinking. My son is a physician and he says everyone is either diabetic or pre diabetic . If you have it, you’re diabetic. If you don’t, you’re pre diabetic. LOL
Old 01-08-2018, 08:54 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post

Thanks CFrance. Cant wait to try those!
And you are making me go to bed hungry.
Old 01-08-2018, 09:18 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,621 Times in 1,764 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by perrjojo View Post
I like your way of thinking. My son is a physician and he says everyone is either diabetic or pre diabetic . If you have it, you’re diabetic. If you don’t, you’re pre diabetic. LOL
As I understand it as we age we all trend toward becoming diabetic. Of course some groups are more genetically inclined toward diabetes so must deal with it earlier in life.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Closed Thread

Tags
weight, lose, i’m, i’ve, beer

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.