Apple season's here again? And once again misconceptions are bountiful

Closed Thread
Old 10-01-2014, 11:08 AM
Sage
Default Apple season's here again? And once again misconceptions are bountiful

On lifestyle page D5 of today's Daily Sun, there are a couple of articles on the health benefits of apples and apple juice. See if you can find out how, taken as a whole, these articles might be confusing and misleading.

Hint #1: The popular saying is: An apple a day keeps the doctor away.

Hint #2: There's no saying that says: Drinking apple juice everyday keeps the doctor away.

Note: A hint is just a hint and not to be taken literally.

Last edited by Villages PL; 10-01-2014 at 12:39 PM.
Old 10-01-2014, 11:14 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Sometimes VPL. You are too literal.
Old 10-01-2014, 11:28 AM
Soaring Eagle member

An apple a day keeps the doctor away. . . unless you choke on a worm.
Old 10-01-2014, 11:41 AM
Email Reported As Spam

I once interview a woman who had a job testing the freshness of stored apples. Her testing was to ensure that no atmosphere was present. she said the apples on the shelve stores today were probably a harvest from two or three years ago. Technology has probably advance 10 fold since I interviewed her in 1985.

An apple a day keep the doctor away.

A recent article in WSJ concerning the reversal on meat had a heading "A steak a day keeps the doctor away".

You get the feeling that someone is just playing with us?

Well I did agree with the auto tech guy that said they really do manufacture left hand money wrenches
Old 10-01-2014, 12:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
I once interview a woman who had a job testing the freshness of stored apples. Her testing was to ensure that no atmosphere was present. she said the apples on the shelve stores today were probably a harvest from two or three years ago. Technology has probably advance 10 fold since I interviewed her in 1985.

An apple a day keep the doctor away.

A recent article in WSJ concerning the reversal on meat had a heading "A steak a day keeps the doctor away".

You get the feeling that someone is just playing with us?

Well I did agree with the auto tech guy that said they really do manufacture left hand money wrenches
Isn't that Monkey Wrench
Old 10-01-2014, 12:34 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Sometimes VPL. You are too literal.
I edited my opening post. Sorry, I thought it would be obvious that a hint is just a hint and not to be taken literally. However, it's interesting to note that no one has ever said that drinking apple juice would do the same as eating an apple.
Old 10-01-2014, 01:06 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
......she said the apples on the shelve stores today were probably a harvest from two or three years ago.
That was not to be taken literally, right? If so, where is there any proof that apples are kept more than a year from harvest.

The lesson I learned is to buy organic apples in season. Aldi didn't have any out of season. So I assume they are not kept in artificial long term storage.
Old 10-01-2014, 03:01 PM
Platinum member

This is a very confusing thread. My take away is, if you want an apple, eat an apple!!
Old 10-01-2014, 04:16 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYGUY View Post
This is a very confusing thread. My take away is, if you want an apple, eat an apple!!
Unless your name is Eve!
Old 10-01-2014, 05:39 PM
Sage

EXCELLENT Indy!
Old 10-02-2014, 11:59 AM
Sage
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indydealmaker View Post
An apple a day keeps the doctor away. . . unless you choke on a worm.
So juicing might be better if you can't chew well; no one ever choked on a juiced worm.

The very best apples are usually sold individually or in 3lb bags. The rest are juiced. So it's not likely that worms will be in whole apples.

Old 10-08-2014, 07:49 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages PL View Post
That was not to be taken literally, right? If so, where is there any proof that apples are kept more than a year from harvest.

The lesson I learned is to buy organic apples in season. Aldi didn't have any out of season. So I assume they are not kept in artificial long term storage.
bad assumption, just like non 'organic' apples (if such a thing really existed as all apples are organic and not artificial) the 'in-season' apples you are buying could have also been stored a year or more...this does not change just because it was grown without pesticides....you don't want to know how old fresh squeezed OJ can be!
Old 10-08-2014, 08:43 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages PL View Post
I edited my opening post. Sorry, I thought it would be obvious that a hint is just a hint and not to be taken literally. However, it's interesting to note that no one has ever said that drinking apple juice would do the same as eating an apple.
I agree 100% Apple juice will raise your blood sugar level as fast as almost anything. It has an extremely high glycemic index. I shudder when I think of the damage that we did to our children by filling them up with what we thought was a healthy alternative to soda. Apple juice has a glycemic index of about 40. While this is lower than soda which comes in at around 65 it is still extremely high. Many people believe that eating apples is very healthy and much healthier than drinking apple juice because of the pectin (fiber) in the apples. While the pectin does slow the absorption of sugar, the glycemic index of an apple is 38. Not much better than apple juice.
I try to be very careful of fruits and eat only small amounts of them.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 10-08-2014, 11:04 AM

So many different varieties of apples to choose from these days. Most of them I never heard of in my youth some 60 years ago.
How did this happen? I'm betting the basic apple has been genetically modified to produce so many different varieties of texture, taste, color, size, etc. that we enjoy today.
Probably happened via a process called selective breeding.
Old 10-08-2014, 11:41 AM
Platinum member
Send a message via Skype™ to SALYBOW
Default Apples

Where can you purchase large quantities of apples for apples sauce at a decent price.

When God made me he said Ta Da!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.