Arbor Medical Group - Pain Management, Gastro, Internal Med

Arbor Medical Group - Pain Management, Gastro, Internal Med

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements

Old 08-15-2016, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl in Tampa View Post
I'm glad to hear that cortisone shots are working for you, but be aware of a couple of things.

One is that is this is not some new miracle treatment. Cortisone shots have been around for decades. My vet used cortisone shots to treat my arthritic dog in 1985.

The other is that you can only have a limited number of cortisone shots in a year because of potential side effects, which can be quite dangerous to your health. In my case, the shots in my spine, including one directly into a particular facet, were completely ineffective.

Potential long term side effects of repeated cortisone shots include Weight gain, Puffiness of the face, Higher blood pressure, Cataract formation, and Thinning of the bones (osteoporosis). Diabetics should be wary because it can raise your blood sugar.

I'm not saying not to try it. Just be aware that it is not new medicine, and be wary of the possible negative side effects.

Best wishes.
Thank you, Carl in Tampa, for your concern. I actually had a series of cortisone shots into my lower back some 20 or so years ago and got little if any relief from them. I had prednisone (a similar steroid) for a completely unrelated issue in 1975 ... and I know the side effects. I decided to try it once more.

I must add, though, that the shots have been the smaller part of the treatment I'm receiving from Dr. Alger. The greatest gain—probably 90% of the relief I can't quite believe I'm experiencing—is coming from the trigger point procedures, which I know is hardly a new technology too. However, Dr. Alger is the only MD who suggested it and was willing to do the procedures—and out of desperation I was willing to try virtually anything (as long as no drugs were involved). As I had written earlier, the relief is unbelievable!

Last edited by Quixote; 08-15-2016 at 12:18 AM. Reason: refining ...

Old 11-27-2017, 07:50 PM

ive had trigger point injections by my nurse practitioner at urgent care..they help me a lot.... 441 urgent care does a great job and you dont have to wait for an appointment.
Sponsored Links

Tags
pain, back, alger, side, neck