Apples: New (gaseous) compound to maximize storage

Closed Thread
Old 12-20-2013, 05:41 PM
Sage
Default Apples: New (gaseous) compound to maximize storage

This is about a recent innovation to keep apples in storage longer. They say it's needed because Michigan has a record yield. This gaseous compound is called 1-methylcyclopropene or 1-MCP. It temporarily keeps apples from their normal ripening.

The apples are sealed in a room and fans spread the gaseous compound so it can penetrate into the fruit.

The article I read in the Daily Sun (on November 11, 2013) didn't say if it was approved by the FDA. Has it been tested for safety? There was no mention of whether this compound remains in the apple after it has served it's purpose. I imagine it would because once it's in the apple, it's not a gas anymore. It's a man-made compound, not food. I for one don't want artificial man-made compounds in my food.

I realize organic is always an option, I'm just disappointed in the direction things are going. It's getting to the point where everything is chemically tainted in some way.

If you like to eat fruit as a way to promote health, I'd be interested in your opinion. Thanks.
Old 12-21-2013, 07:33 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages PL View Post
This is about a recent innovation to keep apples in storage longer. They say it's needed because Michigan has a record yield. This gaseous compound is called 1-methylcyclopropene or 1-MCP. It temporarily keeps apples from their normal ripening.

The apples are sealed in a room and fans spread the gaseous compound so it can penetrate into the fruit.

The article I read in the Daily Sun (on November 11, 2013) didn't say if it was approved by the FDA. Has it been tested for safety? There was no mention of whether this compound remains in the apple after it has served it's purpose. I imagine it would because once it's in the apple, it's not a gas anymore. It's a man-made compound, not food. I for one don't want artificial man-made compounds in my food.

I realize organic is always an option, I'm just disappointed in the direction things are going. It's getting to the point where everything is chemically tainted in some way. But they are Yummy!!!!!!!

If you like to eat fruit as a way to promote health, I'd be interested in your opinion. Thanks.
The state of Washington probably has the biggest crop of apples then any other state I believe. They have what they call Controlled Atmosphere Storage, carefully controlled by the state. Careful control of Temp, Oxygen, Carbon Monoxide and Humidity, slows down the ripening process. It's non chemical. When done correctly, apples can last up to 12 months, and still have that crispness and taste. It's no wonder you see abundant of apples in spring and summer, when you know apples are usually only picked in fall or so. I'm always amazed to see so many choices of apples in the summer, when I know they were picked in the fall the prior year. I'm not sure what other states do, but Washington is carefully watched and controlled by the state itself.
Old 12-23-2013, 09:59 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaPaLarry View Post
The state of Washington probably has the biggest crop of apples then any other state I believe. They have what they call Controlled Atmosphere Storage, carefully controlled by the state. Careful control of Temp, Oxygen, Carbon Monoxide and Humidity, slows down the ripening process. It's non chemical. When done correctly, apples can last up to 12 months, and still have that crispness and taste. It's no wonder you see abundant of apples in spring and summer, when you know apples are usually only picked in fall or so. I'm always amazed to see so many choices of apples in the summer, when I know they were picked in the fall the prior year. I'm not sure what other states do, but Washington is carefully watched and controlled by the state itself.
Thanks, Larry, I'll try to remember that: When in doubt, choose Washington apples. One of the problems with the gaseous compound is that it slowly destroys the apple's antioxidants.

I suppose another strategy would be to just eat apples when they are in season. Perhaps I should stop buying them in January?
Old 12-23-2013, 10:35 AM
Sage

Honeycrisp apples, the best!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.