Apple season's here again? And once again misconceptions are bountiful

Closed Thread
Old 10-08-2014, 01:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by looneycat View Post
bad assumption, just like non 'organic' apples (if such a thing really existed as all apples are organic and not artificial) the 'in-season' apples you are buying could have also been stored a year or more...this does not change just because it was grown without pesticides....you don't want to know how old fresh squeezed OJ can be!
Organic refers to the way the apples are grown. Only organic "chemicals" are used. Things like manure are used instead of chemical fertilizer and natural insect repellants are used instead of chemical pesticides. Certain standards have to be met in order to sell fruit marked "organic".

But you're correct, the term "organic apples" is incorrect. Organically grown apples is what they should be called.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 10-08-2014, 01:55 PM
Sage

An apple is not equal to apple juice.
Eve ate a fruit not identified except As one coming from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil.
I am literal, and VPL could help many of us with nutrition, me, for example.
Old 10-08-2014, 01:55 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SALYBOW View Post
Where can you purchase large quantities of apples for apples sauce at a decent price.
Up north...

Just sharing..
And a Poem my brother wrote in second grade:

I had a little Apple
I polished it one day
No matter how I polished it
The worm would not go away.
Old 10-09-2014, 08:20 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

We had a small apple orchard as a child we would harvest the apples. Then they were placed in barrels with sawdust around them and then packed into the cellar they would last for the whole winter and the spring and then through the next Apple season. What apples were left when the new apples need to be packed, we made applesauce out of them or pies. Apples were just as perfect as the day they were picked.
Old 10-09-2014, 11:23 AM

I don't get it. If apples do not contain traces of arsenic, but apple juice does, then where does the arsenic come from? Do the juice manufacturers add it in?
Guess that's why I always find nutritional advice so confusing.
Old 10-09-2014, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonerboy View Post
I don't get it. If apples do not contain traces of arsenic, but apple juice does, then where does the arsenic come from? Do the juice manufacturers add it in?
Guess that's why I always find nutritional advice so confusing.
I believe it is from imported apples, used for juice, where unregulated pesticides are used.
Old 10-10-2014, 02:49 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by looneycat View Post
bad assumption, just like non 'organic' apples (if such a thing really existed as all apples are organic and not artificial) the 'in-season' apples you are buying could have also been stored a year or more...this does not change just because it was grown without pesticides....you don't want to know how old fresh squeezed OJ can be!
Organic apples won't keep for very long without some sort of chemical intervention and chemicals are not allowed to be used.

Last edited by Villages PL; 10-11-2014 at 11:41 AM.
Old 10-11-2014, 12:14 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
I agree 100% Apple juice will raise your blood sugar level as fast as almost anything. It has an extremely high glycemic index. I shudder when I think of the damage that we did to our children by filling them up with what we thought was a healthy alternative to soda. Apple juice has a glycemic index of about 40. While this is lower than soda which comes in at around 65 it is still extremely high. Many people believe that eating apples is very healthy and much healthier than drinking apple juice because of the pectin (fiber) in the apples. While the pectin does slow the absorption of sugar, the glycemic index of an apple is 38. Not much better than apple juice.
I try to be very careful of fruits and eat only small amounts of them.
This is true, therefore I would suggest eating a small apple together with a low glycemic meal. Or an apple as a mid day snack might include 6 to 8 almonds. High and low glycemic items together should bring balance.

Here's what I objected to in the newspaper articles that I never got around to explaining. One small article gave great praise to the healthful qualities of apples. It consisted of a big picture of someone biting into an apple with about 10 lines of dialogue under it. The column next to it, written by a dietitian, also gave great praise to apples in the last paragraph, after comparing apple cider and apple juice at the beginning. The last paragraph starts off singing the praises of apples. There were a total of three sentences. The second sentence continued singing the praises of apples. Then the final sentence of the column stated, "So, taking one serving of apple juice every day facilitates the heart to function properly."

That's how she concluded the last paragraph. She went from explaining how healthful apples are to recommending one serving of apple juice every day, as if the two items are totally equal as far as health. That was a dietitian! How many readers went away convinced, after reading her column, that apple juice is a healthy product that compares favorably with eating an apple?
Old 10-11-2014, 12:42 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,308 Times in 542 Posts

Growing up close to "apple country" we went to the orchard and got our apples freshly picked right off the tree. Mom made fried apple pies, apple cobbler, etc. "those were the days." You can still do it!
Old 10-13-2014, 06:49 AM

I am going to pick an apple off one of my trees today, no pesticides, and very good.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.