» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements

Arbor Medical Group - Pain Management, Gastro, Internal Med
Old 08-13-2016, 12:25 PM

Default Arbor Medical Group - Pain Management, Gastro, Internal Med

Patrick Alger, MD is a young doctor with creative, fresh, comprehensive, and current potential solutions for chronic and acute pain issues, whatever their source. I had polio as a child, and in the past four decades I've been diagnosed with everything from fibromyalgia to osteoarthritis to scoliosis to bulging and desiccated discs. I've had three major back surgeries, including a fusion.

Two years ago the pain was so severe that I was accepted as a candidate for a neural transmitter embedded in my spinal cord. It has worked well--except that I didn't realize that it would not help with any pain other than that caused neurologically, which turned out to be about 25% of the pain.

No doctor had any further suggestions other than pain meds, many of which are narcotic and have unpleasant side effects; and muscle relaxants, which left me groggy all the time. Strange as it may sound, I preferred the pain to the mental and physical impairment I had from these meds. Then a friend recommended Dr. Alger, who had countless modalities for treating pain depending on its nature and cause. In my case he suggested cortisone injections, which are common, to lubricate specific lower back joints, and trigger point procedures based on my showing him exactly the spots that hurt the most as he probed my back.

The results are unbelievable! I am continuing the series of injections focused on specific joints close to the base of my spine, an area that's still problematic. However, for the first time I can remember, the rest of my back up to my neck is pain-free; one side of my neck has responded fully to treatment, the other partially, and he will treat that side once more. Gone is the chronic, unremitting, debilitating pain over most of my back, and Dr. Alger will continue to treat what pain remains.

Following is his contact info; you can tell him Quixote so highly recommended him. (No, I don't get a finder's fee.... [smile])

Patrick Alger, MD
Arbor Medical at Laurel Manor (golf cart accessible)
(352) 205-8812

Last edited by Ad poster; 08-28-2017 at 11:21 PM. Reason: fine tuning ...

Old 08-13-2016, 12:29 PM
Veteran member

Such great news and thanks for letting the rest of us know about a good doc in TV.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-2016, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blessed2BNTV View Post
Such great news and thanks for letting the rest of us know about a good doc in TV.
BTW, also an interesting guy who's easy to talk to and is a good listener.
Old 08-13-2016, 04:20 PM
Soaring Eagle member

It's great you're having some success, but I think cortisone is classified as a drug.
Old 08-13-2016, 07:43 PM
Sage

So good to read your post. So good to hear.
Old 08-14-2016, 10:04 AM

I highly recommend Dr. Patrick Alger. I, too, was struggling with back pain and found relief with the treatments he suggested. I had epidurals in my back that dropped my pain level to zero. He is very easy to talk to and does listen to what I am saying. I was very happy to hear that his ultimate goal was to get me off of all the pain medication that I was on. I am so happy I made the decision to change doctors.
Old 08-14-2016, 10:09 AM
Sage

Dr. Alger sounds like a wonderful doctor.
Old 08-14-2016, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlaw View Post
It's great you're having some success, but I think cortisone is classified as a drug.
Sorry, I guess I was thinking more along the lines of the obvious than the literal. When I said 'drugs,' I was thinking of the types of oral-administered drugs I mentioned, like muscle relaxants and narcotic and non-narcotic pain relievers, and not an injectable joint lubricant.

I posted this to share a very positive medical experience. I likely would not have done so had it been merely 'some success'; it's the enormity of the success in relation to the degree of pain relief I'm so gratefully experiencing, coupled with the frequency that living in TV I hear of people suffering with unremitting pain, that prompted me to share about Dr. Alger.
Old 08-14-2016, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
Dr. Alger sounds like a wonderful doctor.
Not sure how your insurance would work, but when you're here from Canada, if you experience the degree of pain (no matter the source) that you feel calls for intervention, Dr. Alger is the person to see. Seriously.
Be Careful
Old 08-14-2016, 11:03 PM
Platinum member

Post Be Careful

I'm glad to hear that cortisone shots are working for you, but be aware of a couple of things.

One is that is this is not some new miracle treatment. Cortisone shots have been around for decades. My vet used cortisone shots to treat my arthritic dog in 1985.

The other is that you can only have a limited number of cortisone shots in a year because of potential side effects, which can be quite dangerous to your health. In my case, the shots in my spine, including one directly into a particular facet, were completely ineffective.

Potential long term side effects of repeated cortisone shots include Weight gain, Puffiness of the face, Higher blood pressure, Cataract formation, and Thinning of the bones (osteoporosis). Diabetics should be wary because it can raise your blood sugar.

I'm not saying not to try it. Just be aware that it is not new medicine, and be wary of the possible negative side effects.

Best wishes.

Last edited by Carl in Tampa; 08-14-2016 at 11:08 PM.

Tags
pain, back, alger, side, neck