Aortic valve surgery

Closed Thread
Old 02-09-2011, 11:21 AM
Default Aortic valve surgery

My cardiologist is recommending a Dr. Cook in Leesburg. I have heard Munroe in Ocala is the best in this area. Cook doesn't go there. I would appreciate input. Its driving me crazy trying to find a top surgeon and hospital without going to Shands in Gainesville. Help!
Old 02-09-2011, 11:39 AM
Platinum member

My wife had by-pass at Leesburg. They were great, Dr. Cook was in the group with her surgeon.
Old 02-09-2011, 01:19 PM

I don't know anything about Dr Cook but afriend in the Villages just had open heart surgery at Munro in Ocala and was very happy. good luck.
Old 02-09-2011, 02:42 PM

Have you looked at Healthgrades. Dr Cook. All Florida Cardiac Surgeons sorted by Patient Rating.
Old 02-09-2011, 02:54 PM

Thanks
Old 02-09-2011, 04:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by glooney34 View Post
My cardiologist is recommending a Dr. Cook in Leesburg. I have heard Munroe in Ocala is the best in this area. Cook doesn't go there. I would appreciate input. Its driving me crazy trying to find a top surgeon and hospital without going to Shands in Gainesville. Help!
My choice would be Shands in Gainesville. It isn't that far away.

Aortic valve replacement or repair is quite a bit different than a by pass.
Old 02-09-2011, 04:48 PM
Sage

Can't help you with heart problems, as we haven't had to deal with them (yet).
However, I would prefer to go to Munroe too if there was time to choose. My husband had cervical spine surgery there and the care was excellent.
Old 02-09-2011, 04:58 PM

Dr cook did quad bypass surg. on my wife and then later installed a pacemaker. He did a good job and i would recommend him. Now my wife is fine. Good luck to you.
Old 02-09-2011, 05:42 PM

Do not worry about distance you want a doctor and hospital that does this often and with the latest state of the art equipment. If it were me or a family member I'd be at the Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/heart-valve-surgery/

http://www.mayoclinic.org/mayo-clinic-hospital-jax/
Old 02-09-2011, 05:42 PM

My mother-in-law rec'd excellent care at Leesburg when she had a double by pass.
The cardiac wing is very impressive and the staff top knotch.
Old 02-09-2011, 07:45 PM
Gold member
Default Leesburg Ocala heart Institute

Dr Cook is one of the heart surgeons in this group who work at LRMC. My wife had aortic valve replacement, repair to ascending aorta and a single by- pass done in Oct by his associate, Dr Tim Moore.

Everything went well and the quality of care initially in LRMC Cardiac ICU and follow on care in cardiac care unit was in our opinion, second to none.This is an outstanding facility staffed by wonderful caring Doctors and Nurses.

These doctors have extensive experience and a side note, Dr Moore asked to pray with us before the surgery and I was told they all pray in O.R. before surgery and have Christian music playing throughout the procedures.

Dr Moore's PA Tom Jones, was also terrific.
Old 02-10-2011, 09:12 AM

I give another vote for Munroe. Had open heart there for mitral valve and the care was outstanding. Dr. Galat did the procedure and he too prayed prior to me going under. Had another type of heart procedure done at Leesburg and IMHO they did not compare to Munroe. They were only a step above The Villages hospital. It's a big decision. If you have confidence in your cardiologist, you may just want to go with his recommendation.
Old 02-10-2011, 09:20 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hancle704 View Post
Dr Cook is one of the heart surgeons in this group who work at LRMC. My wife had aortic valve replacement, repair to ascending aorta and a single by- pass done in Oct by his associate, Dr Tim Moore.

Everything went well and the quality of care initially in LRMC Cardiac ICU and follow on care in cardiac care unit was in our opinion, second to none.This is an outstanding facility staffed by wonderful caring Doctors and Nurses.

These doctors have extensive experience and a side note, Dr Moore asked to pray with us before the surgery and I was told they all pray in O.R. before surgery and have Christian music playing throughout the procedures.

Dr Moore's PA Tom Jones, was also terrific.
I was only reading this thread (for just in case, future information). I liked this response!!! A doctor who prays would get "high" marks from me...but I'd also look at his credentials and track record. If all lined up well, THEN I'd definately go with this guy!!
Old 02-10-2011, 02:35 PM
Default Dr. Moore

His record seems to be excellent, as far as I can tell. Thanks for all the comments- keep them coming.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.